Main Menu

Prog 1792 - Cashback!

Started by Pete Wells, 14 July, 2012, 01:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Can't believe there's not a review thread for this, I've been to a kids' party all morning and still gotta start one? Do I have to do everything!?!

Cover - Nice cover by Ben Wilsher, particularly loving those 100 Cred notes with Chief Judge Griffin's face on. Is that how the creds work in Megacity? Goodman on the 500 Cred, Volt on the 50 etc? Good stuff!

Droid Life - Nasty fun!

Dredd  - Back on track this week. Much more chaotic and serious in tone with the usual brilliant art by PJ Holden. It's an interesting story and I have to say, while she may be a little over zealous, I do feel a bit sorry for Ms Renkin. Nice to see the mighty Judge Vaughn back, I hope he's alright...

Red Seas - Tharg is running a few one offs before the final ever series. I'm going to have to read this again to get all the references but it was cool to see Rodders and Del lurking in one of the panels. I like the Red Seas so am happy enough to see this back.

Aquila - At last, it begins! Stunningly gory art by the beautiful Gallagher droid and a really nasty start by Grennie. A great start.

T.G.J.O.I.A.A.T.D.L.I.H.W 2 - Beautiful art as ever and the welcome return of [spoiler]General Beauredarde[/spoiler]! Like Aquila before it, not loads happens though...

Lenny Zero - I drokkin' loved this! So many nods to Dredd's of yesteryear and loads of little in-jokes, it was really rewarding reading for the the Dredd fan! The script by Diggle is really dense and Willsher's artwork exudes cool. He's a perfect replacement for the Mighty Jock! My favourite of the many jokes in this - [spoiler]Shuggy Bear[/spoiler], ha!

There's letters too, even one from Paisley!

So, a strong line up suggests the run up to 1800 is going to be a blast!

Buttonman

Quote from: Pete Wells on 14 July, 2012, 01:17:14 PM

There's letters too, even one from Paisley!

Boom! The content of the letter removed at the last moment from LETTERSENTERTAINYOU too - The policy of removing anything half way dcent bears fruit once again!

Eamonn Clarke

Lots of references in Red Seas.
Including The Owl and the Pussycat, Casting the Runes by M.R. James and the Night of the Demon movie it became, an alien body from Quatermass and the Pit, Dracula's skull, the space capsule from the Ray Harryhausen version of First Men in the Moon, Kali from the Golden Voyage of Sinbad, the Nautilus, ang king Kong.

There's probably many more.

Richard

I like that idea about MC1 money so much that I think Ben Wilsher should design the whole range of currency and other artists should be made to follow it.

A strong prog all round. Even The Red Seas , a story I normally don't enjoy, worked for me this week.

radiator

Jürgen Griffin - brilliant!

Steve Green

Does that mean Cal is on monopoly money?

Great prog all round - the Red Seas interested me more than it has in ages - and Lenny Zero was a great fan pleaser, hard to comment without spoiling it.

Trout

WARNING! THIS POST CONTAINS THE PHRASE "SWASHBUCKLING HOLE".

How is it that Tharg can change his comic's entire line-up and it's still 100% successful? That'll be thrill power, then.

I enjoyed every part of this comic. The Dredd story is a highlight - its creators are increasingly valuable to the galaxy's greatest comic.

I'm also delighted to see the return of Red Seas - filling the swashbuckling hole that Dante has left - and the gory, violent, beautifully-written Aquila. I'm enjoying Ichabod Etc and the first part of Lenny Zero was great, especially its various references. "Shuggy Bear" made me snigger.

Five out of five from me - yet again.

- Trout

bluemeanie

Best prog in ages. Loved everything about it... even enjoyed Red Seas which is far from being a favourite
10/10

JUDGE BURNS

Best prog for a few weeks now that Dredd seems to be back on track. Rest of the prog is looking good for the 8 week countdown to prog 1800.   :)

radiator

Great ep of Dredd this week.

Hawkmumbler

Corcking stuff Guv'nr!
Dredd on top form yet again, TGJOIAANDLIHW.2 still blowing away nicely. The Red Sea's Cameo's made me laugh as something of a self conffesed Hammer Horror fan, Aquila is shaping up to be an excelent strip and Lenny is..................Lenny Zero. Wondering whom might end up in the Zero's 7 along with Shuggy (A Shako decendent?) and Lenny? May we see Bato Loco? I got that impression, what with it getting a reprint this week. Will we see any other major Dredd world face's?

Darren Stephens

Yeh, great prog this week. So many highlights that....well, there isn't a highlight, if you see what I mean.  :D  If I had to, I would say Dredd, so much better than last weeks on all levels and Lenny Zero, the coolest thing I've read in quite a while just about clinch the topspot. A cigar smoking Polar bear? COUNT ME IN!  :lol:
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Eamonn Clarke

Other spots in Red Seas:
Withnail
The Goodies
Ronald Chetwynd-Hayes?

Not sure what the Lambeth Zombie affair was. Anyone?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 15 July, 2012, 11:33:33 AM
Not sure what the Lambeth Zombie affair was. Anyone?
It's from the 1966 Hammer Horror Movie Plague of Zombies.
;)