Main Menu

Off topic threads

Started by Wake, 10 February, 2005, 08:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wake

Would a reasonable alternative to the segregated board be the ability to killfile specific threads?

Wake

Jared Katooie

A few people mentioned killfiling threads. It seems like a decent solution.

Devons Daddy

the problem with the killfile is that new boarders may be a little put off with the divercity of the board. which is the main issue i geuss.

i am for anything that is off topic is hidden unless you ask to see ALL or something of that nature,that way the board looks the same for me as i choose it to do so.
but when you first log in you get the standard sort of on topic stuff,
then from there up to you to jion in the nonsense.

personally if i dont like a thread. i simply dont post on it,or bother to read it, though there are few threads i have that attitude towards.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

CraveNoir

I like what you've got there, with the OTs below the  regular topics.
The ability to KF topics on top of that may be overkill.

Devons Daddy

wake i just took a look at this format of the board. i must say i like it.
it does look more like the balance we once had and made this place special.

im a bad one for off topic i dont discourage it,but off late it has been way to much.

jokes aside. LOGAN you had a fair point. i just could not see the wood for the trees. at the time.

Link: http://www.2000adonline.com/?zone=fan&page=messageindex2" target="_blank">i like it this way. (to be honest)

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Queen Firey-Bou

yeeek, i missed this, as i was on holiday, via tescos, wearing black socks... come back scroll down  scanning to see whats the chatter of the week, & this sort of debate makes me go ...YEEEEEK
i think people moaning about what people do or don't talk about makes everyone edgy defensive & paranoid.
half way down this thread i thought oh screw this i'm off to ebay.

i wish review threads & threads about recent progs n megs stayed around longer, so i could moan more about the goddessess bad teeth or rave about andy clarks gore.. but they don't & its my tough shit for being behind in reading, so i join in with the week old left overs, whatever tag theyve got on.

philt

Frankly the amount of off topic posting is choking this forum.  The format of the forum doesn't help this as the sections aren't "fenced" off. I've often wondered why 2000ad online doesn't use one of the Invision type boards. Surely it would be much easier to manage, look more presentable ,organised and heaven forbid be less intimidating for new posters.

Art

Segregating off-topic threads doesn;t seem to have worked, but an option to "view by category" which divided the messgae list into General, Off-topic, Website etc... etc... might work well in adition to the current view, which is organised by date.

Some new categories might help as well, "Film", "Other Comics", "TV" etc...

ukdane

It's already possible to segregate by category.

Click on the down arrow next to Summary at the top of the message board, then choose the time period you want, and then press Select Messages.
Cheers

-Daney

Art

Mmm. I forgot about that. It's not exactly the nicest interface in the world for doing that though, is it? Folder icons and links, with a little bit of helpful info like wether or not theres any new messages in there might be better.

Alternatively, and this is what I'd favour, you could show all the messages but just sort them by category rather than date - sort of like the view with off-topic segregated, but with ALL the categories sorted into they're own nice little areas.

Max Kon

I find Invision type boards intimidating.

Matt Timson

"Frankly the amount of off topic posting is choking this forum"

Whereas I'd say it it's a lack of on-topic posting that's the problem.  Frankly, I'd be bored out of my mind if there were no off-topic threads as there aren't enough on-topic threads to sustain my interest.

Maybe a bit less whining about off-topic posting and a bit more on-topic posting in its place is the answer?
Pffft...

Wake

I've just spent a couple of hours coding and come up with the extra layer I've been thinking about for ages. This should help solve the off topic issue, but allows people to go back to the old view with a simple chat room command.

Is it my imagination or does this take longer to load? I'm sure it shouldn't since it has less work to do.

Cheers,

Wake

Art

Weird. It seems to be a lot slower from here.

Wake

Any change? I've just combined the database call to count the number of messages in each category with the one to find the last poster.

Wake