Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

It's a great film.

One of De Palma's best imo

Tiplodocus

So me and Mrs. Tips accidentally had a pretty gay movie night and it was great.

Still lots of problems with the way things are portrayed as difficult for heterosexual people to deal with but a good effort.

MOONLIGHT was fantastic stuff where nothing much seems to happen but everything, well Life, does! Great performances throughout (even Naomi Harris which was a suprise to me) but Trevante Rhodes gangsta, Black,  nearly had me in tears.

This was followed by a quick peek at the Comic Relief FOUR WEDDINGS reunion. Some sparse laughs among the overwhelming sense of backslapping. Your mileage may vary but Alicia Vikander goes a long way to offsetting the bad in any project.

Sadly we then ended up with the most egregious thing I've seen in a long time; DEATH AT A FUNERAL. I'm sure everybody involved regrets thinking it was funny the way they depicted people's reactions to finding out a loved one was bisexual and how disabled people go to the toilet. Avoid.

Lastly we hit upon Michael Douglas and Matt Damon camping it up to the max in BEHIND THE CANDLEBRA. Yet some how, they got nowhere near as camp as Liberace himself from my memories.

So it struck me how hard it must be for people in a same sex relationship to have to watch, night after night, nothing but hetero relationships on telly and film.

Though a thousand times better than when I was growing up, normalised gay relationships in mainstream media still seem slim pickings.  Goodness knows how our trans brothers and sisters manage.

And a couple of THE PREDATOR cast hiding in the evening as well.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

We went to see Fighting With My Family at the weekend and loved it. Really funny, full of heart, great performances all round and punched me in my emotional weak spots with pinpoint accuracy. I think it's really, really great, and I daresay it would be just as great even if you don't care a jot about wrestling. Ace.

Also introduced Mrs Monkey to Miracle Mile for the first time, I really enjoy sharing that film with people who know nothing about it! I always remember how sweet the romance element is but I do tend to forget [spoiler]just how grim it gets and how absolutely harrowing it is in places. I still love the uncertainty of the whole thing, up to a certain point it's really easy to believe that it could be a prank gone horribly out of control, and it plays on that really well. She really enjoyed it and we both agreed that as nice as the love story is if we were in that situation we'd totally be the shirtless guy out of his mind on the rooftop because why try even running?![/spoiler]

Have MI: Fallout a rewatch too and it is just as brilliant on a rewatch. It's really testament to how fantastic the action sequences are that they're still edge-of-your-seat stuff even when you know how they pan out. The tension and excitement is still all there on repeat watches and it struck me how rare that is.

I spent a lot of the film thinking the 4K/HDR was a bit disappointing, but the environments in the final act look absolutely stunning so I guess it's just down to the colour pallette for the earlier chunks not being all that attention grabbing maybe.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 17 March, 2019, 01:59:29 PM
MOONLIGHT was fantastic stuff where nothing much seems to happen but everything, well Life, does! Great performances throughout (even Naomi Harris which was a suprise to me) but Trevante Rhodes gangsta, Black,  nearly had me in tears.

If Beale Street Could Talk was so good, I moved Moonlight immediately into my 'to watch' queue.

Apestrife

DREDD I never tire of showing it to friends who haven't seen it. Lovely to watch again (I've seen it at least 10 times). Still amazingly entertaining, as well as being a movie which actually invites to some quite interesting discussions. Everything from how it ends (who's riding the bike), if Dredd is a product of the system and so on.

The Legendary Shark

True story: the last time I watched Dredd with someone who hadn't seen it (I too like spreading (Dredding?) my love of this film), it turned out that person I was showing it to had spent many years in prison for shooting someone in his teens. The slow-motion drug bust dug up some powerful emotions in him. A particularly tense evening ensued.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Apestrife on 20 March, 2019, 08:22:46 PM
Everything from how it ends (who's riding the bike).

Going by the number, and overall shape, of segments on the back-armour of the rider (4 segments for male Judges, 3 for female), it's Joe Dredd himself.

radiator

It never occured to me that it wasn't.

But I also never understood why some people thing that it's ambiguous whether Anderson passed or failed at the end of the movie (she obviously did, right?).

JOE SOAP

Apart form the the fact it's stated she passed, there's also the re-purposed shot of her with her helmet walking out of the Hall of Justice that was originally intended to be used for a scene at the beginning of the film – which I assume is the shot that leads some to think it's Anderson on the bike.

Dandontdare

I can't remember the precise details, but I recall there was some transposing of scenes in editing between the initial setting off on the assessment footage and the closing sequence, which could account for any inconsistencies. Narratively, I think we're supposed to think it's Anderson riding off on her first shift, but I don't think it was originally filmed that way (or at all really, hence the need to cannibalise other footage).

EDIT - Damn, beat me to it!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 March, 2019, 10:15:51 PM
Narratively, I think we're supposed to think it's Anderson riding off on her first shift, but I don't think it was originally filmed that way (or at all really, hence the need to cannibalise other footage).

I don't think it was originally ever intended to be Anderson riding off – I still don't think it is (although it can work either way if you want while squinting at the bulid of the stunt-rider).

The shot of Anderson was inserted on a suggestion from John Wagner that he thought the film needed one more moment with Anderson before the end (presumably to leave her status a little less ambiguous) – which more or less confirms it was always meant to be Dredd at the end riding out of Peach Trees. It's also in the script that Dredd walks alone to his bike while the sound of dispatches from Control play-out in the background.

Side-note: there's a version of the film (scripted, recorded and edited) with Anderson as the narrator/point-of-view character.

Mattofthespurs

Us
Damn! That was a fine movie. Witty, smart, pretty violent and not what I was expecting at all, based on the trailer.
There is a lot to process and I suspect a second viewing, before the weekend is out, is on the cards.

Based on this movie and Get Out I can't wait to see the new Twilight Zone on the 1st of April.

DrRocka

The Dirt
It's even more formulaic than the Queen movie, and takes at least as many liberties with the truth, but if nothing else, it manages to make Motley Crüe quite likeable. There. Words I never EVER thought I'd say.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Mardroid

Captain Marvel
Fun film.[spoiler]I guessed the twist before it happened, and kinda wish they'd made the Kree morality a bit more ambiguous,[/spoiler] but I enjoyed that a lot.

JamesC

Blade of the Immortal.

An immortal ex-samurai partners a young girl to help her get revenge for her father's murder and whatever they did to her mum.
Great fun with some outlandish characters and cool fight scenes (some of them go on a bit though). The two leads are both really good and the baddie is quite interesting and sympathetic which is what makes the whole thing work.
It reminded me of both True Grit and Once Upon a Time in the West in parts, though it's more light hearted than either of those.
Good fun and worth a watch.