Main Menu

2000ad movie snippets

Started by Colin YNWA, 15 November, 2011, 08:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: brendan1 on 16 November, 2011, 11:51:25 AM

About 1% of the people who watched Road To Perdition, A History Of Violence and From Hell had read the source material, or even knew they existed in comic form.

Which incidentally is one of those things that drives me nuts. It also goes to show how far we are from actually getting the level of acceptance we would like to achieve of comics being appreciated as a medium rather than a genre. Iron Man et al have their comic origins blasted all over them. As soon as Hollywood or the mainstream perceive something as a 'serious' film its comic origins are told to not be so upperty and go and sit at the back of the room and not disturb anyone.

Drives me nuts.

Now its fair to say that a lot of films made from books will have a good chunk of the people who go see them not ever know where its origins lay but I'd safely hazard a bet that its a far larger proportion that do know from film to film compared to those that would know for a 'serious' comic based film.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 November, 2011, 01:15:17 PM
Flesh. Sci-fi + dinosaurs + cowboys. How could anything go wrong? (Well, bar it being a massively expensive movie to make that not enough people go to see, obv.)

I've said it before and I'll say it again no doubt, this would be such a great choice. Only thing that stands against it is if its believed that there are too many similar things about at the moment. Terra Firma, that Morrison penned Dinosaurs vs Aliens etc. Mind when has originality ever worried Hollywood?

skurvy

It's Sinister Dexter. Do I win 5 pound?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 16 November, 2011, 01:39:33 PM
Drives me nuts.

Now its fair to say that a lot of films made from books will have a good chunk of the people who go see them not ever know where its origins lay but I'd safely hazard a bet that its a far larger proportion that do know from film to film compared to those that would know for a 'serious' comic based film.
Can't say that it bothers me and I'm not really sure about your other argument either unless you also restrict it to "serious" novel-based films. In which case the whole thing becomes a narrower and narrower definition of what you mean just to fit the thesis. In the interests of space-math ratio analysis, I'll bet a shiny silver sixpence that more people who saw Iron Man knew it was based on a comic (which, I'm guessing, it really wasn't: at least in the sense of a single storyline) than saw the Da Vinci Code knowing it was based on a book. I'm also willing to go double or quits on Ghost World vs 101 Dalmations.

Anyway, it's obviously going to be Cradlegrave knocked out as a cheap indie horror in the style of Eden Lake.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 16 November, 2011, 02:06:07 PM
In the interests of space-math ratio analysis,

I'm too scared of someone who knows what that means to even dare a counter argument. I kowtow before the one who wields the "space-math ratio analysis"

The Legendary Shark

Shako?
Robo Hunter?
Zenith?

Maybe an olde stylee "Vault of Horror" anthology of Future Shocks?

I'll get me coat...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Spaceghost

Isn't Molch-R going to Thought Bubble? We could simply surround him and threaten him with terrible deeds until he tells us.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Molch-R

You could certainly try. A more effective strategy is to get me drunk*.

*still won't work though.

Molch-R

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 November, 2011, 01:15:17 PM
EDIT: Also, awaiting the thread getting to, say, about 100 suggestions, and for Molch-R to then pop back in and say "well, one of you's got it right" before running back to his popcorn and laughing maniacally.

Thanks for the tip.

*inserts date in diary*

Eric Plumrose

Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Molch-R

The Legendary Shark

Would drink work for... other requests? ;)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Buddy