Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Watched Panic Room for the first time the other day, not exactly Fincher's best but a good tight little thriller.

Also went to see Julia's Eyes, from the people who brought you The Orphanage. It's no Orphanage, but it's still a pretty decent movie. Like The Orphanage it's more of a mystery than a horror, although it's got some very creepy ideas in it. And some very cheesy ones, that negate the good work a tad. It's got the same actress too, who looks blooming gorgeous throughout.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 24 May, 2011, 06:50:27 PM
Quote from: Professah Byah on 24 May, 2011, 06:26:41 PM
Quote from: Michaelvk on 24 May, 2011, 03:22:31 PMOoh dear.. Then maybe skip Dredd..

You just put me off it, Mick.

What? Wasn't a picture of a car with wheels enough to tell you it was going to be pish?

I liked the idea that the production seemed to be deliberately emulating the aesthetics of my favorite 70s and 80s post-apocalyptic movies, but constant slow motion puts that notion to rest as those films had a gleefully anarchic energy that slo-mo saps whenever it's used onscreen.

I have come to absolutely hate slow motion because no-one who uses it seems to know what it's for beyond emulating other movies and/or music videos.  If it was necessary to make the 3D effect work or something, that I would understand, but as it is it's not even used to make sure the audience is in no doubt as to what's going on in a scene, it is just there even in visually incomprehensible films like Battle: Los Angeles and Transformers.  I will likely download Dredd for the Playstation so I can watch the slo-mo bits in 1.5, but I think I'll be giving the cinema version a wide berth.

Keef Monkey

John Woo is the master of slo-mo. For some reason even though he is blatantly over-using it, it is never not awesome. For some reason I've never found it has much impact elsewhere.

radiator

I must admit that I was a little concerned when I heard about the [spoiler]'Slo-mo' scenes in Dredd, and worried that it might be a 'bullet time' kind of deal, but I have faith that the people making Dredd (and there are some very smart people involved) are too clever to be merely imitating something that was all the rage 12 years ago.

I think the slo-mo scenes are going to be quite different visually - indeed they should be something special as the whole plot apparently revolves around the concept. The word 'painterly' has been mentioned, and I believe the script suggests that the 'slo-mo' effect will be hazy and iridescent, transforming the scene from urban hell into something strikingly beautiful.[/spoiler]

Tiplodocus

At Tiny Tips request:

Back to the Future.

Go on, say a bad word against it? You cannot, can you?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Kerrin

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 24 May, 2011, 10:52:05 PM
At Tiny Tips request:

Back to the Future.

Go on, say a bad word against it? You cannot, can you?

The dog was unconvincing. I mean, he's called Einstein, but he doesn't really look that clever.

Other than that, perfect.

radiator

BttF is perfect - was even better when we saw it at the cinema last year.

I know it probably won't have many fans around here, but Knocked Up was on when I got in, so ended up watching that again. Seth Rogen tends to divide people and Judd Apatow's output has kind of nosedived in recent years, but I love Knocked Up - it's probably one of my favourite movies in the last few years, and one of those rare films that I can watch again and again.

I especially like the characters of Debbie and Pete - apparently, Apatow's next film is going to be a spin-off based on them - hope it's better than Funny People!

Very much looking forward to catching Bridesmaids this summer.

Daveycandlish

As it's the centenary of Vincent Price's birth, my local cinema has just shown The Tingler - not many screams to be had during the blackout, just a few shrieks of laughter, but a damned fine tribute to the man himself just the same!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

House of Usher

The last film I saw was THOR tonight!!!! That was great. It had loads of great elements from the comics, in a story that made sense, with some really spectacular action scenes, in which the Destroyer was a stand-out special effect. And isn't Chris Hemsworth a handsome fellow? My goodness.
STRIKE !!!

Emp

CENTURION
Nowhere near as bad as i was especting for a straight to DVD release.Granted some of the plot a blind man on a galloping horse could see coming but enjoyable nonetheless.
Pity that it tells the story of the 9th legion in Britain and will be swallowed up and forgotten by the release of The Eagle.

radiator

Having a lovely night in, drawing up a comic strip and enjoying a double bill of Escape From New York and Tremors!

Hmmm, what to watch next?

Mudcrab

Quote from: Emp on 27 May, 2011, 10:19:26 PM
CENTURION
Nowhere near as bad as i was especting for a straight to DVD release.Granted some of the plot a blind man on a galloping horse could see coming but enjoyable nonetheless.
Pity that it tells the story of the 9th legion in Britain and will be swallowed up and forgotten by the release of The Eagle.

I enjoyed that too. Plenty action compared to King Arthur (kind of similar) and just very convincing all round. Less of a story as you say, but well, plots are for TV shows these days it seems.

'mon the Picts! Or Norts if you prefer  ;)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

The Legendary Shark

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Dead Black Man's Pearl Chest at the End of the World's Strange Tides - in 3d. Watchable, but disappointing. There's not much of the exuberance, imagination and downright good fun of the prequels on show here. There's a lot of wandering around in jungles, presumably to give the characters something to do while the film makers decide what's going to happen next - which turns out to be not much. Ian McShane is good value as always, but every time I see him I expect Tinker to turn up and try to sell him a kettle.

The biggest saving grace? Well...

Ah, Penélope (in 3d)...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Emp

Thanks for that Lovejoy reference...i now will be unable to see McShane in anything without thinking the same :D

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Emp on 27 May, 2011, 11:18:06 PM
Thanks for that Lovejoy reference...i now will be unable to see McShane in anything without thinking the same :D

It is quite distracting. Every time a mysterious c0<£$*<£ing stranger walked through the c0<£$*<£ing saloon doors in Deadwood I expected it to be Tinker with a c0<£$*<£ing kettle.

Ruined it for me.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]