Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Right, let's get to the proper grub. This was our first night of pub crawling and scranning. Normal practice is to order your 'vino tinto' and then fill a plate from the assembled grub which set up all over the bar like Gillian McKeith's table. Here I have a deep fried spicy mince ball, a cheese and ham croquet and a bit of deep fried battered fish and a bit of bread - like I never left home!

Here's view of a grub laden bar - you can literally walk up and start stuffing your face, like that man there is doing.

You don't have to eat from the bar however and you can order house specialities from a chalk board. This can be fought with danger as there are no English translations or photos. This was a tasty beef and chilli kebab that someone was having at the bar and I pointed at to the barmaid and did a thumbs up - job done. The meat was fantastic and well worth the 7.2 Euros.

This was another bar who had a screen menu which was easier to decipher.

This was a tasty sausage roll with fine flaky pastry and the ubiquitous chorizo.

All finished? Nah a late night sorbet stand gave up this nice Mango sorbet and After Eight ice cream mix.

Frank

Quote from: Buttonman on 01 September, 2014, 08:57:16 PM
the assembled grub (was) set up all over the bar like Gillian McKeith's table

ARF! Line of the thread. What's normally just a showcase for your photo-face from various angles has actually turned educational with your searing exposé of how pub grub works en España. Letting you get tore into whatever's on the bar makes nibbling on dry roasted peanuts while you wait half an hour for the barman's missus to microwave a lasagne look shite.

Minkyboy

This thread is my fave ever and always leaves me with a massive smile on my face.
Much like our gracious host.

Looks like the buttons on your stripey blue shirt are starting to take the strain Buttonman. About time too!

Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Buttonman

'Tis true about the bulge - I tried on every shirt before departure but by day 8 of the holiday some were refusing to play ball. I'd guess I put on half a stone in a week but I'm hopeful that is mainly fluid retention - well you could get a litre of 11% red wine for 59 cents.

Here's how to get pissed in 3 easy steps. Going! This was a place called Bartolo that was mainly a pintxos joint but with a small restaurant in the back. We sat down with a few table standards. This was a deep-fried ball containing a boiled egg and mashed potato along with something cheesy and bread.

Going! Next up it's the chunkiest chorizo we had along with some stuffed chillies and everyone's favourite Patatas Bravas with a mustard mayo and a chilli dipping sauce.

Gone! This pudding was another alcoholic sorbet that turned into a drink toot-sweet - this was cava based and I sucked it down in moments.

The bill here was about 44 Euros a third of which was the wine - pretty good for basically 'all you can eat' over a couple of hours. The food and service was great.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Buttonman on 30 August, 2014, 07:56:40 PM

This thread has turned into an Exorcist remake - does your head go all the way around in 360 degrees?
Lock up your spoons!

Proudhuff

is that a doughtnut or amahwrang?
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

You are for once correct Tom!

Back to breakfast with some scrambled eggs and HP sauce and a separate bacon and fried potato number - plates were too small!

This is a local bar (note the best seat in the house next to the bins) and I had a burger which was OK - cheese too runny and some fries that were like thick floppy crisps.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Colin Zeal

He was too busy stuffing his face sampling the culinary delights to waste time buying comics.

ZenArcade

Where in the name of christ does he put it all?? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Buttonman

Quote from: Proudhuff on 03 September, 2014, 03:33:33 PM
did you buy any comics?

Nah I was too busy stuffing my face sampling the culinary delights to waste time buying comics.

QuoteWhere in the name of christ does he put it all?? Z
The tree trunk thighs hide many sins!

This was a fancy place that, get this, required a reservation! We went back the next day to get our booked table and laughed at all the suckers queueing - see you tomorrow losers! We got a primo table next to the lobster tank - fascinating seeing all their legs and stuff.

Anyway, to business! I went for the Iberian acorn fed pork sausage expecting a big banger - instead I got a plate of salami. It was very nice wrapped in the complimentary rustic roll (actually 1.20 Euros).

Next up I had a steak. It were lovely. Again it was 40 odd Euro  a plate but that's per kilo - after I ordered a man appeared and said 'This is 495 grams Senor' and I got to give him the thumbs up. This was even better than the last one probably because it had been left to rot, er, age for 28 days. Mmm can still taste that crispy fat!

For pudding I had the rice pudding - huugge mistake - it was cold ambrosia with a spoonful of cinnamon sprinkled on top. Still scoffed the lot.

Buttonman

This night we ate at the hotel - every day the set menu was displayed in the lift and the English translations were always a source of mirth and puzzlement. I have a catchphrase 'It's never what you expect' and it was never truer as at this dinner.

Here my red face and shirt are enjoying a bit of bread with a slice of roast beef topped with some melted cheese. I was OK but a bit strange.

Here I'm enjoying a knuckle which apparently is an underused (usually binned) cut of pork. The meat was OK and came off in long slivers. The whole joint was present and took some picking to clear. The white stuff is a puréed potato and the green puddle some unidentified vegetable mulch. Worst plate of the trip!

The pudding was safer ground - it was what we'd call a custard slice and was served with some nice toffee ice cream.

TordelBack

Colin Zeal

As much as I enjoy and even look forward to seeing your latest culinary experiment, I'm glad to see the red face. This shows that you do leave food serving establishments during your holidays.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me