Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Quote from: Trent on 26 March, 2017, 09:50:06 AM
Of the remaining books we are pretty certain on the contents of about half of them so there is still plently of room for speculation.
Take Independent Operators or Weird Science. As far as I know that is all we have on those books so far.
Other than Lenny Zero and Wally Squad (112 pages combined) what is in the next book?
Add to that 3 or 4 volumes we don't even have titles for, only the vaguest idea based on where they fall in the collection and I would say there is plenty to talk about.
Far more than I would expect at this stage.

Apologies if this comes over as preachy or overly anal, had a rough chemo last time and have spent far too much time the past week in bed contemplating my navel.

I guess the Domino/Black Ops character might fall under Independent Operators.

Maybe Bato Loco or Marauder?

Possibly the Shirley Temple of Doom story?

Trent

Shirley Temple of Doom would probably fit in The Hunting Party best to my mind.
Not sure what else, non-Dredd we might expect;
Marauder
Tempest
Pan-African Judges
Bato Loco
Harke and Burr
Harmony

There are several others that either had short runs or I simply can't bring myself to type.

I would MUCH prefer another 2 or 3 themed Dredd books as I think these work really well as a solid read and sets the collection apart from the Case Files and existing trades (mostly).

TordelBack

Tony Angelino

Despite writing to Hachette, cancelling my subscription in a rage over a certain Garth Ennis strip a while ago, they are still sending me the two issues every month (they're still charging me as well).

I received my latest parcel today and I opened it in a fury only to find the Mean Machine volume. Not only Dredd Angel but the Three Amigos included as well. Great stuff. I think the reproduction on Three Amigos could have been better but overall can't complain.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 27 March, 2017, 10:36:39 PM
they are still sending me the two issues every month (they're still charging me as well).

Cancel the direct debit. They'll soon stop sending you books.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tony Angelino

That would have been the best option. I'm going to have to check the upcoming volumes again now though as Mean Machine has put me back in the mood to keep getting them.

JaHawkDroid

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 27 March, 2017, 10:44:55 PM
That would have been the best option. I'm going to have to check the upcoming volumes again now though as Mean Machine has put me back in the mood to keep getting them.

If you've got the entire collection so far, I wouldn't be able to resist keeping it going just to have the full set. I'm a completionist though.

Davgardo

Cursed Earth Carnage really tested my patience - forking out £10 for Helltrekkers? The Citi-Def art was completely soulless - and that's the worst thing I can say about any artwork. It can be poorly laid out, poorly drawn, badly inked, but soulless? it brought to mind that computer created artwork predicted in The Art of Kenny Who? all those years ago. And Sleeze n Ryder was just an insult.

So I completely get why you might have wavered. But the Mean volume was decent and this month's Tour of Duty and Missionary Man have put me back on board.

It's such a shame we've had the odd dodgy volume. I can understand poor stuff being commissioned in the first place, but reprinting the bad stuff (I think we can all agree that Sleeze, Calhab, Brit Cit Brute, Corps are bad) seems unforgiveable. 

IndigoPrime

I don't get it either. Did the collection jump from 60 to 80 books at some point? Perhaps that would explain it. Regardless, I do find perhaps a half-dozen volumes so far baffling in terms of the majority of included content. (Some others I dislike – such as Heavy Metal Dredd – but I at least get them. That bloody awful Heavy Mob collection, though? Just why?)

BPP

A single edition that put together the very best of the non-epics pre-Prog 500 stuff would have been nice. I know we all have it probably several times over but it would have been a good excuse for a perfect edition for the nostalgia market.

Maybe they'll do that as the Dredd element in the 2000ad collection.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

EDazzling

(I think we can all agree that [...] Calhab [is] bad)

Nah, we can't, I thought it was bad *in places*, but it was just as often great, or at least ambitious, or at the very least interesting.

I'm new to Dredd. I only started with case files volume 15 months ago, and maybe that colours my perceptions, but the "bad" volumes full of weird, malformed, truncated, ugly, poorly considered, mutant curios that should by rights never have been published let alone reprinted? LOVE 'EM.

Do I prefer a huge slab of really good comics? Of course, but I genuinely especially look forward to the volumes of weird stuff, especially versus stuff already reprinted in the case files or in their own books.

Maybe it's bad business (but I have no access to sales number and most of you seem to still be here,) but if it is, it's a mistake I'm glad they made.

The Monarch

I will never say a bad thing about calhab even if it wasn't as good as i remembered it its still fun....well until false dawn anyway

TordelBack

So I had the worst week at work that I've had in many years, have resolved to give my notice on Monday etc... but then got home, to my wonderful family. Then quickly escaped those jerks and plonked myself on Dad's  porcelain throne, and got stuck into re-reading Tour of Duty Part Deux...Or so I thought.

Turns out I've only read one of the Ewings (the Christmas one) and the others are probably the best non-Wagner Dredds I've ever read. In fact Sex, Vi and Vidslugs may be a new entry in my top ten Dredd tales, and features my favourite line of the past decade: "He's getting his hole, I tell you! His hoooooole!".

It's a good job I was on the bog at the time, cos i was wetting myself. Amazing one-parter, great characters, great ideas, great laughs and a major contribution to the weight of the storyline. 

Invitation to a Hanging was bloody good too, as were the Morrison and the Williams, neither of which I'd read before, as of course was the other Ewing, the deliriously bleak What's Another Year.

As has often been remarked, these side tales are what make ToD work so very well, and they more than justify this reprinting.

So thanks for cheering me the Drokk up, MegaCollection!

Apestrife

Tordel, hard to hear. But also GREAT to hear. Can't wait till I get all 3 ToD books!

abelardsnazz

Echoing Tordelback, ToD:MCJ is one of the best of the recent run of issues. Great stories in the opening Cursed Earth set, then the return to the city sees Wagner and the art team all at the top of their game.

By my reckoning there are five issues as yet unknown, volumes 58, 69-71 and 78, any guesses what they might be given their placings in the collection?