Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

The Americans, S03E09 - the old lady and her pills... Wow. Just brilliant.

This show started off good and is steadily getting better.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

radiator

Oof, that was a brutal one. It isn't an extremely graphic show for the most part, but somehow includes some of the gnarliest, most stomach-turning sequences I've ever seen in a TV show.

I'll also mention 'the suitcase' as a particularly unwatchable bit, and another sequence I think from season 6 I'll just refer to as 'the fire axe'....  :o

radiator

Oh, and the 'home dentistry' scene. Jeez... Incredible use of editing and audio in that one.

The Legendary Shark

That South African necklace...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

radiator

QuoteThat South African necklace...

It just clicked what you were referring to. I'd actually forgotten about that! Wowzers.

radiator

The scene in the episode preceding that with Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain' is amazing. I think I rewatched it about three times.

The Legendary Shark

One of the best things I've watched in ages - easily on a par with The Sopranos, The Shield and Breaking Bad for me.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

radiator

Currently rewatching the entirety of Game of Thrones.

What's really apparent rewatching all these years later is that season 1 is lightning in a bottle - a pretty much perfect adaptation of the novel where (certain budget limitations aside) they just nail every scene of every episode - and that the show as a whole never really delivered on the promise of those opening 10 episodes. I think most people acknowledge that the shows quality has declined somewhat in recent years, but imo even by season 2, episode 1 it's already starting to get somewhat patchy in terms of plotting, dialogue and performances.

There are certain sequences that are truly exceptional - I just rewatched the Hound v Beric Dondarrion trial by combat which is absolutely incredible, and the Jaime/Brienne bathhouse scene is as good as anything the show has ever done - but certain scenes and plotlines really drag on a rewatch - namely most of the Robb Stark stuff, Danaerys' entire season 2 plotline and pretty much every scene involving Shae, who is just really not a good actor, and she really bogs down almost everything to do with Tyrion until the end of season 4.

There's also a certain irreverence and immaturity to the show from season 2 onward. It's like every single scene has to have something repulsive either happening or being discussed and to really wallow in it. And the show has always had that rep, but if you actually go back, season 1 really isn't like that. There's some gross stuff, yes, but it's far more restrained and frankly takes itself a bit more seriously than what came later.

On a more positive note, I'm even more impressed with the visual design and especially the costuming than I was originally - it's truly phenomenal. Right from the very start, it's clear that they have put so much thought into having instantly recognisable looks and suits of armour for each of the main factions, and they just nail it, from the modest blue uniforms of the Ironborn to the derpy leather caps of the weasly Freys.

The Legendary Shark

Damn it - now you've got me craving a re-watch...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

radiator

Oh, another absolutely amazing bit is the end of season 3 episode 4 where Dany takes command of the Unsullied. Could not ask for that to have been executed better.

Emilia Clarke isn't the best actress in the world, but I don't think she's as bad as people make out - she's great in that scene. I kinda wish the show had portrayed her more similarly to how she is in the books where she feigns naivety and uses her enemies preconceptions of her gender to her advantage a lot more - show Dany often comes across as very one note.

The Legendary Shark

This Titans is a bit good. Just seen the two Robins episode and loved it. Also enjoyed Black Lightning - which has more beautiful women per square inch than any other show.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Welp, dipped my toe back into the extended Transformers mythology with VICTORY. It's silly, it's daft, it's well animated. It can only be an anime from the far off year of 1990.

wedgeski

Quote from: radiator on 18 March, 2019, 10:53:14 PM
Emilia Clarke isn't the best actress in the world, but I don't think she's as bad as people make out - she's great in that scene. I kinda wish the show had portrayed her more similarly to how she is in the books where she feigns naivety and uses her enemies preconceptions of her gender to her advantage a lot more - show Dany often comes across as very one note.
She's a woman in a lead role and will therefore be 'made out' to be awful no matter what her talents, but she's especially spectacular when she shifts into Dothraki or Valyrian.

Tiplodocus

Continue to enjoy SEASON 2 of THE EXPANSE and just finished Season 1 of THE AMERICANS. Both excellent telly.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

athorist

Rewatching Farscape on prime video, because it's less hassle than getting my DVDs out. Still great, a few of the CGI shots haven't aged well (but not bad for about 20 years old)
You need light here even in the morning
Compared to this St Petersburg was nothing

The Fall - No Bulbs