Main Menu

It Shoulda Ended with...

Started by Link Prime, 13 August, 2019, 04:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

To be fair Nemesis Book X's main achievement was to cement Henry's reputation as being among the best the prog has ever had. He even outshone Kev O'Neill in that particular story.

Apart from that it was a fairly shoddy rehashing of past glories, something that Pat was doing in Sláine around the same time.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 16 August, 2019, 10:23:33 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 August, 2019, 06:34:00 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 13 August, 2019, 04:12:35 PM

Daredevil - Born Again

By all the songs of importance and value have you lost your you mind man. Has your very soul been devoured by the dark creatures of the night.... what is this you say?!???!!!

Matthew Murdock, attorney at law, speaking for the defense:

"My client has informed me that he recently re-read the entirety of Miller's work over a short time period.
It can, in no uncertain circumstances, be justifiably claimed that this body of work is the definitive take on the character.

While subsequent work by different authors has produced some fine examples of periodic comic strip, my client prefers to imagine a tangent fictional universe wherein the protagonist walked into the sunset at the end of this specific arc - born again in mind and body."

Arh very clever, evoking the spirit of Daredevil alter-ego Matt Murdock to defend your claim. That leaves me tempted to develop some elaborate Fiskesque plan to expliot your weaknesses, draw your into my world and then crush you under my gargantuan fist of criminal genius leaving you brutally exposed and vulernable and this time making sure we check for the body in the taxi...

.... but I'm pushed for time so...

...Your defense smells of poo.

NapalmKev

Bad Company ends perfectly with [spoiler]the escape from Ararat.[/spoiler] Everything afterwards detracts from the impact of the original series ending, IMO.

While I enjoy modern ABC Warriors, mainly because of Clint's masterful artwork, I think the saga could of wrapped up nicely with their retirement at the end of Khronicals of Khaos.

Non 2000AD.

Transformers films should have ended with the 80's animated movie.

The Alien and Terminator films both peaked at number 2. Predator 2 is a great film, almost as good as the first.

The Conservative Party should have just stopped years ago.

Cheers

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Link Prime

Magnetica

Have to agree with the comment saying Iron Maiden should never stop.

You could say they went through a dodgy patch for 12 years after the master piece was that was 7th Son of a 7th Son, but since 2000 the quality they have maintained is truly remarkable. A Brave New World, Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death, The Final Frontier and the Book of Souls are every bit as good as their 80s classics.

Rately

Quote from: Magnetica on 16 August, 2019, 01:28:56 PM
Have to agree with the comment saying Iron Maiden should never stop.

You could say they went through a dodgy patch for 12 years after the master piece was that was 7th Son of a 7th Son, but since 2000 the quality they have maintained is truly remarkable. A Brave New World, Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death, The Final Frontier and the Book of Souls are every bit as good as their 80s classics.

Yup.

Amazing on stage, putting out cracking albums and with seemingly no plans to stop! Long may it continue.

Greg M.

Quote from: NapalmKev on 16 August, 2019, 01:04:05 PM
Bad Company ends perfectly with [spoiler]the escape from Ararat.[/spoiler] Everything afterwards detracts from the impact of the original series ending, IMO.

I cannot agree - BkII completes Danny's journey beautifully. It is the perfect, logical continuation and conclusion. Also, there's the small detail of 'The Krool Heart' being the best thing 2000AD ever published.

And speaking of all that is glorious and enriching to the human soul: Iron Maiden...

Quote from: Rately on 16 August, 2019, 01:37:24 PM
Amazing on stage, putting out cracking albums and with seemingly no plans to stop! Long may it continue.

I think realistically, we may get one more studio album from 'em - though if it never happens, The Book of Souls is a great way to bow out. As I've noted earlier, even the 90s records have their moments - the fact that Bruce chose The Sign of the Cross (from an album he didn't appear on) for their most recent setlist is very telling.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 August, 2019, 09:06:28 PM
Babylon 5: Season 4.

Only acceptable if the real last epsiode is included.
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: NapalmKev on 16 August, 2019, 01:04:05 PMTransformers films should have ended with the 80's animated movie.
Quite possibly, although I enjoyed Transformers (despite some cringeworthy moments), and Bumblebee was actually an objectively solid film – far better than it had any right to be.

As for music, how about The Cure and Disintegration (both the album AND the song on that album).

Funt Solo

The Bible, Genesis: a mad opening and then it just drags on and on.  Parable after parable, letter after letter - and that whole New Testament is just flogging a crucified savior.

Graham Linehan: should have stopped writing just prior to filling out the account set up page of Twitter.

Red Razors: just after the 's' in 'Razors'.

---

Robo-Hunter ends well with "Farewell, My Billions".  It's all perspective - starting my weekly order with prog 178, both Verdus and Day of the Droids were just historical thrills.  So, when he moved to Brit-Cit in prog 259. that for me was the real Robo-Hunter.

I didn't really enjoy Football Crazy (because of a lack of interest in football) or Play It Again, Sam (because I found the musical references inaccessible - I'd probably like it more now with 'Net access), but they're book-ended by stronger stuff.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

norton canes

Imagine if some 2000 AD stories started with the last ever chapters and worked backwards. Verdus would be a great way for Sam Slade to bow out. We'd all be pining for the days of John Hicklenton's Nemesis artwork, bemoaning this new Kevin O'Neill guy. Anderson and Slaine would just get better and better.

Colin YNWA

Woolly

Smiley should have ended with Trifecta.
Skip tracer should have ended after the first series.

radiator

Harry Potter should have ended with Deathly Hallows.

I was a fan of the original books and films, but these Fantastic Beasts movies and weird stage play semi sequels have lost me (and the majority of people, I suspect).

Never mind Rowling's slightly weird habit of retconning stuff after the fact, or 'revealing' what happened to the characters after the books ended.

radiator

None of the Pixar movies should have had sequels - with the exception of Toy Story, all of which are excellent.