Main Menu

Why is every one selling thier progs suddenly?

Started by Tweak72, 05 December, 2009, 03:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweak72

We have had a sudden run of people selling collections of 2000ad. but it is more than a couple. I know it's the run up to Xmas/Recession but surely it's a higher number then usual or normal at this time of year?

Comments welcome
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

locustsofdeath!

For once a depression has worked out for me. I have assembled a near-complete run of Progs from the classified section on this board. I'm not missing very man now, just a Prog here or a Prog there. Sad that they must be sold, but I feel good that I've helped someone out in a round about way (and the Progs have a good home).

Mike Gloady

Um, the longer the prog goes on, the more difficult the storage will be for long-time readers.  Also, as time wends it's way along, Rebellion are bringing more and more classic and new series into print in their cracking collections.  

Those two reasons would be enough for me to part with my progs if I could face it (although in the new year, that's exactly what I'll have to do).

Chuck the recession in as well and the chance to lay hands on some cash AND get some space are all very attractive, especially as you can grab nice editions of your favourites for the bookshelf (easier to store, innit).
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Goatilocks

You answered your own question - Xmas & the recession. Storage space, too. I've had constant on-going battles with Mrs. Goatilocks regarding my vast collections of CDs, vinyl, books, magazines and UK & US comics.

"You read/listen to them once, and put them away like a librarian!" she'd say.

Me, like Troy McClure when he was in prison, knife in hand, "Don't touch my stuff!"

TordelBack

QuoteMe, like Troy McClure when he was in prison, knife in hand, "Don't touch my stuff!"

Wasn't that Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez?  Easy mistake to make, both are ex-husbands of Selma, and both voiced by the much-missed Phil Hartman.

COMMANDO FORCES

Storage space, haven't you lot heard of cellars and attics!

Mike Gloady

I used my mum's loft for years. 

Selling the house (and currently have nowhere of "my own" to live as I moved in to take care of her) and so, no loft and no hope of being able to afford anywhere remotely near the rest of my family that'll have enough storage space for clothes and food.  They have to go.  Sad as it is. 

My only regret is that I didn't sell them years ago to a comic shop when there was less of an "ebay culture" and I might have got a bit more for them.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

COMMANDO FORCES

Goatilocks

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 December, 2009, 04:07:15 PM
QuoteMe, like Troy McClure when he was in prison, knife in hand, "Don't touch my stuff!"

Wasn't that Lionel Hutz, aka Miguel Sanchez?  Easy mistake to make, both are ex-husbands of Selma, and both voiced by the much-missed Phil Hartman.

Ah. Yes, him.

(There goes my Simpsons cred ...)

maryanddavid

QuoteThey have to go.  Sad as it is.
Its one thing selling them because you want to, another alltogether when you have to. Its a pity Mike, but on the other hand when you are in a position again to get a collection, it shouldnt cost you too much.

David

vzzbux

The more they change hands the more likely they will get damaged thus increasing the value of mine.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Tweak72

Quote from: Goatilocks on 05 December, 2009, 03:29:23 PM"You read/listen to them once, and put them away like a librarian!" she'd say.

So, what is her point exactly?

Tweak72

Quote from: locustsoflove on 05 December, 2009, 03:17:44 PM
For once a depression has worked out for me. I have assembled a near-complete run of Progs from the classified section on this board. I'm not missing very man now, just a Prog here or a Prog there. Sad that they must be sold, but I feel good that I've helped someone out in a round about way (and the Progs have a good home).

Will that mean a Prog Slog from 1?

Goatilocks

Quote from: Tweak72 on 06 December, 2009, 09:30:44 AM
Quote from: Goatilocks on 05 December, 2009, 03:29:23 PM"You read/listen to them once, and put them away like a librarian!" she'd say.

So, what is her point exactly?

That I have numerous boxes of 'stuff' and 1000+ CDs sitting on shelves in the spare room that I rarely read/listen to. My own little corner in the universe is a waste of space, apparently.

God, I love my wife ...  :)

Colin Zeal

I've also benefited from people selling their progs this year, as my collection has gone from about 50 back issues to almost 400, plus the 50 or so since I started buying again last November. This has caused me to start pondering when I should stop buying back issues. I have achieved my aim of getting hold of all of the Zenith progs, and a lot more as well. But should I admit to myself that I don't really have the spare cash or room to keep on buying more? My run stops at about prog 880 now, and from what I've read it kind of takes a turn for the worse for the next couple of years. Should I spare myself the pain of that? It's a question I ponder quite a lot now.