Main Menu

Any old school AD&Ders on the Forum?

Started by leebrown1990, 29 November, 2011, 02:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leebrown1990

Not only was 1977 the birth of 2000AD but it was also the year of publishing for, in my mind, the best edition of the highly iconic Dungeons & Dragons RPG.

It was my one of my best friends Kev who got me into both, he'd have been about 6 or so at the time of release of both I think, and his obsession with both started around his early teens I think.

Well they've become 2 of my biggest passions also, so are any of you still rolling the AD&D dice after all these years or looking to get back into it? I was thinking about putting together a skype game if there was enough intrest.

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at the Dredd or Slaine RPG's too, but there's bound to be someone on here more qulaified than me run one of those two.

Cheers,
Lee
"After 2,000 years of keeping them breeding inside the one bloodline, we're lucky the bastard doesn't have antennae."

von Boom

I don't have any of my original AD&D books any more, but I still have a stack of my 2nd ed. AD&D books. Unfortunately I don't seem to have time for rpgs at the moment, but I can see a retirement home full of doddering coggers griping about critical hits and thac0s in my future.

There are several other rpgs I would add to AD&D as well that I would love to get a group to play.

JvB

DoomBot

Played AD&D 2nd ed for many years, mostly as DM. Still have all the books (all signed by Mr Gygax too   :) ). And cupboard full of miniatures. Would love to play again, but too many things eat up my time. I daren't go there really much as I'd love to :(

leebrown1990

It looks like a non commitment one shot is in order :-) A one nigth stand if you will.

Cheers,
Lee
"After 2,000 years of keeping them breeding inside the one bloodline, we're lucky the bastard doesn't have antennae."

Pyroxian

I've moved onto 3.5 ed now, but still run the odd adventure for friends. We have a regular weekly gaming night (plus the odd weekend too) - currently playing The Laundry - based on the Charles Stross novels (kind of a modern day Cthulhu)

mygrimmbrother

Fond memories indeed, but I'm afraid I car-booted all my manuals a few years back.

leebrown1990

The 1st Prints don't come cheap like but the books are really well put together. I've got books a fraction of the age that make these ~30 year old books look brand new.

I've just started pikcing up the odd second hand book now and again, but beauty of the game is the amount of entertainment you can get from just the core books.

Cheers,
Lee

von Boom

That's one thing the 1st ed. has over the later editions, its compactness. You could do everything with the PG, DMG, and MM. Everything else was gravy. By the 2nd ed. things get bogged down with all the additional books and supplements. Not that they weren't cool, but it got waaay out of hand for a while.

JvB

DoomBot

I lied when I said I played 2nd ed. It was of course 1st edition AD&D. And yes the books are virtually bullet proof. Bindings are still rock solid after years of abuse.

Large48

Yes started with the 1st Edition and sort of stayed there for a few years, but its been many, many a long year since I have done anything like that!  :(
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Zarjazzer

I used to have the basic  version with the lovely old dungeon B1 Into the Unknown.I so enjoyed that dungeon. Then on to 1st edition Ad&d (never got into "expert"), then 2nd edition. Haven't played in years but i still have my DM guide. 3.5 I just found too annoying but 4th is okay though i got it just out of habit rather than any intention to play.

here's guide to the old, seemingly magical  books.
http://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/modpages/b1.html

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Dunk!

I recently purchase an old copy of Fiend Folio off Ebay, purely to reminisce over the Russ Nicholson art, but haven't played since leaving school 25 years ago. Eek!

Ah, Assault on the Eerie of the Slave Lords, Queen of the Demon Web Pits, Keep on the Borderlands and Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. Why do these titles still linger in my mind? Happy memories.
"Trust we"

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dunk! on 30 November, 2011, 12:58:35 PM
I recently purchase an old copy of Fiend Folio off Ebay, purely to reminisce over the Russ Nicholson art, but haven't played since leaving school 25 years ago. Eek!

Ah, Assault on the Eerie of the Slave Lords, Queen of the Demon Web Pits, Keep on the Borderlands and Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. Why do these titles still linger in my mind? Happy memories.
Barrier Peaks - Was that the spaceship one? I loved that (did you know if you turn the lower level map upside down, the shape of the walls spells EGG (E Gary Gygax)?

Me and 3 mates used to alternate round each other's houses every Saturday afternoon throughout secondary school to play AD&D (and occasionally Traveller, Judge Dredd and a few others). When I went to uni I took a look at the RPG soc, but they were a bunch of geeks, so I didn't keep it up! It's been ages since I've played - come to think of it, where are all my old books?

For a tenuous AD&D/2000ad link, I went to school with the guy who cheated Tharg out of £3 by copying the picture of the Beholder from the Monster Manual and passing it off as his own - another Earthlet grassed him up a couple of weeks later!

leebrown1990

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 November, 2011, 01:18:58 PM
Quote from: Dunk! on 30 November, 2011, 12:58:35 PM
For a tenuous AD&D/2000ad link, I went to school with the guy who cheated Tharg out of £3 by copying the picture of the Beholder from the Monster Manual and passing it off as his own - another Earthlet grassed him up a couple of weeks later!

Haha, love it.

Seriously think a few of you need to dust off your dice and books, even if for just one last time. And for for me It's great playing with people who played back in the day. Hearing their old tales and then that look of satisfaction or dread when something happens and they're like "Yep, I remember that."

The local gamestore around here is full of dweebs who don't pay much attention to personal hygiene and think they're gods gift to each and every game system... Thankfully, managed to get a group of my mates into it we're playing quite regular now with the dedicated few. And a couple of the others drop in when they fancey it and seem to enjoy it so glad to be able to spread the love.

Cheers,
Lee

Cheers,
Lee

Buttonman

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 November, 2011, 01:18:58 PM

QuoteFor a tenuous AD&D/2000ad link, I went to school with the guy who cheated Tharg out of £3 by copying the picture of the Beholder from the Monster Manual and passing it off as his own - another Earthlet grassed him up a couple of weeks later!

Hmmm from your scrappy data the Beast has answered :

A JANES   PRESTON PROG 286 OBRIUN CARNIVORE ENGLAND 1982

Is this the miscreant you seek?