Main Menu

W H SMITH Gift cards

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 10 December, 2014, 07:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

I have been given a couple of these cards but being over 2 years since issued they are not valid even though there is money on them. There is no contact number on the cards and I cannot find any contact details to discover what balance is on these cards and how to get the money transfered to another card. They can't just keep what is on these card can they?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

The Doctor Alt 8

IndigoPrime

Which and This is Money cover the subject succinctly. In short, the contract is with the person who buys the voucher, and the expiry detail needs to be accessible in some manner at that point. However, there's nothing to stop you seeing whether a nice manager in your local branch might make an exception for funds on the card.

My advice for vouchers is always the same: spend them as soon as you can, on either something that you need regularly (so, if you got an ASDA voucher, just spend it on your groceries) or some kind of credit that does not expire (such as iTunes or Google Play cards that you can add to the account when you get home).

The Doctor Alt 8

So basically I was lied to by the till monkeys who assured me that I could contact WH Smith by phone and arrange a transfer of funds. Typical.

IndigoPrime

It depends on the terms and conditions WHSmith offered at the time of purchase. By default, vouchers are time-limited. Companies are under no obligation whatsoever to transfer funds from an expired card. However, under certain circumstances, they might do so anyway. Contacting customer services by phone seems like a sensible move. In my experience, WHSmith customer services is actually very good.