Main Menu

The Joker

Started by Link Prime, 04 April, 2019, 02:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

No comments on this yet?

I think the new trailer looks amazing - something different (for this particular genre).
Joaquin Phoenix was a superb choice for this role.

Could be this years 'Logan'.

radiator

Bad City Blue

not excited yet, hopefully further trailers will be better for me
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

IAMTHESYSTEM

There is almost a 70s Taxi Driver vibe to The Joker Trailer. A seemingly put upon ordinary Gotham resident starts becoming increasingly deranged due to his grim circumstances. That was the gist of Alan Moore's 'The Killing Joke,' that one man exposed to a series of devastating personal experiences would go mad. This Movie looks bleak, and it's not copying the Marvel films but appears to be going for a much darker vision of Gotham and America. I read Martin Scorsese is an Executive Producer on the project and it sure shows. Intriguing.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Bolt-01

It looks interesting but will they be able to have the film without a Batman? I hope so and I hope this indicates that DC aren't trying to keep up with Marvel anymore and instead just make good films.

wedgeski

It looks interesting, for sure, but by god (American?) script writers need to find some word other than "freak".

Hawkmumbler

Getting some real urban violence vibes from this akin to Death Wish, which certainly is an interesting and fresh take on the backstory. I'll bite.

Professor Bear

Didn't Scorcese make The King Of Comedy already?

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Professor Bear on 05 April, 2019, 01:45:02 PM
Didn't Scorcese make The King Of Comedy already?

Isn't there a glimpse and you'll miss it cameo in the trailer from that character too? Shared universe confirmed.

Dandontdare

De Niro has said that it's not supposed to be the same character years later, but there is a thematic nod to his character in KoC
https://www.nme.com/news/film/robert-deniro-addresses-connection-joker-character-king-comedy-2471336

JayzusB.Christ

I'm not sure if the Joker should have a standard backstory - I prefer the multiple choice origin story of The Killing Joke and Heath Ledger's Joker.

But it does look like a cool film and I'm looking forward to it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Enigmatic Dr X

Well, that save me the effort of watching the film.
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 05 April, 2019, 08:58:58 AM
That was the gist of Alan Moore's 'The Killing Joke,' that one man exposed to a series of devastating personal experiences would go mad.

More accurately, in Killing Joke it was the Joker's proposition that anyone exposed to a series of devastating personal experiences would go mad, that the entire world is just "one bad day" away from being the Joker. Crucially, what Killing Joke has and this movie appears not to have is the counterpoint of Jim Gordon, who disproves the Joker's contention by not going mad.

I'm never going to argue that KJ is a good book, but I'd suggest basing a movie on it and stripping out that rather crucial element leaves you with the proposition that the modern world is horrible, violent and senseless and that madness and reciprocal violence are an understandable response to it.

I don't think that's helpful.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

blackmocco

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 April, 2019, 01:25:49 PM
Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 05 April, 2019, 08:58:58 AM
That was the gist of Alan Moore's 'The Killing Joke,' that one man exposed to a series of devastating personal experiences would go mad.

More accurately, in Killing Joke it was the Joker's proposition that anyone exposed to a series of devastating personal experiences would go mad, that the entire world is just "one bad day" away from being the Joker. Crucially, what Killing Joke has and this movie appears not to have is the counterpoint of Jim Gordon, who disproves the Joker's contention by not going mad.

I'm never going to argue that KJ is a good book, but I'd suggest basing a movie on it and stripping out that rather crucial element leaves you with the proposition that the modern world is horrible, violent and senseless and that madness and reciprocal violence are an understandable response to it.

I don't think that's helpful.

That's a good point, although I notice there's a very brief shot of a cop on a train with a gun drawn and my initial thought was it was going to be Gordon? Marc Maron is in the casting too. If ever there was a physical living embodiment of Gordon walking the Earth, it could be him. Anyway.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

radiator

QuoteMarc Maron is in the casting too. If ever there was a physical living embodiment of Gordon walking the Earth, it could be him. Anyway.

I'd never thought of this before, but hell yes.