Main Menu

Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! Round 1

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 February, 2021, 06:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Leigh S on 22 February, 2021, 04:34:12 PM
also, can I ake the case for City of the Damned as my number 1 here:

Firstly, how often do we moan that a story meandered on too long and would benefit frm beng x parts shorter?  here, Wagner Grant have just that realisation and it is to the strips benefit, not its detriment.

I find it feels far too long - a bit of a turgid slog to the end.
@jamesfeistdraws

JayzusB.Christ

Coincidentally, I just reread it at the weekend. The first time around, my brother wasn't buying the prog every single week so I just got sporadic chapters. I vividly remember Dredd crawling blind through fire though and the profount effect it had on my tiny mind.

Later when I got the chance to read the whole thing later in life, i had to admit the story was a tad more slight, plot wise, than chapters like that one suggested.  I still really like it, though, even if it is partly fuelled by nostalgia.

I seem to remember that patching up continuity from this story was a major reason that McGruder came back from her long walk. And the bionic eyes are a massive part of what makes Dredd Dredd. Can't say the follow - up story set in the 'real' 2020 was all that much cop but it was a nice little nod to CotD and I'm glad they addressed it. .
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dark Jimbo

I don't like it too much in isolation; it is however much better as part of the whole Owen Krysler sequence of stories.
@jamesfeistdraws

AlexF

Yeah, individual epsiodes of City of the Damned are amazing! There's a massive 'how can Dredd get out of this one' feel to the whole thing.

broodblik

CotD always felt disjointed to me (and the switching of artist did not help the story - I like one artist doing the whole run). Not my favourite epic but out of the choices presented here it is better than rest.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

1City of the Damned
2 LunaCity
3 Blood of Satanus  III

Funt Solo

1. City of the Damned

And that's it. The others either aren't epics or don't warrant a vote.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

paddykafka

Well, just voting on the basis of the epics that I can still recall, remember enjoying at the time and with scenes that still stay with me today:

1. City of the Damned (that moment when Dredd was blinded retains it's power to shock me)

2. Inferno (Dredd ordering his bike to repeatedly drive over Grice) 

3. Crusade (I thought the Inquisitor Judge was a great villain, and the shocked reaction from the Emerald Isle Judge when Dredd tackles him in mid-air is just priceless)

Sure, the standard of writing and / or Art might be better in some of the other epics on the list, but these are the ones that I had the most fun reading.

DrJomster

1. City of the Damned. Flawed, sure, but Dillon and the initial premise were cool.
2. Chief Judge's Man. Totally agree with the "important story" point above.
3. Luna city. Pretty good and certainly better than the competition! Some lovely art.

Thanks for running this!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Funt Solo on 22 February, 2021, 06:40:09 PM
1. City of the Damned

And that's it. The others either aren't epics or don't warrant a vote.

Hrmn ... that was a bit wanktastic of me.

2. Luna City
3. Raptaur
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Andy B

1. Chief Judge's Man
2. City of the Damned
3. Dead Ringer (I like this one!)

Luna City has some classic episodes, but also some filler: and it really isn't one story, which cost it third place.

Colin YNWA

Well these are shortened as we can only run one at a time and i want to get through two a week SO it might feel early but last call on this one. I'll count up in the morning and announce the 4 Epics going into the next round and the other four each of whom will fall into the play-off for final places.

Basically get any votes in today.

Sean SD

I have read the first 13 case files and enjoyed it at the time so my one vote goes to.
1. Luna City

The Enigmatic Dr X

1. City of the Damned
2. The Chief Judge's Man
3. Inferno
Lock up your spoons!

JayzusB.Christ

OK, I'll go with:

1 - City of the Damned (though admittedly nostalgia plays a part)
2 - Raptaur*
3 - The Chief Judge's Man

HM - Inferno, for reasons stated above, but its coupling with Purgatory drags it down.  (I mean, falling into molten metal and then climbing out again...)

*Dredd dealing with the press in the most Dreddly way possible.  Citi-def, who I'm always pleased to see.  Dean Ormston, whose colour palette is absolutely perfect for the garish, plasticky, neon-lit MC1 nights.  One of Alan Grant's best solo Dredds, imo.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"