Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Though I'll settle for mutants in place of aliens.

Noisybast

If you're hoping to stay relatively unspoiled, don't read the comments on the Ain't It Cool article.
I now know how the movie ends. Bum...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I don't care, as long as there's tits
You may quote me on that.

radiator

Don't ever, ever read the comments under any AICN article under any circumstances if you want to keep your faith in humanity intact.

TordelBack

Aye, what Steve said.

What's interesting for me about this approach is its relationship to the genesis of the strip.  The story we have for its origins is that Dredd was going to be a fairly near-future violent-cop-in-New-York, until Carlos' sweeping cityscape appeared on paper.  So in every way film this is a return to the beginnings of the strip. 

Only problem is, pretty much everyone acknowledges that it was Carlos' fantastical spin that transformed a potentially mundane cop drama into something with enough legs for 35+ years of stories,  2 movie adaptations and sundry toys and games.  But we'll see - I think the footage looks great for what it is, properly gritty, and I'll take a believable Dredd and some real heart over another SFX bonanza any day.  Naturally I'd prefer both, but as Santa always says, wish in one hand, shit in the other: see which one fills up first.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: radiator on 12 February, 2012, 04:42:52 PM
Don't ever, ever read the comments under any AICN article under any circumstances if you want to keep your faith in humanity intact.

See also: YouTube

Steve Green

^^^ This ^^^

Stan

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 12 February, 2012, 04:44:25 PM

See also: YouTube

Indeed. Though Youtube comments are actually useful by comparison. There's a number of times I've found a vid's soundtrack without waiting six months for a reply.

radiator

I personally think that the comments sections on any and all websites should be canned permanently. No good ever seems to come of it, and any rational voices inevitably get drowned out by the losers and loons.

Goaty

Coolfan123? That's fucking Scojo! Thank you for ruining anything interesting to the new film, you're a loser!

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 February, 2012, 04:24:30 PM
It was apparent to anyone who wasn't deluding themselves and clinging on to a faint hope that there'd be something more futuristic...

The catch wagons were all contemporary, why on earth would they have anything marginally more high-tech elsewhere? Doesn't matter if they were background vehicles or not, they've still got to convincingly sit in the same world as the rest.

The ambulance is more retro, so I can't imagine why people are that surprised that the criminals are driving an old piece of crap as well...

Hold on, (thats twice I've had to say that today) Steve.The majority of the film is set INDOORS.Some ,including YOU posted they hoped they would just be background/filler vehicles with more meatier SFX vehicles up front.Michael himself said to wait as VFX effects needed to be added yet.So I am not 'deluded' thank you, I did fear the worst but hoped for the best.

As I said ,it's important that it bears a strong enough relationship to Dredds world or Dredd just becomes a generic future cop.Lets hope that doesnt happen.

Steve Green

You'll have to point me to what exactly I said - I'm not prepared to trawl through the whole threads trying to find it...

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 February, 2012, 05:31:23 PM
You'll have to point me to what exactly I said - I'm not prepared to trawl through the whole threads trying to find it...

You said they looked like Potman Pat wagons ( :lol:), hoped they would be background/filler vehicles and that the real meatier futuristic vehicles would be up front.

Steve Green

Yeah, that was an off-the-cuff pun - after searching for Postman Pat

What I actually said a few posts later was

"What I'm hoping for is they have some meatier vehicles done in post - nothing too outlandish, but something more imposing.

Hopefully these are just background/filler vehicles - they honestly look too small for a catch wagon."

I never thought there was going to be anything more futuristic, just hoped they mightcomp some 3D models of something a bit meatier if they couldn't find practical ones for some wider shots.

e.g.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I thought they might have a few ARV's or similar but I don't think they had the budget or the inclination.

They'll be no Futuristic looking vehicles in DREDD. They will all be contemporary with little different decor added. It's cheaper and I think they want it too look similar to the war zones we see in the News.

Since most of the Film takes place inside a Block vehicles are simply not that important. If your thinking that's not good enough or you prefer the comic version with it's massive skylines and flying vehicles then that's your preferred version. It's mine too but perhaps we all have our personal 'vision' of MC1.

DREDD is not a multi million pound epic like Avengers or the new Total Recall. Cool, stylish looking Vehicles are not what this Film is about. I thought they'd be a lot more Futuristic too but DNA and Co are making the Film so that's that.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla