Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

We fancied the evening menu at the Pizza Trumpet (C) place but when we went it was off and they were doing pizzas and burgers as the football was on. When life sends you lemons eat some pizza :

Zarjazzer

That pizza trumpet and the other pizza looks very nice. And the increasingly wild shirts should mean so called fashionistas and foodies should visit this thread AND WORSHIP.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Buttonman

Cafe & Te is a chain of coffe shops come diners that are peppered throughout Madrid. The food is average and price OK but the main selling point is picture menus and English speaking waitresses - ours was American. What a seasoned traveller I am.

This photo shows me eyeing up a 'trio of pastas' which was a bit strange. Small samplers of Spag-bol, ravioli and something with pesto.

That's your lot for this summer - come back in 11 months for more gourmet travels.

COMMANDO FORCES

Those buttons are under a tremendous amount of pressure there man  ;)

Link Prime

Every comic-book reader knows that vertical stripes are slimming CF!

Buttonman

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 26 October, 2012, 08:24:00 PM
Those buttons are under a tremendous amount of pressure there man  ;)

It was at the tail end of the holiday and everything was starting to strain - rest assured the physique will be restored for the next Hi-Ex. Which will hopefully be delayed until 2018.

Frank

Quote from: Buttonman on 26 October, 2012, 08:20:55 PM
Cafe & Te is a chain of coffe shops come diners that are peppered throughout Madrid. The food is average and price OK but the main selling point is picture menus and English speaking waitresses - ours was American. What a seasoned traveller I am.

The lady who served me at the DVLA the other day told me how her city break in Madrid was ruined because she didn't hable or comprende Espanol and was afraid to order from the menu in restaurants. I asked her why she didn't go into a tapas bar and pick whatever looked least intimidating, but she gave me a blank stare and told me she just ate at MacDonalds for every meal. Even breakfast.

Buttonman

The McDonalds there are very xenophobe friendly as they had these consoles where you can punch in your order in an English picture menu and take your receipt to a separate queue where you get it Argos style when you number pings - no exposure to foreign types at all!

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 26 October, 2012, 08:59:16 PM...she gave me a blank stare and told me she just ate at MacDonalds for every meal. Even breakfast.

This makes me sad. Holidays Out Foreign are a fond but distant memory, but surely one of the very best bits is ordering food when you have no clue what it might be?  Some unexpected linguistic-ignorance highlights of my own trips were jellied pigs' totters (in Begur, Spain), roadside grasses (central Crete), boiled jellyfish (Chinatown, Noo Yawk), and andouillette (Normandy, France) which turned out to be largely tripe and something that smelled suspiciously like wee.  I'd take that dodgy fun over a thousand reliable Egg McMuffins, and screw the 'little differences'.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 October, 2012, 01:53:11 PM
surely one of the very best bits is ordering food when you have no clue what it might be?  Some unexpected linguistic-ignorance highlights of my own trips were jellied pigs' totters (in Begur, Spain), roadside grasses (central Crete), boiled jellyfish (Chinatown, Noo Yawk), and andouillette (Normandy, France) which turned out to be largely tripe and something that smelled suspiciously like wee.  I'd take that dodgy fun over a thousand reliable Egg McMuffins, and screw the 'little differences'.

Aye; I've never ordered the same thing in a restaurant twice, on the basis that if I'm paying for someone to make my dinner I might as well get something I couldn't fix for myself at home. I'm veggie, so that does remove some of the Russian Roulade element of danger that led you to swallow something's colon, mind. Dare you to try eating live octopus, like in Oldboy.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 27 October, 2012, 04:46:44 PMDare you to try eating live octopus, like in Oldboy.

Bad French has led to me eating live sea-snail-things of an uncertain and not-very-tasty species (they tried to escape from my plate, the poor doomed fools), but no, not live octupus, not ever (although one of my Top 5 meals of all time was a large-ish octupus, taken straight off a fishing boat and fried whole on a wharf-side griddle with garlic). I've since gone off eating octupus, since they seem to be smarter than some of the folks that work down the welfare, but that was delicious.

I do have a (somewhat flexible) rule that if there's something on a menu that I have never eaten before, I have to order it, provided it isn't a waffer-theen meent.  I eat out so infrequently now (last dinner out with the missus: March 2011, and all I can remember about that is that there was a very nice red onion marmalade) that this is all rather academic, but the principle is sound damnit! 

Dandontdare

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dandontdare on 07 November, 2012, 10:45:23 PM
heheh - check out number one on this list: http://heresthethingblog.com/2012/02/23/10-tacky-avoid-posting-facebook/

We should try this at the next shedcon:

3. Group photos of your feet in a circle
Yes, I know, it's the latest trend on Facebook—and sure, it's fun to show off your cute new Manolos. But most of the time, all we see are sausage toes and chipped polish. Enough is enough.

DDT did a job on me