Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

You may not like what Old Tankie says, but I for one don't think its trolling. He's asks pertinent questions, he doesn't have the same assertions other here have, don't take it as a personal affront that he's willing to ask here, more timid souls have withered and withdrawn he choses to stay and ask, its good this thread isn't the echo chamber that the rest of the web seems to be.

Jim, you wisely point out the pattern developing here and ask your own questions. Can I suggest if you put that forward in a considered way, rather that calling out Troll! you might win over a few more converts to you POV?   after all that's how Lenin won over trainloads of squaddies in 1917  ;)
DDT did a job on me

Steven Denton

Quote from: Old Tankie on 06 June, 2017, 03:35:53 PM
Well sir, you and Jim and any others who think the same are mistaken, I am just posting my opinion, absolutely no offence is intended.

Sometimes it can be a little tricky to work out what your opinion is, or why you believe it to be the case but in general I don't see your posts as trolling. Short statements without context are not really invitation to debate, but as one of the few right wing posters here, your opinion is usually of interest.

Old Tankie

TordelBack

Yep, I seldom agree with Tankie's PoV but he expresses it clearly, and if he is looking for a reaction it's no more than the rest of us do when we assert our opinions in public. I don't believe at all that he's trolling in the sense of being attention-seeking through being wilfully disruptive. He's also a long-standing squaxx dek Thargo, and that alone gives him the right to say his piece here.  It's not like he's the only one to hold these views, more's the pity, so it's worth hearing him out however much the content and delivery may annoy you.

And nor is he the only contrary old bugger roaming these halls!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 06 June, 2017, 04:00:04 PM
You may not like what Old Tankie says, but I for one don't think its trolling. He's asks pertinent questions, he doesn't have the same assertions other here have, don't take it as a personal affront that he's willing to ask here, more timid souls have withered and withdrawn he choses to stay and ask, its good this thread isn't the echo chamber that the rest of the web seems to be.

My objection isn't to what he says, as I have repeatedly explained, but to both the obtuseness and opacity of his contributions here.  I don't object to him asking questions, I'm frustrated by his refusal to engage with cogent, detailed answers to those questions.

QuoteJim, you wisely point out the pattern developing here and ask your own questions. Can I suggest if you put that forward in a considered way, rather that calling out Troll! you might win over a few more converts to you POV?   after all that's how Lenin won over trainloads of squaddies in 1917  ;)

As I am now very tired of explaining, I do not use the word 'trolling' in its general and inaccurate sense of broad internet douchebaggery, but in the specific and accurate sense of posting in a manner intended to provoke intemperate responses. I have explained repeatedly why Tankie's posts might create that impression and, if he genuinely does not intend that to be the case, I have also pointed out small and easy steps he could take to avoid that appearing that way. His long-running failure to oblige makes it quite difficult to avoid the obvious conclusion.

I am, for example, still waiting for Tankie to give us the benefit of his anti-terrorism experience up a tower in his tank, and tell us how many policemen we can afford to lose before public safety is imperilled. I'm interested, because Manchester Police said that level was reached two years ago and Theresa May accused them of (and I'm not making this up) "scaremongering".
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

And that's a fair response from Jim too. They both have lovely bottoms.

Old Tankie

Thanks TB.

Jim, I will take your last paragraph as a joke, but would point out that how ever little my anti-terrorisem experience is after two emergency tours in Northern Ireland in the mid 70's, I'll bet a pound to a penny it's more than yours.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 June, 2017, 04:17:04 PM
And that's a fair response from Jim too. They both have lovely bottoms.
'Snigger'...Bottom

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 June, 2017, 04:10:38 PM
And nor is he the only contrary old bugger roaming these halls!

Doh!
DDT did a job on me

Steven Denton

Helpfully some one has collected a bunch or quotes and a video about policing cuts Including (I think) the warning Jim is referring to.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/theresa-may-warned-by-manchester-police-that-cuts-risked-terror-attack-2017-5?r=UK&IR=T

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 06 June, 2017, 04:33:34 PM
I will take your last paragraph as a joke, but would point out that how ever little my anti-terrorisem experience is after two emergency tours in Northern Ireland in the mid 70's, I'll bet a pound to a penny it's more than yours.

Or, you could give us the benefit of your experience and answer the question I've now asked you twice.

Old Tankie

My point was that the only people responsible for terrorist attacks are terrorists, I am not defending the government of course more police makes a difference, but the problem is that the terrorists just move on to softer targets as seen in Manchester. You can't stop them they always have the advantage. You wouldn't stop them with an extra million police you have to tackle their motives. We stopped many attacks but no matter what we tried other attacks still got through. That is my experience.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 06 June, 2017, 05:20:35 PM
of course more police makes a difference

There. Right. Was that really so difficult?

Old Tankie

Tony Angelino

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 June, 2017, 04:14:21 PM
I am, for example, still waiting for Tankie to give us the benefit of his anti-terrorism experience up a tower in his tank, and tell us how many policemen we can afford to lose before public safety is imperilled. I'm interested, because Manchester Police said that level was reached two years ago and Theresa May accused them of (and I'm not making this up) "scaremongering".

Jim. More police would be great but it's not just about police numbers.

Northern Ireland had a relatively small population (less than 2 million), the second largest police force in the UK and the resources of the British Army on the streets in the 70's, 80's and some of the 90's. Despite their best efforts they were unable to guarantee public safety from PIRA who continued a campaign of shooting and bombing throughout that time both at home, in the mainland UK and further afield.