Main Menu

What makes Mega-City One Mega-City One?

Started by HunterZolomon, 25 May, 2012, 02:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HunterZolomon

One thing I'm very curious about is what people feel the environment in the movie needs in order to feel like Mega-City One. Since it's a mid-budget movie shot exclusively in Cape Town I was slightly worried that the environment would come across as too mundane. Then again, we've hardly seen anything yet.

I've composed a list of things that may or may not be neccessary. What do you think? Are all important? None of them? Something else?

1. Scenes establishing the size of the city, size of a block, the freeway.
2. Weird and futuristic architecture resembling what we see in 2000AD.
3. Level of technology comparable to comic books.
4. Robots. Call-Me-Kenneth, Walter, ABC units etc.
5. Weird and colorful Mega-City fashion.
6. Sub-cultures of the city. The League of Fatties for example.
7. Imagery or lore references to other locations like Mega-City 2, East-Meg 1, Cursed Earth, Luna etc.
8. Imagery or lore references to other Dredd stories. Umpty Bars, Boing Spray etc.

...and probably many more I didn't think of off the top of my head.

Pyroxian

It has to be huge and look futuristic (but not fantastically so - Bladerunner-esque, as opposed to big tall gleaming spires of meatl and glass). But the main draw for me has always been its society - the strangeness of the citizens, and the bizarre crazes that spring up.

So I guess 1, 2, 5 & 6.

HunterZolomon

Yeah, I suspect they have to use CGI quite extensively in several instances. And I agree with you, the culture of the city should be really bizarre.

I forgot a pretty important one: The Grand Hall of Justice

JOE SOAP

Satanist

I want a crowd scene that contains Blobs, Uglies & Fatties.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

House of Usher

Concrete, tall buildings, lots of people.
STRIKE !!!

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

HunterZolomon

I was actually thinking mostly in terms of visuals and environment, Mega-City One and it's people. I'm pretty sure they've nailed the dark and oppressive themes of Dredd's world.

New York has got tall concrete buildings and lots of people. Would that suffice?  ;)

Pyroxian

Quote from: HunterZolomon on 25 May, 2012, 04:26:32 PM
I was actually thinking mostly in terms of visuals and environment, Mega-City One and it's people. I'm pretty sure they've nailed the dark and oppressive themes of Dredd's world.

New York has got tall concrete buildings and lots of people. Would that suffice?  ;)

Johannesburg's probably more like MC1 than Cape Town is (well, more skyscrapers and freeways anyway) - maybe they did some filming there?

SmallBlueThing

If it doesnt have Pete Wells Block front and center from frame one, it aint mega city one.

SBT

The Bissler

Points 1 & 2 are pretty important to me!  The one thing the Stallone film got right was the first five minutes where the truly appalling Rob Schneider was taken in a trip across MC-1.  I'd like to see something similar in the opening for the new Dredd.  That's obviously the only aspect of the new film that I'd like to be akin to that monstrosity.  As Pyroxian mentioned before, I also expect the city to have a look more akin to Blade Runner -which would be no bad thing either!

As much as I enjoy some of the bizarre crazes / fashions / groups that feature in the comics, I'd be surprised to see much evidence of these in the films.  From the few descriptions we have about the film, I'm expecting the new Dredd movie to be going for the feel of the recent Nolan Batman films, ie to make MC-1 feel as real as possible (similar to our world) and reign in some of the more outlandish elements of the comic. 

But really so long as they can get the character of Dredd right this time, I'll be a very happy man!

Mark Taylor

Cityblocks that dwarf downtown New York. Save the robots for the sequel when (with any luck) they have the budget for them.

Waltev

1. Statue of Judgement towering over statue of liberty
2. Mega-U educated Cits as shop window dummies illustrating the ridiculous levels of unemployment  :lol: :lol: :lol:

HunterZolomon

Quote from: Waltev on 27 May, 2012, 07:53:13 AM
1. Statue of Judgement towering over statue of liberty
2. Mega-U educated Cits as shop window dummies illustrating the ridiculous levels of unemployment  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Both of those are actually very good ideas. Neither would be very expensive and they both convey Dredd's world really well.

Colin YNWA

For me its a sense of chaos trying to be restrained. Mega-City One grew out of a desperate struggle and hence in my mind never had the chance to have a plan. That's echo'd 'today' in the crazy variety seen in the citizens, the almost organic curves of the city blocks and the height of it all, layer built upon layer, all trying to get it right, all just adding to the confusion.

The Statue of Justice standing over the Statue of Liberty is a great symbol to be seen, but rather for the desperate failure it represents. The Justice Department does indeed tower over the city and all that lives in it. But its a show of impotence strength, for all its might The Statue of Liberty still stands, as a symbol of the choices and craziness that the city offers. The Justice Department intimidates but never quite crushes the people who squirm out of its iron grip in all sorts of crazy ways.