Main Menu

Dredd sequentials but not quite a sample script

Started by Danbell, 11 June, 2011, 01:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danbell

Back before Kapow! I though I'd go and hunt down Tharg and show him my portfolio but realised I had nothing to do with 2000AD in it. I drew these over two weeks after work. Matt was quite nice about it considering it was completely rushed and I kinda made up the references for the Judges as I went along.

Anyway, here they are. Some panels are terrible and I'm a little embarrassed by them but I'm happy with most of them I guess.

blackmocco

Golden rule #1: Never show a prospective employer work you're not happy with. Don't mean that to sound harsh but if you're not happy with the work better to wait until you're satisfied with it.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

House of Usher

I like it. I'm sure you can see exactly what's wrong with it, and there are plenty of people on here who draw who will gladly tell you where there's room for improvement.

The cityscape in the first panel is really nice and the perspective shows you can be bothered to put the effort in. I particularly like that the light all comes from the same direction and there's a harmonious relationship between the buildings, especially the two on the far left of the cluster. The hov doesn't really stand out though, and might benefit from being drawn smaller and further away with some movement lines suggesting a flight path trailing behind it.

I like the semi-circle of faces. Dredd doesn't stand out from the crowd enough because of the uniformity of line and weight, and his gun looks flat. The guy with his head down, running, jars with the startled guy in the foreground. All the elements in that panel are individually well drawn but they don't hang together well in terms of the composition. My least favourite panel is the one of the perp lying on the ground.

The important thing is that it looks very much to me (but I'm no expert) like you know how to tell a story in strip form - these aren't just static images of action figures in their best poses.
STRIKE !!!

W. R. Logan

Why do wannabe artists show work to the forum that is never going to get them a commission?

Mardroid

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 11 June, 2011, 10:37:45 PM
Why do wannabe artists show work to the forum that is never going to get them a commission?

So they can get feed-back and advice and then improve their work, I'd imagine. That can still lead to a commission.

Danbell

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 11 June, 2011, 10:37:45 PM

Maybe because we love of the medium of comics? Or maybe because that is the point of this forum, as in it is a 'Creative Common' where people can share work and share experiences?

Maybe it's because I, like a lot of comic fans, are interested in the processes that go in to making a comic and maybe, just maybe,  I thought that a forum such as this would take some measure of interest in such a post.

It's not like I'm bitching about not getting a job or anything. I clearly know why it's a bit shit. I am aware of the faults in the pages I posted and have clearly highlighted them.

I just thought it would be nice to share some stuff to become involved in the community.

Dan

Danbell

Quote from: blackmocco on 11 June, 2011, 06:22:16 PM
Golden rule #1: Never show a prospective employer work you're not happy with. Don't mean that to sound harsh but if you're not happy with the work better to wait until you're satisfied with it.

Yeah, I know. Hindsight is a bitch.

radiator

Thanks for sharing your work, Dan - you're right, this forum is great for getting feedback and just discussing the process of making comics.

Ignore the negative, unhelpful comments you might get.

CrazyFoxMachine

There's some really nice action in this. Quite fluid. Definitely need to pay more mind to stuff like the helmets (which vary a lot) and the lawgivers. Which are right off.
Also the first page is significantly different to the rest of them. It's very muddy. Aside from that - I recommend contacting a few small pressers and seeing what they think. Portfolio viewing doesn't begin and end with Tharg, you know - ! ;)

I'm completely for people showing their work here - even if they're not happy with it. A lot of aspiring artists don't feel satisfied with what they come out with, let alone confident enough to put their unfinished work up for judgement.

Those that do should be rewarded with constructive criticism not lambasted.

Pauul

A lot here is good, no where near as good as your attempt at Sorrowhill of course, but it's still a good attempt at drawing something in a short amount of time.

And some panels do really work well, like the first one on page 4.

As people have already said, in the future you don't want to rush your art. You need to take your time and if you're unhappy with something then redo it before you show it to a publisher.

At least if you're heading to Kapow next year, you have plenty of time to prepare new material which use for your portfolio.

I was at Kapow too and it was a great event, so I hope you had fun anyway.

Cpt Rhodes

Got to admit W.R. That was a bit harsh.
People have to start somewhere.

W. R. Logan

Quote from: Alex on 12 June, 2011, 11:47:19 AM
Got to admit W.R. That was a bit harsh.
People have to start somewhere.

Maybe but it's the usual "I don't think my arts great but if I post it you're all too nice and will tell me how good it is"

This place is great for constructive criticism but it's also good at giving false hope.

Richmond Clements

This part if the board is called Creative Common- if you don't like looking at art then you should really avoid it.

Emperor

Alex said exactly what I was going to say:

Quote from: Alex on 12 June, 2011, 11:47:19 AMPeople have to start somewhere.

Letters From the Green Dude demonstrates that even the finest art droid still needed a bit of honing before getting in the prog. The way you are going to get better is posting your work, asking for critiques and then going away and working on it. Working on a sample script and then getting an editor to look at it is another way, it doesn't mean the artist is thinking "All I have to do is show Tharg my work and I'm in there," although convention horror stories suggest there are folks out there like that (I suspect if they posted something like that here they'd get their balloon burst). People rarely ask "Do you think I am progworthy yet?" here, because the answer is a) only Tharg has the final call on that and b) probably not (yet). If someone was obviously exceptionally good, a poster (or droid) might jump in and tell them to show it to Tharg immediately. However, I don't recall that happening, especially as they'd presumably already have had an airing in small press or indie comics and presumably created a bit of a stir, but stranger things have happened.

Encouraging people to keep working at their art and giving advice on what they need to do is hardly "false hope," it is just part of the process. Granted getting in the prog might be an ultimate dream but few will make it, that doesn't mean the journey isn't worthwhile - you get better as an artist (if you keep working at it and take the advice on board) and if you do that you can get your work into small press and indie comics. Keep rinsing, washing and repeating - you knows, you might just have the combination of talent, hard work and luck that gets you noticed by Tharg but even if you don't it is hardly wasted effort. You'll be a better artist and you might have seen your work in print.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Darren Stephens

I'd agree with all that's been said, however, I really enjoyed looking at your work. Don't be put off posting new stuff as you do it - Feedback is hugely important. As CFM said, try out for less high profile publications, too.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^