Main Menu

(Another) One for the Hive Mind

Started by Tweak72, 23 May, 2010, 09:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweak72

I am looking for information and map reference on the Mega Citys of Dredds world. I have a stack of progs but can't remember where to look also former useful links and pictures on the site are no longer Here or Here
So I was wondering apart from Block Mania & The Apocalypse War and that world map on Barney and a random site in Catalan, Spain can anyone remember any sites or Progs numbers that have references?
Does anyone disagree with the world map for things likes MC2 really being as far in to mexico as that world map shows? Did East meg 1 streach from St Petersburg to Moscow to Volgograd and as far east as at least Kazan (as I always thought) or is/was it in the Surgut area like the map seems to show? East meg 2 is it built around Lake Baikal?
Also,This thread is awsome for Post Apocalypse War information but is it ever mentioned how many sectors MC1 Had before the war? Or is that mentioned in the Bobs Law sector reorg episode?
yours with confusion

Tweak
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

House of Usher

I don't think Judge Dredd's world has a fixed geography. I think the size and borders of the mega-cities are dictated by plot requirements and story logic rather than by a definitive map.
STRIKE !!!

Tweak72

That was what I was thinking. Along with "Bugger!"
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

worldshown

Quote from: Tweak72 on 23 May, 2010, 09:28:01 AM
Does anyone disagree with the world map for things likes MC2 really being as far in to mexico as that world map shows? Did East meg 1 streach from St Petersburg to Moscow to Volgograd and as far east as at least Kazan (as I always thought) or is/was it in the Surgut area like the map seems to show? East meg 2 is it built around Lake Baikal?

As I'd always assumed that MC2 was meant to be the Dreddworld equivalent of California, then it's location on that map is too far south.

Speculatively, the locations of the East-Meg cities are dependent on how much of a pounding Russia took during Booth's war. Where Americans were able to rebuild over the rubble of the east and west coasts, if Moscow and the surrounding areas had been totally destroyed the Russians may have found it easier to move east to rebuild. Around Novosibirsk seems a reasonable site for EM1 and building EM2 around a large freshwater lake like Baikal also makes sense.

But as Usher says, it's all determined by what's required for the story.

Quote from: Tweak72 on 23 May, 2010, 09:28:01 AMis it ever mentioned how many sectors MC1 Had before the war? Or is that mentioned in the Bobs Law sector reorg episode?

Don't know if the number of post-Apocalypse sectors were ever given. Meka-City took place in the ruins of south sector 555 though.

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Never rub another mans rhubarb

Mike Gloady

There are places on that map that have never been mentioned in Dredd or Dreddworld material. 

And it's missing places that HAVE been.  No idea who came up with that, but I would doubt it's legitimacy for our purposes. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Yep definately a little weird, though all I could find.

Just the time when you need one of those "dorling kindersley" Guide to Dredd Books :)

Mike Gloady

What on earth happened to Arthur Ranson's map drawn for Anderson Psi Division: "Shamballa" and later ammended and used in Judge Dredd: "Judgement Day"?  Used to be easy enough to find on the web, right?
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

JOE SOAP

Doesn't seem to be strictly a Dredd world map, that's a hodge podge of future fictional cities, wasn't San Angeles what the city in Blade Runner had originally intended to be dubbed? and BosWash is what the Boston-Washington urban sprawl is called now.

Isn't "Holy Terra" what earth is called in Warhammer 40K?

It's from this site:

http://io9.com/5361050/a-map-of-your-future-mega+cities-and-megalopolises

I should have played closer scrutiny to that.

Sifting through the Megazines to find that Map now.

JOE SOAP

House of Usher

The link was in Tweak72's original post.  :)
STRIKE !!!

strontium_dog_90

That's a great map - I don't know about anyone else, but just looking at it starts to fill my head with ideas for stories that it would be cool to read/write. What other comic could inspire that type of creativty from just a list of future city names, eh?