Main Menu

Prog 1853 - King of the wild frontier!

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 October, 2013, 01:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 06 October, 2013, 09:30:39 AM
There's no such thing as a Brontosaurus, Cow!

So let me get this straight ... you're challenging the accuracy of scientific nomenclature used by a talking male cow who wears a judge's helmet?   ;)

Hawkmumbler

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Quote from: A.Cow on 06 October, 2013, 10:56:19 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 06 October, 2013, 09:30:39 AM
There's no such thing as a Brontosaurus, Cow!

So let me get this straight ... you're challenging the accuracy of scientific nomenclature used by a talking male cow who wears a judge's helmet?   ;)

A male cow? now you're just talking bull.

House of Usher

I found Prog 1853 quite a hard read, which required actual effort, like a broadsheet newspaper, an electronics manual or a long poem by Alexander Pope. It more than lived up to the adage about being 'not just for kids,' although 'not at all accessible to kids' might be more apt, dinosaurs excepted.

Aquila is top thrill of the moment. It's absolutely extraordinary. I like the expanded cast.
Judge Dredd had some great moments of invention, like flying the tank backwards and improvised artillery. The latter was the kind of surprise shock 2000ad used to deliver every story, every Prog when I first got hooked on it as a nipper.
Flesh is a load of old cobblers, but still makes an entertaining read, however much it feels like I'm slumming it.
Damnation Station doesn't thrill me much; best instalment this series was the Russian priest one-off, all the better for bitterly satirizing events unfolding in contemporary Russia and the Church's shameful role in them.
Brass Sun has me sighing heavily. I couldn't not read it having bought the Prog, could I?
STRIKE !!!

JamesC

The prog is carrying on much as it has the last few weeks.

The Cover is nice but I prefer a bit of action personally.

Input: Why have a feature on a Dredd bike if you can barely see any of the artwork? Rubbish!

Dredd: Good episode. I liked the way Joyce shrugged off his horrific injury. The only criticism I would have of this story in general is that I sometimes find it hard to distinguish what Judge is speaking.

Aquila: Still the best thing in the prog - really like this story.

Brass Sun: Still bores me a bit. I always find this with Edington's strips - he just doesn't seem to build the characters to a point where I care about them. As a result I find the intrigue un intriguing!

Flesh: Was fun although I still think the art could do with some colour. I think people are being a bit overly serious in their criticism of it. I think it's supposed to be a b-movie style action strip. Complaining about Dallas' costume is like complaining about Raquel Welch's costume in 10,000 Years BC. As for the chin tickle I thought it was awesome in its ridiculousness - it made me smile and I think that's the point.

Damnation Station: A little dull again. Best thing about it is the art which I really like. It just needs some action.

So all in all not a bad prog but for an action/Sci Fi comic it's a little short on action at the moment (Dredd and Flesh being the only ones to pay off in that department).

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 October, 2013, 02:44:03 PM
Can't remember Cal's perspective on Dredd as an enemy, its an age since I read The Day The Law died.

Cal thought Dredd was a bad judge. Not least because he had no respect for Judge Fish.

Dandontdare

Quote from: House of Usher on 08 October, 2013, 07:38:05 AM
Judge Dredd had some great moments of invention, like flying the tank backwards and improvised artillery.

Aha - I didn't get that - he said something like 'this isn't an insurmountable problem' but as far as I could see just ploughed on regardles - I really didn't get the reverse bit. makes more sense now. I'm enjoying this Dredd a lot, excellent supporting judges.

Aquila is sheer perfection - story and art are both zipping along nicely.

Flesh - I sometimes wonder if there isn't a clone factory with multiple Pat Mills tapping away at typewriters - he can be brilliant or he can be pretty poor. In this case I'm afraid the story is fairly weak and I don't like the art at all. I'm not actually skipping it, but I'm not enjoying it much either.

Damnation Station - the story is gripping me more this time around, but I'm hating those blurry lens-flared backgrounds. Stop it!

Brass Sun - cracking story, love this sort of stuff. I'm not as enamoured of the art as some people - his faces in particular are pretty crude, especially in profile.

Overall a decent prog, with reservations about the artwork.

Richard

I'm surprised none of the pedants on this forum have picked up on Dredd's wrong birth date.

I like the art in Flesh. I assume she changed hands because her arm was tired? It's a big neck to stroke after all.

Trout

I'm loving this Dredd story, especially the A Team solution to the armaments problem. Great and entertaining.

The other three stories were all enjoyable. I'm not miscounting. I'm choosing to ignore the ticklish dinosaur thing. Let's pretend this never happened.

- Trout

Steve Green

Quote from: JamesC on 08 October, 2013, 09:23:51 AM

Input: Why have a feature on a Dredd bike if you can barely see any of the artwork? Rubbish!

It's not really a feature.

They do point to the article which is available free-to-view online, if they'd had much larger pics then no doubt there would have been complaints of filler.

JamesC

Quote from: Steve Green on 09 October, 2013, 08:42:16 AM

They do point to the article which is available free-to-view online, if they'd had much larger pics then no doubt there would have been complaints of filler.

What is it then?

Why not have one small picture of the bike and then close ups of the actual artwork? The pictures don't have to be any bigger than they already are.

Bolt-01

It's a bit of fun where a reader shares his love for the character and shows what he's spent time, effort and money on. That's what it is.

As for questioning the choices of image- do you really want a Rigellian Hotshot? Tharg picked the images he thought best, that is all.

Of course there could be the matter of image size vs quality for printing necessitating the lack of close-ups but personally I trust Tharg (and his many minions) to do his job properly.

Steve Green

Quote from: JamesC on 09 October, 2013, 11:45:28 AM
Quote from: Steve Green on 09 October, 2013, 08:42:16 AM

What is it then?

Why not have one small picture of the bike and then close ups of the actual artwork? The pictures don't have to be any bigger than they already are.

Like I said, it's a pointer to the magazine, online where they have much larger pictures and an extensive feature than they could be reasonably be expected to print in the comic itself.