Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Sorcerer (40th Anniversary 4K Remaster)

Will Friedkin is rarely mentioned in the same sentence of other legendary directors of the 70's and 80's, despite having The Exorcist, The French Connection and To Live and Die in LA under his belt. THIS, however, is the movie that tips him into the master race of directors. Tense, gripping, and visually visceral yet stunning. The rope bridge sequence alone made my heart stop at least twice, my palms where sweaty and and my stomach was in knots.

A superb film, do yourself a fave and buy the blu-ray, well worth the investment.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 16 June, 2018, 12:22:28 PM

Will Friedkin is rarely mentioned in the same sentence of other legendary directors of the 70's and 80's, despite having The Exorcist, The French Connection and To Live and Die in LA under his belt. THIS, however, is the movie that tips him into the master race of directors. Tense, gripping, and visually visceral yet stunning. The rope bridge sequence alone made my heart stop at least twice, my palms where sweaty and and my stomach was in knots.

A superb film, do yourself a fave and buy the blu-ray, well worth the investment.

Already have. And despite this being a wonderful film I don't think it even comes close to the original 'Wages of Fear'. But still a very good film.

Mattofthespurs

Hereditary.

Very good film. Slow burn in the first hour, but necessary and then loses it's shit (in a good way) in the second hour.

As a seasoned horror fan, for at least forty years, there were four sequences that sent genuine chills up my spine. Compare this to The Sixth Sense where this happened twice.

Has a good 'Rosemary's Baby' vibe to it.

Recommended if you like creepy horror.

7.5/10

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 16 June, 2018, 12:22:28 PM

Saw this for the first time recently, thought it was brilliant.

The 50 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen. The title isn't accurate, as I've seen 9 of the films discussed, but it's still entertaining enough as a pointer to films to check out if you're a fan of the genre.

Greg M.

My Friend Dahmer (2018)

An adaptation of Derf Backderf's autobiographical comic about going to high-school with Jeffrey Dahmer. It's pretty faithful to said comic, though not nearly as good. The lack of Backderf's authorial voice robs it of quite the same sense of impending doom, though Ross Lynch does well as Dahmer, increasingly becoming a kind of human void as the film progresses. Almost everyone around Dahmer is monstrously selfish, using him as a pawn - the sole exception is his awkward but well-meaning father - and as such, you can feel sympathy for the boy, if not for the man he'll become. Not bad, but if you haven't read the comic, I'd recommend that instead.

Tiplodocus

Sunshine

On bluray for father's day (thank you Tiny Tips). Stellar stuff with a great cast (some of them doing great work with very limited screen time), gorgeous visuals, music and big questions. What happens if we dare we touch the face of God? (And it's hard to think of the sun as anything else in this). You know what? I even like the element that most people dislike (but I won't spoil).

Every time I finish watching it, I just want to watch it again.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Theblazeuk

JamesC

Solo:

I had little enthusiasm for this which is why it's taken me so long to get around to seing it. I really enjoyed it - action packed, good performances, some nice design and locations that felt a bit different. Surprisingly I think this may be my favourite of the modern Wars films.

The Hitman's Bodyguard:

Reasonable fun. It all feels pretty lightweight and throwaway but it passed a couple of hours well enough. I thought the level of violence (quite a bit of blood and explosive bullet wounds) and swearing was a bit OTT. This would have worked just as well with A-Team style violence and toned down language.

12 Strong:

Chris Hemsworth as Captain of the first US special forces team to be sent into Afghanistan after 911. Predictably patriotic in the way Americans do so unironically. Flags and rousing speeches about freedom every 5 minutes but it was a pretty good film. No idea how historically accurate it is but the action seqences are well done. Worth a watch.

wedgeski

Jurassic World

Kind of crap. Some standout sequences (the underwater pod rescue is amazing), and the odd bit of pathos, but overall, it seems like they just said "Yes!" to everyone's first, most obvious ideas, and rolled it out as quickly as possible to soak up the money. The dinosaurs are truly exceptional, to be fair, with the exception of a crying velociraptor and a smug/smiling indoraptor (although that bit did make me laugh, I must admit).

I don't usually feel "insulted" by a film in the way that so many haters love to claim, but this film certainly had a low opinion of its audience. When the likes of the MCU shows ongoing respect for its characters and its fans, this kind of thing really stands out.

TordelBack

Oddly I thought the opposite for certain parts of the JW2:TFK.  I thought parts of the 'haunted gothic mansion' sequences were way ahead of what I was expecting - the way the camera rotates[spoiler] to follow the Indo Raptor down over Maisie's balcony doors, the jump-scare of its face in reflection of the museum case... and the concept of Maisie herself[/spoiler].  I agree, most of it is pure predictable lowest-common-denominator, most of the return-to-the-island bits being a case in point (although I did like a lot of the volcanic effects, and the Brach vanishing into the smoke), but by the time we got to the deliciously indulgent auction, mass breakout and corridor/rooftop chases I was well into it. 

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 16 June, 2018, 05:53:45 PM
Hereditary.

Very good film. Slow burn in the first hour, but necessary and then loses it's shit (in a good way) in the second hour.

As a seasoned horror fan, for at least forty years, there were four sequences that sent genuine chills up my spine. Compare this to The Sixth Sense where this happened twice.

Has a good 'Rosemary's Baby' vibe to it.

Recommended if you like creepy horror.

7.5/10

I mostly agree, although it seemed a bit muddled at times, but maybe some processing will iron that out. A brilliant performance from Toni Collette plus an unsettling atmosphere from the start make this an overall hit.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Ocean's 8

Dragged to see this with my wife, who then spent the time trying to work out of every unaccompanied male in the cinema was gay or not, because it was "a chick flick". Standard heist movie, enlivened by the presence of Sarah Paulson from American Horror Story, but hamstrung by Helena Bonham Carter doing an intensely irritating turn as an Irish fashion designer and James Corden playing an arse.
Not funny, and lacking any tension as to whether they get away with it, which I thought was a prerequisite in this type of thing. Also, my seat was bum-numbingly uncomfortable.

SBT

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 20 June, 2018, 11:03:24 AM
...and James Corden...

Jesus, why?  Why do they keep putting him in things?  Does he pay them?