Main Menu

Bish-OP goes eBay crazy!

Started by davidbishop, 26 May, 2007, 01:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gurnard

Yeah this sniping thing.  I only recently got to bidding on ebay managed to avoid being dragged into the whole thing for years.  But looking at it what does the sniping software give you that ebay does not.  If you set your maximum bid then surely, even if someone snipes, then ebay will up your bid for you to the max that you want to pay, like buttonman says.  Or am I missing something about this sniping malarky?

Marbles

Sniping really only adresses the issue that people are not logical. They don't actually put in their genuine maximum bid. When they see that they are outbid, they decide to bid again, going over their previous maximum bid. Its pyschological and of course ultimately irrational.

With sniping, you don't allow people to behave in this manner (& very many do) because they have no time to re-bid.  

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper_%28auction_bid%29" target="_blank">Wikipedia - Sniping

Remember - dry hair is for squids

Mike Carroll

OK, I admit that you're all right about sniping not really being that bad, it's just really annoying when you've put in a bid on something and no one else has bid for ages, and you think you're going to win, then - bam! - sniped at the last few seconds.

-- Mike

gurnard

I dont get it really.  If you put in your maximum bid (not just a normal bid but the max bid service on ebay), say 100 for instance, but the highest bid is only 50, and you win with that, then 50 is what you pay. So surely that is the same thing

gurnard

gurnard

ok I think I get it now, I just got sniped on the Tornado set, bugger, I guess I have a lot to learn about this ebay stuff.