Main Menu

Lawgiver MK4

Started by Steve Green, 03 July, 2017, 09:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 May, 2018, 11:58:47 AM
Quote from: Steve Green on 30 May, 2018, 11:28:39 AM
Well that's the only account out there that I've seen from Pat, and I've not read statements to contradict that from Rebellion.

I think you have to treat those sort of statements with a tiny pinch of salt. For all we know, that might have been the most tactful way they could think of to phrase "we're not going to touch this with a bargepole."

(There was definitely a brief window when 'adult colouring books' (ie: for grown-ups, not (necessarily) rude) were quite the hot thing and even a niche one might have been worth partnering with someone who had the necessary production pipeline and distribution contacts to produce it at the scale Rebellion would have needed to make it worthwhile. That window was definitely closing by the time the book was even first mooted.)

We got this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/2000AD-Heroines-Colouring-Snowbooks-Fantasy/dp/1909679933/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1527766298&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=2000ad+colouring+book&dpPl=1&dpID=61UNCdxPaxL&ref=plSrch

Tjm86

My job is done then.   ;)

Frank

Steve Green

Yeah,

I don't think that helps calm things down at all, and wasn't instigated by the people by Lawgiver as far as I know.

Best thing they can do IMHO is to what they'd planned to - call it something else, and expand the scope of it beyond just Dredd/2000AD.

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 01 June, 2018, 03:43:23 PM
I don't think that helps calm things down

It's a prank*, Steve!

Presumably, it's the theme Tharg doesn't like. They could have called next year's event Fluffy-Con and still faced the same problem.

* You know, like Mark Thomas's old TV show

Steve Green

I don't really have much interest in what they do any more.

shaolin_monkey

Su has posted the email from Rebellion on the rebranded FB page, which discusses why any Dredd related events will need to be strictly licensed from here on in. Having read it I now understand much better why they have made that move, and feel two things:

a) it seems fair and
b) super excited, as it seems major plans are afoot for the world of Dredd!

What a great time to be a fan!  :)

Tjm86

Any chance someone can post it here for the Facebookphobes amongst us?

Andy Lambert

Su's post on facebook goes as follows...

QuoteOfficial Announcement!!!

Following on from the very successful LawgiverMK4, we are pleased to announce that we are expanding our event!

In short – we have not been granted permission to continue Lawgiver in its current guise as the UKs Only Judge Dredd Convention. For clarity, I have copied and pasted the statement I received from Rebellion in November last year.

"...However due to ongoing developments arising from the Mega City One TV series - and an evolving licensing, consumer products and events strategy for 2018 and onwards - I do need to inform you that this will be the last time that we will be able to grant permission for the Lawgiver festival to run in its current guise. We're wholly aware of the loyal and knowledgeable Judge Dredd fan base our obligations to them, but with the heightened visibility provided by a major broadcast release, our ambition is to build new relationships with partners and venues to develop and deliver more Judge Dredd and 2000 AD events and experiences. Official sanction for events branded as Judge Dredd-related will move to a strictly licensed category, established on a commercial contract basis."

Comments have been switched off for this post – not for censorship, but so this groups community doesn't get bogged down in negative speculation. Lawgiver has a hard earned reputation for being a well organised, professional and friendly event and it is important that we continue to uphold this civility and friendly atmosphere going forward.

*steps off soap box*

Therefore, we are very proud to introduce Lawless: A Celebration of British Comics!! Lawless will be held on Saturday 18th May 2019 at the Doubletree by Hilton, Bristol. It will run in the same format as before with guests signings, panels, traders, and small press as well as the usually gatherings afterwards. Cosplay is always welcome as well!

Opening up the event to include British comics gives us the opportunity to tap into the wonderful history of artists and writers who have worked on everything from Tank Girl to The Beano. Naturally we will continue to include Dredd/2000AD as it is such a huge part of the British comic culture and all of our wonderful guests this year have already said they'd love to join us again! We hope to have more guests than ever next year! Tickets will go on sale in January 2019 once we have confirmed the first set of guests and launched the new website. As usual, tickets will be £25 online and £30 on the door.

LawgiverMKIV was a huge success and we're eager to continue growing and evolving as a comic event.

We do hope you'll all come and join us next year for Lawless: A Celebration of British Comics!!

MacabreMagpie

It's a shame that so much discussion about Rebellion's motives and the new name suggestions etc went on before Su had made the statement/announcement, which she'd said was coming. People are free to react to things, of course (and it was publicly announced that they weren't allowed to use the Dredd name/imagery anymore) but I bet it made things a lot more stressful for her than it needed to be!

Tjm86

Thanks for that Andy, helpful to see what we are actually discussing.  In fact it makes a lot more sense to speak based on accurate information than half baked speculation.  Pity it doesn't happen more often!

As for the evolution, looks interesting.  Will keep eyes peeled for developments.