Main Menu

Prog 1780 : PSI : Mega City One

Started by Darren Stephens, 21 April, 2012, 10:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Colin YNWA

Quote from: WhitBloke on 21 April, 2012, 07:22:23 PM

It's just that this is not the same as my own reading.  Not that I feel I'm righter than what you be, Colin. 

Oh yeah which to be honest is why I do think I stand open to the accusation (only made by myself so far of course!!!) of being an apologist. I do wonder if my reading of it is weighted down by my desire to enjoy the fun dinosaur vs cowboys strip I like so much and thus I'm looking for the positive interpretation?

Am I having an internet argument with myself here??? Christ is that what reading too many comics message boards does to you...

... Its probably Dan Didio's fault...

...or Tom Brevoort's...

DrJomster

I'm not being all that original here, but Dredd is so strong it is streets ahead of the rest. That Haldane bike jump sequence was very nicely done and of course the art on what's in those shards continues to be top notch. That line "You don't need to be here, it's going to be dangerous." near the end. Why, yes. Yes it is.

Totally buying this when it's collected as a trade.

Yet again, Zilk's second, and yet again by quite a long way. Refreshing, more than a bit mad. We like.

Now I quite liked this week's Flesh, although I can see why some were perturbed.

AOTW storytelling has been mentioned above and I have to agree.

Now... I actually quite like Steve "Owl"'s art with colour added. And not just for the sake of being contrary!  ;) The jury is out though on this as a thrill. Another few progs needed first, methinks.

And finally.... I SO need next week's Dredd RIGHT NOW!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

radiator

Though i haven't actually got the prog yet, i have to give props to the cover strapline pun. Cant believe they haven't used that one already.

Mikey

Good call radiator - I hadn't spotted that! It is a wonderful cover.

Dredd - loved this episode after being a bit non plussed overall. Absolutely stonking art by that Flint. Brilliant - and exactly why I keep buying this weekly boy's sf comic thing!

ZoZ - yep. A feast for the eyes with a real sense of otherness coming through the script - just let it take you along with it, relax and enjoy the ride.

Flesh - hmmm...have to agree with a lot of comments about whipping out the ladybumps. Seems a bit incongruous something in what so far has been a straight up dino bite fest. But we haven't seen if she's actually going through with it yet so it could be an effective ruse on her part before (not in the Biblical sense) bonking him one and scooting off.

AOTW - I really love this strip and think Rowan is a great character. I was a bit confused on the first page though and am still not sure what her arrow hit or achieved, as she seemd to just jump out of the window. Saying that, the episode managed to convey the confusion and jeopardy of a big toothy thing running around in an enclosed space extremely well. Good stuff!

Cadet Anderson - a deceptively simple opener. It managed to set the whole thing up without needing to do too much and made me realise how hard it must be to achieve this. I sometimes forget how good Grant is! Always enjoy Yeowells art and think it's a great colouring job too. Was a bit dubious of the corkscrew maneuver, but hey-ho.

Tasty prog there, Tharg!

Also got the Meg yesterday - haven't started reading it yet, but that's a great cover...
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Mikey

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 21 April, 2012, 09:12:58 PM
Dredd page 1

Fenton!!!
Oh Jesus Christ!

Oh - meant to add - what? Am I missing something?

DoomBot

Found this weeks cover a bit bland

Dredd's great.

Disliking Zilk more and more and I'm not sure why. On reflection I guess it's little bits of everything. Not liking the colouring, don't like the tone of the story telling - it's kind of like playschool 'let's see  what's behind the square window today shall we children'. Don't like any of the characters. It gets points for being different though.

I've been loving Flesh so the criticism this week took me by surprise. Of course I recognise that it's a bit one dimensional and shallow, but mostly I thought it was just good simple fun. I love McKays bonkers lineart too.

AOTW is beginning to bore me. And haven't read Anderson yet

Mikey

Spaceghost

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 April, 2012, 06:53:26 PM
Flesh is just stupid now, --- The characters are still failing to engage with any of the events that happen - men and women dying and dissapearing left, right and centre and hardly anyone seems to care. So why should we?

This is exactly my problem with it. That episode from a few weeks back which showed a man being torn limb from limb by Triceratops whilst the other characters stood around nonchalantly commenting that it was unusual for herbivores to eat meat was ridiculous.

Carter's whoring left a sour taste in my mouth too. And the art isn't up to scratch. Hope it finishes soon.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Lee Bates on 23 April, 2012, 02:17:07 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 April, 2012, 06:53:26 PM
Flesh is just stupid now, --- The characters are still failing to engage with any of the events that happen - men and women dying and dissapearing left, right and centre and hardly anyone seems to care. So why should we?

This is exactly my problem with it. That episode from a few weeks back which showed a man being torn limb from limb by Triceratops whilst the other characters stood around nonchalantly commenting that it was unusual for herbivores to eat meat was ridiculous.

Carter's whoring left a sour taste in my mouth too. And the art isn't up to scratch. Hope it finishes soon.

I genuinly hope that we never get another series of Flesh after this one finishes. It is one of the worst strips I have ever seen in the Prog.

Mikey

That's harsh if you ask me - most of the time it's the never old japes of dinos chomping cowboys, but it has taken a funny turn. I reckon McKays a top scribbler too and his style suits the strip perfectly.

M.

Taryn Tailz

Given that I have no interest in Dinosaurs or Cowboys I guess I was never going to like Flesh.

radiator

I just don't read Flesh I'm afraid. Tried to read the first few episodes of Texas, but just lost interest in it and it's one of those strips I just automatically skip over now.

Same goes with Age of the Wolf - the first series did nothing at all for me so I haven't been reading this one.