Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Airplanes go over my head regularly, but it's just been pointed out to me that in the movie Airplane!, there is a constant drone of a propeller engine in the background, despite being set on a jet. I haven't watched the whole movie since learning this half an hour ago, but both the clips I have watched on youtube this morning have it.

Yes I am serious and don't call me Shirley.
You may quote me on that.

Dandontdare

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 June, 2020, 05:51:34 PM
Dandontdare's Bolland Dredd t-shirt went over his head, but not much further.

Oi!

JayzusB.Christ

Just dredged up a Johnnystress quote from an old thread:

Quotegaze into the face of fear

gaze into the fist of dredd (dread)

wordplay- maybe pun isn't correct

All this time and only now I see the double meaning in the prog's most famous quote.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

glassstanley

Just realised that Tharg's sister Marg should be pronounced 'Marge'. Otherwise it's not funny.

Bolt-01

?!? sorry, I don't understand.

Tharg ends in the hard 'G' as does Marg-- why is Marge, with the different end sound funny?

Magnetica

I have just discovered that one of my favourite bands, the Manic Street Preachers, used the quote "be pure, be vigilant, behave" in one of their songs (PCP off the The Holy Bible).

My excuse is it's really hard to make out their lyrics.

Oh and disappeared guitarist and lyricist Richey Edwards was a squaxx.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Magnetica on 11 August, 2020, 09:07:47 PM
I have just discovered that one of my favourite bands, the Manic Street Preachers, used the quote "be pure, be vigilant, behave" in one of their songs (PCP off the The Holy Bible).

It's also the title of their concert film/DVD isn't it?
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

I thought Richie Edwards had a picture in the Prog and a quick bit of research later...

http://jetsimian.blogspot.com/2014/07/comic-strip-reachers.html

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 11 August, 2020, 09:34:22 PM
I thought Richie Edwards had a picture in the Prog and a quick bit of research later...

http://jetsimian.blogspot.com/2014/07/comic-strip-reachers.html

Wow! I remember that picture; had no idea it was Richey Edwards.
I remember an interview with them in some pop magazine (Smash Hits possibly) where they had a rant about the Booker Prize, decrying how it ignores great writers like Pat Mills and John Wagner. They were 4Rale about their progs; and must have been delighted to see Domino wearing their t-shirt (not sure if Richey would have enjoyed his Dredd appearance as much though).

I liked them a lot back then; but found them all a bit dull in their later, sports-casual-as-opposed-to-arty-punk personas.  I remember all inevitable student rumours too ('Yeah, my mate knows Richey. He's fine, he just wanted to escape from it all for a while.')

CalHab

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 August, 2020, 01:08:31 PM

I liked them a lot back then; but found them all a bit dull in their later, sports-casual-as-opposed-to-arty-punk personas.  I remember all inevitable student rumours too ('Yeah, my mate knows Richey. He's fine, he just wanted to escape from it all for a while.')

Everything after The Holy Bible gets increasingly boring. The early Manics would have despised their later work.

Colin YNWA

I'm not even the biggest fan of Holy Bible - should revisit Generation Terrorists that was always the one I think worked.

JayzusB.Christ

I remember another interview where they said that Oasis's Wonderwall changed everything for them. They realised their limitations - they could never write a song as pure as that so all they could do was plod on.

Personally, I never liked Oasis much.

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 August, 2020, 04:58:35 PM
I'm not even the biggest fan of Holy Bible - should revisit Generation Terrorists that was always the one I think worked.

One of my enduring memories is the video of Motorcycle Emptiness on MTV while on an off-base to Hannover to send one of the Army regiments out to Canada for Medman.  A weird montage of life in Japan but it really took with us all. 

Tracked down the CD next time we were in town.  Still listen to it every once in a while and would agree that there is a life to it that other Manic albums lack.  "Natwest, Barclays, Midlands, Lloyds ..." is a really interesting track from a historical / political perspective.  Listening to it now that Midlands has gone as a high street name ...

Not long after,  I tracked down the cover version they did of "Suicide Is Painless."  An outstanding piece to my mind.  As a massive fan of MASH it was the closest I could come at the time to reliving those days.

... and now that we are completely off topic.   :o

Magnetica

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 August, 2020, 11:33:35 PM
I remember another interview where they said that Oasis's Wonderwall changed everything for them. They realised their limitations - they could never write a song as pure as that so all they could do was plod on.

Personally, I never liked Oasis much.

I haven't seen that interview, but that sounds like them taking the mick.

They are a completely different sort of band to Oasis IMO.