Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 04 September, 2014, 08:47:26 PM
As much as I enjoy and even look forward to seeing your latest culinary experiment, I'm glad to see the red face. This shows that you do leave food serving establishments during your holidays.

You have to dash between grub emporiums some time!

Here we are with the red face settled into a deep and sexy tan. The hotel upped its breakfast fruit offering with some zingy pink grapefruit and fresh figs. I just ate the figs skin and all but the continentals mostly left the skin. Anyone know the correct etiquette? For the record I survived the skin eating.

After the fruit fest I ventured out onto the balcony to have a nice turkey roll that Irene sourced locally. It was a bit bland but the jar of spicy peppers that accompanied it fair made me wince, hence the strange camera face seen here.

With Lidl offering numerous beers what one goes best? the cheapest the one with the 2000ad connection!

Having only eaten a massive amount we went to the only Italian we could find and shared a bowl of tasty pasty (hold the cheese!) and a crispy pepperoni pizza. This shines brightly with grease and as you can imagine was most tasty.

Fungus

Buttonman

Last day now - huzzah!

I got slightly more adventurous as the week progressed so here's me with some bacon and cheese. The bacon was the local ham deep fried which made it all crunchy and the cheese was a mild local variety with a nutty skin. I am also showing my self made toast with I was soon to enjoy with some honey, also pictured.

Back on the tapas trail here. This place did everything on a small bread plate so you got bread with everything. I like bread. Here we have some tasty ham and some battered fried fish.

New bar, same expression and pose. This is a really nice patatas bravas - the potato was crispy and fluffy and the sauces where sharp and tangy.

Last one! This place did smaller offerings on small bread fingers. One here is blue cheese and another a pickled artichoke. Nice for a flavour blast without getting stuffed.

Well that's it for this holiday - see you at Christmas!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Buttonman on 08 September, 2014, 09:17:17 AM
Last day now - huzzah!
Well that's it for this holiday - see you at Christmas!

Our gain is the Arriva Team's lost.
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Having been resurrected myself I thought I'd resurrect this thread as a public service so that you, the reader can know what to expect in terms of food if you are admitted to an NHS hospital.

This is in no way an excuse to hammer the good old NHS and I found the food to be largely good albeit sometimes lacking in flavour or presentation.

The day always ran the same way. Breakfast was cereal with milk - I normally had Weetabix - along with a roll and butter and jam/marmalade. They didn't supply bananas so I had supplies shipped in.

You then got lunch at 12 and dinner at 5. Lunch was proceeded by soup - normally yellow split pea and dinner was followed by pudding - normally a crumble with custard. The meal choices were interchangeable and you could see the same thing for lunch one day and dinner the next. Towards the end of my stay I only had one meal a day as I found two meat and potato type dinners too heavy. Every meal consisted of three choices - 2 meat and 1 vegetarian.

I apologise that the following photos are of the food only but alas my fellow cardiac patients weren't able to take a photo of me angling the dinner and my head at a jocular pitch.

Macaroni, broccoli and mash. : I had this last year and it had improved with some orange cheese adding to the flavour. The weird choice of sides let it down and I only ate about half of this and none of the broccoli.

TordelBack

You got no bananas? No bananas at all?

(Wipes away small but manly tear at thought that we might never again have seen this thread updated)

Buttonman

Pork chop and mash with Gateau and ice cream

I had this an hour before my second ventricular tachycardia, but I don't blame the chop which was very nice. It had about 30% fat which I didn't eat but the meat was tasty and well cooked. The mash went well with the gravy and the pudding was good too. Pots of ice cream were a Sunday only treat.

Hawkmumbler

'Sniff sniff' Your eating. It's a miracle.

ZenArcade

That chop doesn't look half bad Button.....lucky wee shite ye. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Judge Nutmeg

Recrewt

Quote from: ZenArcade on 04 March, 2015, 08:56:50 PM
That chop doesn't look half bad Button.....lucky wee shite ye. Z

That does indeed look like a good meal to me.  Better than what I had for tea!

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: von Boom on 04 March, 2015, 09:25:15 PM
You need to send your photos here Buttonman:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/gallery/2015/mar/04/your-pictures-of-hospital-food-good-bad-ugly

I already sent him that :D Frankly that is so ridiculously apt I almost feel like there's a squaxx working at the Guardian.

Buttonman

Some of the meals posted on the Guardian site were bizarre. Happily I have a golden straitjacket arrangement with Tharg so these are an exclusive (unless you have seen them on Facebook).

Pork Meatballs, mash and Peas with Leek and Potato Soup. This was pretty enjoyable. The soup was bland and tasteless with lumps but the meatballs were excellent. They weren't uniform which suggested home made and the gravy and texture added up to a tasty scoff.

This was the other meatballs dish I had, Turkey Meatballs with Mash and Sprouts with Apple cake in custard. For a start I only got 4 meatballs which isn't a portion in anyone's book. The sauce was nice and tangy and the balls themselves were tasty with a firm yet yielding texture. The pudding was a bit bland and could have done with some cinnamon to liven it up. As some wag suggested it looks like it is trying to escape from the custard.

Proudhuff

Bless!
Shouldn't he get his phone on one of those sticks so we can see his ugly  mug too?
DDT did a job on me