Main Menu

Prog 2064 - Return of the Mac!

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 January, 2018, 08:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Sadly, I could happily go the rest of my life without seeing a sequel to Counterfeit Girl. For me (and I only claim it's for me) one of the problems of the prog over the last decade or more, is the perceived lack of variety. The strips continue to come, series after series of things that we've seen before, with very little standing out. I would like bold new characters, new situations. I want series that don't assume six multi-part books in order to tell a story.
I want I want I want.
But I'm not in charge. Most of the time, even when I sigh at the line-up (like now), I find that it's perfectly grand when I actually read it. I just wish we could see something as innovative as Halo Jones, Nemesis, Shakara, Dante, Slaine again- stories that stood up in little five or six page bursts and didn't require a massive reread once done to get the full point.
I miss that.
Also, I'd like a complete redesign of the prog. New paper size, new style, new everything. How long has it looked like it does now? Feels like twenty years!
But, as I say, I'm not in charge. And as long as it entertains me each week- and the strips I don't like I can see are being enjoyed by others- I will keep on buying. I just want to be able to pick up a random prog and feel thrilled, without having to have read the last nine.
SBT

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 19 January, 2018, 12:22:37 PMAnd as long as it entertains me each week- and the strips I don't like I can see are being enjoyed by others- I will keep on buying.

Tut-tut, what kind of an attitude is that: this is the internet, we'll have none of that here. If every strip isn't to your exact specifications, you're supposed to rage-quit and accuse Tharg of shoving his rigellian hotshots up your childhood, or at the very least of caving into to [unspecified] SJW pressure and ruining everything

Mardroid

I'm largely enjoying the prog at the moment, but I do find it difficult to remember what happened the weeks before, so I enter the current strip a bit lost.

That's probably the fault of my memory, but I don't suffer this every week from every strip. So is it the style of story telling as aimed at a collected edition? I'm sure much of the stories are fine if read in one go.

I do think I need to work at training my memory, however.

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 19 January, 2018, 09:48:17 AM
I'm enjoying both of the current runs of Savage and ABC Warriors, but maybe it isn't the best idea to run them at the same time.

Since the teasing of the Thousand Year Stare in Savage, and Ro-Jaw's new role as a resistance leader in ABC Warriors, I have been pondering the means of a surprise crossover (Bifecta?) - could this parallel run be in service of that moment?

Magnetica

That's an interesting idea. Certainly Savage has been moving closer towards ABC Warriors over the last few series. I am wondering if it will soon reach the point where it merges with the Volgan War as seen in Hammerstein's war memories, but I am not sure when that is meant to be set and whether the timeline makes sense.

Dandontdare

I think they're pretty much contemporaneous - Hammerstein's memoirs were set during the period when robots were first being deployed to replace human soldiers, which is ground we covered in the last books of Savage - we're not quite at the ABC warrior stage where the war was all-robot, but I can imagine Hammerstein and his blind sergeant in Siberia as Bill is running around Berlin.

A.Cow

Has the phrase "ABC Warrior" occurred previous in Savage?  I don't believe so.

That name-check and images of Hammerstein, Joe Pineapples and Deadlock are too clumsy to just be part of a slow build-up.  I get the feeling that Uncle Pat is about to smash these two stories together very soon.

Hmmm ... I'm thinking that .... [spoiler]Quartz gets reciprocal retaliation on Bill by thumping him to a pulp ... Bill's mind is transferred to a FRED sewage robot (as Quartz's idea of eternal punishment) ... eventually, after many millennia, Savage (with consciousness now fully restored by the "disobedience virus" thingy) finally gets to destroy Quartz and his military-industrial complex, winning the Volgan war once and for all[/spoiler].

Magnetica

I hope not. I wouldn't like to see that [spoiler]Rojaws[/spoiler] was [spoiler]Bill Savage [/spoiler] all along.

There is nothing in the original [spoiler]Robusters[/spoiler] or the [spoiler]ABC Warriors [/spoiler] strip to suggest that. For instance when [spoiler]Quartz [/spoiler] buys [spoiler]Rojaws and Hammerstein [/spoiler] they don't recognise each other. We have already had one convoluted explanation for why not re [spoiler]Hammerstein[/spoiler]. We would now need another for [spoiler]Rojaws.[/spoiler]

I think the whole Robusters- ABC Warriors- Savage continuity is convoluted enough as it is.

dweezil2

Not much to add, except to say, I really enjoyed the Prog.
Nice variety in the stories and art and all of them hitting the mark for me.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Bolt-01

We did the whole 'Bill Savage brain in a robot' back in Zarjaz 07- what 2006, was that?

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 January, 2018, 09:14:19 AM
I have been pondering the means of a surprise crossover (Bifecta?) - could this parallel run be in service of that moment?

Bifecta could indeed be on the cards, but dear lord don't let Ro-jaws turn out to be Bill bleedin Savage.

Big_Dave

turning bill into rojaws
would be the end of savage/invasion

dont think pmills wants to end any of his strips
or give up there slot in prog

Mardroid

Their personalities are just too different, in my opinion. Sure they're both cockneys with a tendency towards dryness, but Savage is completely vengeful while I find Ro-Jaws rather joyful and upbeat in his way.

Copying aspects of Savages personality, maybe, but I think the whole result would still be a very different person.

TordelBack

I don't think Pat has anything as direct as another robot bodyswap planned - he's very fond of Ro-Jaws, but bases Savage on some annoying bloke down the pub - and as Bolt notes, Simpsons Zarjaz did it. 

Richard

They're completely different personalities.