Main Menu

Prog 1887 Private Hell!

Started by Mattofthespurs, 21 June, 2014, 09:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toni Scandella

that Indigo Prime story really is hard to follow in the digital version of the prog - the 2 page spreads are so dense that it becomes even more disorienting to try and read.  Looking forward to the trade!  Or the movie.  The movie would be interesting.  What's Daviid Lynch up to now he's finished with the Twin Peaks Blu Ray?

Trout

Quote from: Toni Scandella on 26 June, 2014, 07:54:54 PM
that Indigo Prime story really is hard to follow in the digital version of the prog - the 2 page spreads are so dense that it becomes even more disorienting to try and read. 

I disagree. I get the digital version and I enjoy it. Sometimes I have to zoom in and out but that's OK.

Fungus

Very poor prog for me. Nazi, Christ, Nazi, Christ ? Really ?

Cover   Nice, but not top 10. I enjoy painterly very much, but zombies do nothing for me.

Dredd  Enjoyed the finale, if not the slow progress getting there, this was not a 5-part story...
      Interesting nostrils on last page.

Hitler Thing  Slight.

Indigo Prime  12 pages ? "Cancer-causing catechisms of Christhulhu" ? Make this stop!

Grey Area  5 pages to establish "first contact" ? Um, no, that'll happen next prog.

Very unsatisfying prog, but I seem to be in a small minority on this.

Frank

Quote from: Trout on 27 June, 2014, 01:50:59 AM
that Indigo Prime story really is hard to follow in the digital version of the prog - the 2 page spreads are so dense that it becomes even more disorienting to try and read. 

I disagree. I get the digital version and I enjoy it. Sometimes I have to zoom in and out but that's OK.

I think Toni's talking more about the way double page spreads are presented as two separate pages. On a strip like the recent Sláine, where there are maybe only two or three bits of text per page, it isn't difficult to mentally stitch the narrative together and imagine the order in which you should have read the dialogue. When 2000 years of (alternative) history and theology are being compressed into a couple of spreads, that task becomes more challenging.

James Stacey

Catching up from the hols. One thing that struck me was the movement in IP. With Mr Carters previous work it was always a bit stiff and posed but none of that now. Lovely stuff.

Apestrife

Quote from: sauchie on 25 June, 2014, 09:36:04 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 25 June, 2014, 09:13:50 PM
Trauma town ended on a high note for me. "Time to wake up." was one of the coolest endings I'v read in a while now.

Psi dude picked the right judge to contact regarding putting him out of his misery. Dredd must have killed or jailed half the named judges with whom he's shared a page.

Would be cool if further stories called that into question  :D

Toni Scandella

Quote from: sauchie on 27 June, 2014, 06:40:57 AM
Quote from: Trout on 27 June, 2014, 01:50:59 AM

I think Toni's talking more about the way double page spreads are presented as two separate pages. On a strip like the recent Sláine, where there are maybe only two or three bits of text per page, it isn't difficult to mentally stitch the narrative together and imagine the order in which you should have read the dialogue. When 2000 years of (alternative) history and theology are being compressed into a couple of spreads, that task becomes more challenging.

Yes, I was referring to the two page spreads being split into single pages - it is easier on a PC, where you can view two pages as a double page spread - but it would work better in a digital version to present 2 page spreads as a single image - then you can zoom in. 

Frank

Quote from: Toni Scandella on 29 June, 2014, 09:34:51 AM
I was referring to the two page spreads being split into single pages - it is easier on a PC, where you can view two pages as a double page spread - but it would work better in a digital version to present 2 page spreads as a single image - then you can zoom in.

Yep, that seems like the easiest solution, and I own other digital comics which do exactly that. The issue was raised in a recent interview with Pye Parr, who puts together each issue of 2000ad, and he didn't even seem to be aware there was a problem. He says he has a programme that turns each issue into a digital version of the prog, which he just lets run by itself for 20-30 minutes. He did say he'd see if there was anything he could do to remedy the problem, but that was more than a month ago.

IndigoPrime

On the two-page-spread issue, what format are people using? On the iPad, for example, just hold the device in landscape and you get pages two-up. If you're downloading CBRs and PDFs from elsewhere, what you see is more down to the reader than anything else. (Again on the iPad, Comic Zeal only shows single pages, whereas the likes of Chunky have a DPS option.

Frank

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 June, 2014, 09:37:20 PM
On the two-page-spread issue, what format are people using? On the iPad, for example, just hold the device in landscape and you get pages two-up. If you're downloading CBRs and PDFs from elsewhere, what you see is more down to the reader than anything else. (Again on the iPad, Comic Zeal only shows single pages, whereas the likes of Chunky have a DPS option.

CBR from Clickwheel, reading on ComicRack. If you come out of full screen and go to two pages on screen at a time, the pages are still presented as two separate pages with a gutter between them. My CBR of Roses Of Berlin presents double page spreads as seamless double page spreads without any such fannying around.

I, Cosh

Quote from: sauchie on 29 June, 2014, 09:47:23 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 June, 2014, 09:37:20 PM

CBR from Clickwheel, reading on ComicRack. If you come out of full screen and go to two pages on screen at a time, the pages are still presented as two separate pages with a gutter between them. My CBR of Roses Of Berlin presents double page spreads as seamless double page spreads without any such fannying around.
See. I've been meaning to ask about this because youve kept mentioning it. Im also reading the Clickwheel Prog on Comicrack and there is no gutter at all: rotating the iPad snaps to a perfect join. Same in the 2000ad app.
We never really die.

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 29 June, 2014, 10:00:01 PM
Quote from: sauchie on 29 June, 2014, 09:47:23 PM
See. I've been meaning to ask about this because youve kept mentioning it. Im also reading the Clickwheel Prog on Comicrack and there is no gutter at all: rotating the iPad snaps to a perfect join. Same in the 2000ad app

After fannying about with ComicRack for a while, I've realised that the 'join' I've been moaning about is actually a guide superimposed by the reader. I'll fanny around some more and see if I can get rid of it. I'm reading on my laptop rather than the tablet, because of the larger screen, so no tilt to turn for me. I suppose the only whine that leaves me with is coming out of full screen to toggle the page layout. There are worse afflictions.