Main Menu

Avengers - Infinity War

Started by Judgedreddrocks, 27 April, 2018, 10:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 30 April, 2018, 06:06:05 PM
It did feel more like GotG 3 more than anything else, and that's not a bad thing as those were the best parts imo although I was disappointed they made Quill [spoiler]out to be the moron. Yeah, I know, but after taking the piss out of him for an hour it seemed churlish to have him fuck things up in that way[/spoiler]

Did it [spoiler]make him out to be a moron though[/spoiler]?  His plan was[spoiler] really excellent, despite all the mockery, he just (understandably) lost his cool at the last minute.  Given that Dr Strange endorsed it, both the plan and the cock-up must have been part of the 1-in-14-million sequence of events that would result in [/spoiler]Thanos' ultimate defeat. 

radiator

I think I missed this bit when I ducked out to go to the toilet (it's a loooong film), but what was the deal with [spoiler]Gamora? Why did she want Star Lord to kill her? And why did she agree to help Thanos get the souls tone thingy (surely not just to save Nebula)?[/spoiler]

radiator

Also, Bob Mortimer (of all people) seemingly let slip a bit of Marvel related news in the latest Adam Buxton podcast - that British director Ben Wheatley (Sightseers, High Rise, A Field in England) has been offered a Marvel movie.

It was unclear whether or not he has accepted, but he's exactly the kind of director that Marvel would go after imo, so it's not surprising.

This is news, right? Wonder what the project in question is - to my mind all future MCU movies on the current slate have directors attached. Wonder if this is anything to do with the rumours about an Eternals(?) movie?

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 30 April, 2018, 06:41:15 PM
I think I missed this bit when I ducked out to go to the toilet (it's a loooong film), but what was the deal with [spoiler]Gamora? Why did she want Star Lord to kill her? And why did she agree to help Thanos get the souls tone thingy (surely not just to save Nebula)?[/spoiler]

Gamora [spoiler]wanted Peter to kill her so that she wouldn't be forced to reveal that she knew the location of the Soul Stone. 

She did indeed give Thanos its location in order to save Nebula.  Given that in GotG2 she had been made aware of her responsibility for Nebula's earlier torments, this is perhaps understandable.  She may have held out some hope that Thanos wouldn't be able to gain the stone anyway, if she had any knowledge of how it was protected, or she may have realised that he could have extracted enough hints from Nebula's memories anyway.[/spoiler]

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 30 April, 2018, 06:55:22 PM
Also, Bob Mortimer (of all people) seemingly let slip a bit of Marvel related news in the latest Adam Buxton podcast - that British director Ben Wheatley (Sightseers, High Rise, A Field in England) has been offered a Marvel movie.

It was unclear whether or not he has accepted, but he's exactly the kind of director that Marvel would go after imo, so it's not surprising.

This is news, right? Wonder what the project in question is - to my mind all future MCU movies on the current slate have directors attached. Wonder if this is anything to do with the rumours about an Eternals(?) movie?

There's been a lot of talk about something Moon Knight related but I got the impression it was more likely to be a TV thing. If they went for the darker side of Moon Knight and explored all the multiple personality and ancient god stuff I could see it fitting with Wheatley's style.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 April, 2018, 05:31:38 PM
I didn't really see [spoiler]Gamorra's death as fridging in the classic sense[/spoiler]

Neither do I, but there are plenty who'll make the case anyway, I'm sure.

Mattofthespurs

I do think this is going to be a film that will work better in hindsight.

After all, we have only seen half of it.

Jim_Campbell

(Spoiler tags ditched for this bit, because it's not directly related to Infinity War...)

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 April, 2018, 11:41:29 AM
Responding to the Jim's spoilerific actuarial tables:

Black Widow: can Nat retire?  I think she needs to go on, we haven't seen enough from her yet, and her relationships with Hulk and Hawkeye give a bit of heart to the team.

Well, this is interesting.

Although there's no reason why a Black Widow movie would have to be set post-Avengers 3/4, so I'm not going to read too much into it with respect to the outcome of those movies.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mardroid

I got an email today from a company I've ordered a phone from in the past. One of their many advertisment emails trying to sell me stuff:

[Spoiler]BEST OF BRANDS SALE | More Prices Fall Than Infinity War Heroes[/spoiler]

I found it amusing, but thank goodness I watched the film Sunday, eh?

Apestrife

So, anyone figured out a viewing order?

Mine's Iron Man 3, Thor Ragnarök and Infinity war (probably skipping part 2). A bit more personal films, for all three of the T:s. Tony, Thor and Thanos  :P

The Legendary Shark

I enjoyed that very much. Probably the best part for me was the post-credits scene, not for its content but because I've never heard a cinema audience actually gasp before!

Great stuff.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 May, 2018, 11:58:41 PM
I enjoyed that very much. Probably the best part for me was the post-credits scene, not for its content but because I've never heard a cinema audience actually gasp before!

Great stuff.

I've never heard a cinema audience so quiet while I giggled myself silly at that  :lol:

Went with my wife and 2 kids
[spoiler](2 girls, near 8 year old who loves Star Lord and had prepared herself for some deaths already and a 9 year old who idolises Gamora and wasn't prepared at all) at the weekend and for the first time in ages I went in spoiler free and I bloody loved it.[/spoiler]

Had a grin on my face pretty much all the way through, and when the credits went up I asked the others "Did you enjoy that?"....wrong question to ask as all 3 just went (paraphrasing) "NO!!!! How could you enjoy that???!!"

Just listening to my girls discussing how things are going to sort themselves out, without them having any comic influence and just going on what they have seen in the films, is an absolute joy....they have picked up so much with these movies, and my eldest has come up with a cracking Ant-Man and the Wasp + Captain Marvel theory.

IW is, right now, exactly what the 8 year old me imagined was possible when I got a stack of 'old' Marvel comics back in 1982. Just absolutely loved it, and I cannot wait to see it again.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

The Enigmatic Dr X

I really wonder if I saw the same film. No plot, no drama, no tension - just two and a bit hours of fighting.

The plot hasn't advanced to any extent. Thanos gets the stones and uses them. The end.
Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 02 May, 2018, 08:17:29 AM
..just two and a bit hours of fighting.

Soooo, just infinite war then...?   ;)

And maybe there's a leeeetle bit of drama in the bit[spoiler] where the arrogant over-king, convinced of his own destiny, bargains with the universe by sacrificing his beloved daughter to achieve his oh-so righteous aims[/spoiler]? Euripides seemed to think so.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 May, 2018, 09:19:52 AM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 02 May, 2018, 08:17:29 AM
..just two and a bit hours of fighting.

Soooo, just infinite war then...?   ;)

And maybe there's a leeeetle bit of drama in the bit[spoiler] where the arrogant over-king, convinced of his own destiny, bargains with the universe by sacrificing his beloved daughter to achieve his oh-so righteous aims[/spoiler]? Euripides seemed to think so.

That bit was good but interesting to note what difference the Avengers made to Thanos' plan, like Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark the answer appears to be very little.
Although I'm guessing [spoiler]that Stephen Strange is playing the long game and he knows who or what Tony Stark will need to sacrifice in the next movie to set the universe to rights again.[/spoiler]