Main Menu

Late to the party: Uncharted 2

Started by Professor Bear, 10 November, 2009, 10:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Apologies if there's a thread already somewhere back in the sands of time when this actually came out, but in the spirit of COD4 and Pikmin 2 where great games languish unplayed for ages on a shelf before I wander around to them (currently not playing Arkham Asylum, Dragon Age, or the last two GTA add-ons), I just had a wee marathon on Uncharted 1 (which I'd given up on during the Lost Colony bits because it felt too repetitive) and 2, and if ever there was a game that didn't need a film adaptation, it's Uncharted 2.

Some great setpieces like the train battle, or jumping from truck to truck in a moving convoy on a mountain road at high speeds for fistfights with eurotrash, gunfights in collapsing hotels, battles with the goat-men of Nepal, and that's before you even get to the Tomb Raider-lite puzzles that emphasise scale and fun over puzzles that make you want to punch the tv like that Incan/Aztec calender thing with the skull and the motorbike in TR: Underworld that was just annoying.
The voice and motion capture acting is some of the best I've seen in a game, and the characters aren't petulant dicks, which I've always found to be a common trope in lazy VG writing - it all adds up to a pretty good summer blockbustery-type experience from the makers of the PS2 Jak games, and despite feeling a bit light and fluffy to play, I'd go so far as to call it one of the essential next-gen games.

Any love out there?

Roger Godpleton

I love it. There's a bit where [spoiler]you walk through a Tibetan mountain village, at one point I was walking over some guy's garden, and I actually felt embarrassed that I'd made this transgression.[/spoiler] Only GTA 4 evoked this type of reaction from me before. Both games have probably the best game stories ever in terms of how well they're told.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Something Fishy

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 11 November, 2009, 01:28:44 AM
I love it. There's a bit where [spoiler]you walk through a Tibetan mountain village, at one point I was walking over some guy's garden, and I actually felt embarrassed that I'd made this transgression.[/spoiler] Only GTA 4 evoked this type of reaction from me before. Both games have probably the best game stories ever in terms of how well they're told.

It's a great game.

That bit was really well written, fantastic change of pace at that stage.