Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and sixty-third episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1987 Sci-Fi Special of 2000AD. This Special has some great stories featuring Judge Dredd, some classic Strontium Dog action, and a Nemesis the Warlock photo comic!

This episode Conrad is joined by 2000AD Forums member and creator of the Heroes of 2000AD blog AlexF!

On the episode we discuss a video short of Nemesis the Warlock, check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQM0Nd-YkGI
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 19 July, 2019, 05:23:04 AM
In our thrilling hundred and sixty-third episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1987 Sci-Fi Special of 2000AD. This Special has some great stories featuring Judge Dredd, some classic Strontium Dog action, and a Nemesis the Warlock photo comic!

This episode Conrad is joined by 2000AD Forums member and creator of the Heroes of 2000AD blog AlexF!

On the episode we discuss a video short of Nemesis the Warlock, check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQM0Nd-YkGI

If only I'd done my prog slog last night - I'm two-thirds of the way through the Starlords containing the originals of the reprinted Strontium Dog strip - though the punishment was pretty obvious so not really spoiled for me :-)

I'm wondering - Conrad - do you have any future specials or annuals booked by other guests?

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 19 July, 2019, 01:01:09 PM
I'm wondering - Conrad - do you have any future specials or annuals booked by other guests?

One or two, but most slots are open, and I'm always on the look out for more people, especially as we get into the early 90s and there are two or three more specials added to the list! Anyone's welcome, but please keep in mind that like Alex you might be signing up for something several months in the future! For the record I'm also keeping some slots on open for possible special guests, but it doesn't hurt to ask :D
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Leigh S

Great show!  i have strong memories of reading this Dredd and being disappointed by the ending - more than perhaps I should have been, but it felt like the very first misfire from Wagner/Grant to be pulling out that hoary cliche for an ending - good caall on it having goo material for a Daily Star Dredd if they'd ended it at that halfway point!

I wonder if there is something in this hit List/diary of an alien editor thing as nerd bait?  My first special was the one where this started, and it absolutely captivated me to see all these stories that had come before and prepped me for the collecting bug.

The Stront is a weird thing though I wouldnt go as far as Conrad and write it off as non-canonical!  It's Alpha's first (but not only!) Genocide, after all!

I never got the message to listen to the Smiths from 2000AD - was that Zenith, Alex?  Beefheart, yes, then later some failed attempts to sell me on the delights of this so called "dance" music - isnt all music dance music??

I'd love to join you for a Special (1991 Dredd Annual would be dream for me for obvious reasons!), but I am afriad that you would not thank me for inflicting Brumminess on your show.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Leigh S on 19 July, 2019, 07:53:13 PM
Great show!  i have strong memories of reading this Dredd and being disappointed by the ending - more than perhaps I should have been, but it felt like the very first misfire from Wagner/Grant to be pulling out that hoary cliche for an ending - good caall on it having goo material for a Daily Star Dredd if they'd ended it at that halfway point!

I'm with you on that - I absolutely intensely hate 'it was all a dream' endings to stories (except for Neil Gaiman's Sandman, but that's the whole point!)  Unrelated to 2000AD (and obvious spoiler because of what we're talking about) but John Masefield's The Box of Delights tells the entire story, resolves everything and then the protagonist wakes up - even though the story was complete!  *grrr*

QuoteI never got the message to listen to the Smiths from 2000AD - was that Zenith, Alex?

Zenith hasn't appeared yet - I've looked through the special just now and can't figure out what the Smith reference could be - the cover line is 'The Future is Now' which is a little like 'How Soon is Now', but that isn't it, is it?

QuoteI'd love to join you for a Special (1991 Dredd Annual would be dream for me for obvious reasons!), but I am afriad that you would not thank me for inflicting Brumminess on your show.

Oops - that's the one I claimed in PM!

Leigh S

You've done the World a service, Sheridan!  :lol:

I'm assuming the Smiths reference was in the prog somewhere?  First I heard about the Smiths was in 1988 when I went to the posh 6th Form and all the cool kids were listening to this "new" band and sneering at my METAL!  I feel the hatred of Morrissey formed in the white heat of those years has served me well in the long run...

Quote from: sheridan on 19 July, 2019, 08:46:51 PM

I'm with you on that - I absolutely intensely hate 'it was all a dream' endings to stories (except for Neil Gaiman's Sandman, but that's the whole point!)  Unrelated to 2000AD (and obvious spoiler because of what we're talking about) but John Masefield's The Box of Delights tells the entire story, resolves everything and then the protagonist wakes up - even though the story was complete!  *grrr*

QuoteI never got the message to listen to the Smiths from 2000AD - was that Zenith, Alex?

Zenith hasn't appeared yet - I've looked through the special just now and can't figure out what the Smith reference could be - the cover line is 'The Future is Now' which is a little like 'How Soon is Now', but that isn't it, is it?

QuoteI'd love to join you for a Special (1991 Dredd Annual would be dream for me for obvious reasons!), but I am afriad that you would not thank me for inflicting Brumminess on your show.

Oops - that's the one I claimed in PM!

SpaceSpinner2000

I'd love to join you for a Special (1991 Dredd Annual would be dream for me for obvious reasons!), but I am afriad that you would not thank me for inflicting Brumminess on your show.

As Sheridan mentioned, he already called that one, sorry :( While we could do a three person episode I'd much prefer if everyone does their own episode because (as I mentioned) there are a lot of specials coming up! If there's others you'd like to do please message me here or email me at spacespinner2000@gmail.com, I'm sure we can work something out!

Also, generally I appreciate the assumption that we'll get to these annuals, there's still so much ground to cover!

SpaceSpinner2000

Sorry to spam, I just went through my records and realized that I'd promised the 91 Dredd annual to someone over a year ago! This long-term podcasting can get confusing! Anyhow, there are still a wide variety of annuals and specials to choose from, including most of the ones from 1988 and then pretty much through 1996, though keep in mind that some of those might not be recorded for quite some time!

Leigh S

Hmm! 1988 annual has the last Classic Carlos Stront I think?.... may PM and take whats going!

Frank

I never got the message to listen to the Smiths from 2000AD

The Monarch

I was gonna say pretty sure I asked for the 91 dredd annual when conrad first brought up the idea of co hosts. i picked 91 because it was my first annual and err other reasons that i cannot get into just yet

Leigh S

As I say, I never got the message to listen to the Smiths...  :lol:  Good catch though Frank!

Quote from: Frank on 20 July, 2019, 06:23:34 AM
I never got the message to listen to the Smiths from 2000AD

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: The Monarch on 21 July, 2019, 07:53:19 PM
I was gonna say pretty sure I asked for the 91 dredd annual when conrad first brought up the idea of co hosts. i picked 91 because it was my first annual and err other reasons that i cannot get into just yet
Yep yep, sorry, it's an inexact science, this podcast stuff!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and sixty-fourth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 519-522 of 2000AD, covering April and May 1987 . This time Judges do ads, the Wolf comes to Mega-City One, Torquemada gets married, and Reagan drops the soap!

For the record I really wanted to make the cover Reagan in the shower, but couldn't get a good square picture of it :(

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!