Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkady

Forgive my ignorance, but roughly what percentage of ABC Warriors will fit into 6 Volumes? Not all of it I guess?

IndigoPrime

Impossible to say for sure, but with some very minor shifting of content, you could run each of the Men Files as a Hachette volume (you'd have to lose about 40 pages of extras). Then the reboot hardbacks could be paired to make ~200pp volumes. So you'd have Volgan War 1+2, 3+4, Return to Earth/Mars. That omits Deadlock, probably some other 'extras', and Return to Ro-Busters.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 October, 2017, 04:42:37 PM
Impossible to say for sure, but with some very minor shifting of content, you could run each of the Men Files as a Hachette volume (you'd have to lose about 40 pages of extras). Then the reboot hardbacks could be paired to make ~200pp volumes. So you'd have Volgan War 1+2, 3+4, Return to Earth/Mars. That omits Deadlock, probably some other 'extras', and Return to Ro-Busters.

Well hopefully Deadlock will turn up in Nemesis #4, instead, where it will fit much better thematically. Personally I'd rather have Meknificent Seven in #1 (bulked up with a few extras); Black Hole in #2 (same); the Kev Walker stuff in #3; the Henry Flint stuff in #4; then Volgan War in #5 and #6. That's a much better place to end than halfway through the flashback 'Return...' stories.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Monarch

i think deadlock will be in nemesis book 4 thats why theres 4 books

so yeah in agreement on that

maybe post volgan would be left out for a possible extension down the line?

IndigoPrime

Could be, although the page count of the three phone book Nemesis volumes is 928. Average those across four books and that's 232, which is in the 200–250 range. Deadlock would bump that over 980, which is right at the very edge of what's feasible, according to Matt Smith in the podcasts.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 October, 2017, 07:40:12 PM
Could be, although the page count of the three phone book Nemesis volumes is 928. Average those across four books and that's 232, which is in the 200–250 range. Deadlock would bump that over 980, which is right at the very edge of what's feasible, according to Matt Smith in the podcasts.

The announced contents of Vol 1 come to 218 strip pages - title pages and the like will soon bump that up to 250ish. Books 4,5 and 6 (plus Ego Trip) is 222 strip pages - so there's Vol 2. Torque the God, Books 7, 8 and 9, plus both Diceman issues is 228 strip pages. And yet a speculative Vol 4 including everything else up to Book 10, plus the two Nemesis/Deadlock Enigmass stories, plus the Deadlock solo, is a svelte 203 pages by comparison.
@jamesfeistdraws

Arkady

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 11 October, 2017, 08:18:45 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 October, 2017, 07:40:12 PM

The announced contents of Vol 1 come to 218 strip pages - title pages and the like will soon bump that up to 250ish. Books 4,5 and 6 (plus Ego Trip) is 222 strip pages - so there's Vol 2. Torque the God, Books 7, 8 and 9, plus both Diceman issues is 228 strip pages. And yet a speculative Vol 4 including everything else up to Book 10, plus the two Nemesis/Deadlock Enigmass stories, plus the Deadlock solo, is a svelte 203 pages by comparison.

Ah is that everything then? Apologies but I don't know the source material or its trade publishing history.

IndigoPrime

Dark Jimbo: I suppose it also depends on things like how many pages are 'blanks' to cater for five-page episodes. How complete is this?

Terror Tube 6
Killer Watt 7
The Sword Sinister 6
1: World of Termight 71
2: Alien Alliance 51
3: World of Nemesis 71
Secret Life of the Blitzspear 6
4: Gothic Empire 94
A Day in the Death of Torquemada: 6
Ego Trip 6
5: Vengeance of Thoth 63
The Torture Tube (Diceman) 19
6: Torquemurder 34 + 25
Forbidden Planet 5
Torquemada the God 25
Bedtime Story 6
7: Two Torquemadas 61
8: Purity's Story 45
9: Deathbringer 61
N&D: Warlocks and Wizards 6
N&D: Enigmass Variations 42
Bride of the Warlock 16
Shape of things to come 6
The Tomb of Torquemada 6
Hammer of the Warlocks 18
Book X: 60
Deadlock: 55
Tubular Hells 6

TOTAL: 883 (a couple being guesses on page count)

Whatever happens, I hope they put Bride of the Warlock in sequence this time, rather than shoving it at the end.

Dark Jimbo

Ah, yeah! I forgot Tomb of Torque and Tubular Hells - also Torque's Second Honeymoon, which would just be lovely to have reproduced in colour this time.
@jamesfeistdraws

Jade Falcon

Any idea how much Savage we'll be getting? I have the three trades which still seems to be a cliffhanger.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Tomwe

Nice cover to the first Kingdom volume

QuoteOn a post-apocalyptic Earth, mankind has all but been annihilated by 'Them' – giant insectoid creatures that have spread across the globe. The few human survivors have been escaped to orbital stations or into suspended animation, waiting for a time when it's safe to reclaim the planet. Battling Them on man's behalf are genetically engineered 'dog soldiers' like Gene the Hackman, directed by his Masters to keep the enemy off his lawn...

TordelBack

Oh that looks scrumptious indeed.

Bought my first UC volume yesterday, the Strontium Dog one - a fantastic thing altogether.  I barely managed to resist Shakara due to financial constraints, but not owning any of the post-'Final Solution' Alpha flashbacks in collected form, there was no getting away from this one.  These stories have aged remarkably well, especially 'The Kreeler Conspiracy', which seems much less dissonant than it originally did. If 'Traitor to His Kind' etc show up in a subsequent volume I'll be having that one too.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 October, 2017, 10:47:18 AM
  These stories have aged remarkably well, especially 'The Kreeler Conspiracy', which seems much less dissonant than it originally did. If 'Traitor to His Kind' etc show up in a subsequent volume I'll be having that one too.

Yes, another book of flashback tales headed by 'Traitor to his Kind' has been confirmed.
@jamesfeistdraws

Arkady

Shakara is superb - what a wonderful thing it is. The bonkers aliens, the bravery of the opening pages, and the utterly gorgeous art. And possibly my favourite volume so far as a piece of design.

Just starting Kreeler. Not so sure about the choice of cover art on this one... the blown up panel is a bit grainy. But really top-game Esquerra on the inside.

Is it just me or could the editorial features at the start of these volumes have done with someone casting another eye over them before they went to print? Lots of proofing errors.

Woolly

Just want to add that both Shakara and Kreeler Conspiracy are absolute stunners from start to finish!
The choice of follow-on stories in Kreeler Conspiracy are inspired.