Main Menu

New Photobucket Terms & Conditions

Started by Andy Lambert, 15 July, 2017, 09:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Lambert

I've just been made aware of Photobucket's terms and conditions by friends who have "lost" their images and I wanted to check if this is likely to affect the forum, especially since a lot of people use Photobucket for the art-related threads.
As an ad-free site, Photobucket has decided to charge it's users without any real notice, for using the platform to be embedded in third party websites such as this forum.

It sounds as though all the images we have uploaded from Photobucket will eventually be replaced with upgrade graphics, and will only be returned by paying their fee for it's continued use.

I'm not sure if this will affect us all, and if so whether that effect will be instantaneous or affect users one by one, but I thought I should raise the issue with the forum admin and forum users if you and they weren't aware of it already.

A link to an article about this issue is below:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/40492668

Colin YNWA

Alas it might.

Discussed here.

http://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=44611.0

Hope you find a solution as it'd be horrible to lose your old art from the board. A real highlight.

Andy Lambert

Oh sorry, I did look to see if this had already been raised elsewhere and it looks like I missed the original post. Thanks Colin.

Eamonn Clarke

It's certainly going to be an issue for this forum as images disappear over the next 18 months until 31st December 2018 when they all get replaced by Photobucket's ransom demand.

Andy Lambert

That's so annoying... all those art competition entries, all the art discussions, costume builds, etc.... they'll be ruined.

TordelBack

Think it's bad here, RPG/Wargame miniature forums I frequent - which are basically a series of gallery/showcase threads - are completely fecked by this.  Glad I've never dipped more than a toe into online image hosts if this is the future/present.  So much for Web 2.0. 

sheridan

Dr Feeley Good

Same problem on the UK Garrison forums...people will lose all there step by step builds for there armour and there works in progress.. ..twats !

Andy Lambert

Well, looks like Photobucket's piss-take has got to me, all my artwork is no longer visible. Bastards.
So what's a good alternative? Flickr? Imgur?

Leigh S

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 19 July, 2017, 11:41:41 PM
Well, looks like Photobucket's piss-take has got to me, all my artwork is no longer visible. Bastards.
So what's a good alternative? Flickr? Imgur?

I'm liking Imgur (for having used it for all of 20 minutes!)

Andy Lambert

I've never even looked at Imgur - I shall check it out once I've deleted all my stuff from Arsebucket and deleted my account. Hope it's straightforward to use.
Absolutely gutted - all those competition entries and Christmas calendar art all gone...

Leigh S

Having trouble with the download album on PB.. may ahve to just done them one by one!

Andy Lambert

Really? I'm just clicking on the album on the left of the screen, and hitting the delete button on the right of the screen...

Fungus

Not going to even waste time deleting PB stuff. Arses.

Andy Lambert