Main Menu

When did 2000ad get good again.

Started by BPP, 04 July, 2019, 11:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 July, 2019, 10:04:24 PM
...when you consider the terrifying fact that 1998 was over 20 years ago...

Now that IS terrifying!

Pass the Werther's Originals, Matron

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 July, 2019, 12:28:58 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 July, 2019, 10:04:24 PM
...when you consider the terrifying fact that 1998 was over 20 years ago...

Now that IS terrifying!

Pass the Werther's Originals, Matron

Oh I was in my prime day in '98

What did you do grandad

I... I... I don't remember

IndigoPrime

We are further today from the launch of 2000 AD than 2000 AD was from the launch of The Beano.

Richard

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Funt Solo on 04 July, 2019, 03:19:16 PM
û Dash Decent

I think you've mixed up your cross and your tick there.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

TordelBack

Definitely '99 for me, and if I was to venture an opinion as to why (as opposed to simply strong editorial), it would be the rock-solid runs of Dante and Sinister Dexter that were established by then, giving viable alternatives to the Wagner Dredd Carrying A Weak Prog situation that can only get you so far. 

Funt Solo

Quote from: Dash Decent on 05 July, 2019, 02:06:51 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 04 July, 2019, 03:19:16 PM
û Dash Decent
I think you've mixed up your cross and your tick there.

Clearly!  :D

My Yay/Nay system doesn't quite tell the whole story, either.  How to rate a single prog with a single value?

It could be yay/nay per thrill, or it could be yay/nay/meh.  And some thrills are only 1 page (like everyone's favorite thrill ever: Dash decent), so do they count for as much as a 6-pager?  Do we separate out a thrill by art and script?  (Obviously not by lettering: because it's always wonderful.)

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

BPP

What strikes me about reading back is that things like Caballistics and Lobster Random are 15 years old.
I guess it's a separate question but is there a  'transition' phase where Dredd / Dante / SinDex carry the prog before we get to a slew of 'modern' 2000ad strips like Lobster, Asylum, Caballistics that can hardly be told apart from say Brink / `Scarlet Traces / cradlegrave despite a decades difference in time? Is it an art thing (computer colouring finally bedding in) or a droid thing (Abnett / Spurrier / Williams / Eddington). In a way Prog 1001 still feels very different to me from 1400 in a way 1400 doesn't from 2100.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Funt Solo

Quote from: BPP on 05 July, 2019, 10:46:22 PM
...is there a  'transition' phase where Dredd / Dante / SinDex carry the prog before we get to a slew of 'modern' 2000ad strips like Lobster, Asylum, Caballistics...

I'd posit prog 1200 as being the hinge: in July 2000.

In 1999 the prog was heavily reliant on existing thrills: the only new episodic thrill in the prog was The Balls Brothers.  Things were feeling relatively fresh because SinDex and Dante were only a few years old (4 and 2, respectively).

In 2000, leading up to prog 1200 we get two new thrills: Glimmer Rats and Badlands.  Post-1200 we get Red Fang, Roadkill, Vanguard and Rain Dogs.  Whilst you can debate the quality: the difference is that we're getting fresher material mixed in with the established thrills at a much higher rate than before.

(Stats-wise, the average age of the thrills in the first half of 2000 was 12.71, and in the second half it was 8.84.)

We do have to wait a while before stickier thrills come along, but the attempt is being made in 2000, and continues in 2001 with Necronauts, Carver Hale, A Love Like Blood and Killer.

Once we hit 2002 things start to appear that get more than one series: Shakara, Ataver, Bec & Kawl, Asylum and The Red Seas. (With Storming Heaven, 13/Thirteen, Bison and The Scrap as new one series thrills.)  Cabs and Lobster are hot on their heels in 2003.

Summary: the hinge appears in mid-2000 and by the time we get to 2002 we're seeing new multi-series thrills exploding onto the scene.

The hinge:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

metalmarc

Ahh cool did not see this thread.

Can't believe I didn't just look at the board properly.

AlexF

Broad agreement here that the Prog started getting better again once Sin Dex and Dante became regular features. For me, the second Golden Age of 2000AD hit around Progs 1500-1850, if we're talking week-in, week-out 4/5 thrills are on top form. The Prog is in fine fettle just now, probably it's just me that's feeling more silver than golden.

Always happy to repeat the point that although 90s 2000AD was objectively the worst period of Progs (for writing, not necessarily for art), at the time I still looked forward to and savoured each week's new Prog...

MumboJimbo

Off topic, but as a recent returning reader I have to say the prog looks bloody cool around prog 1200 - love the logo and the cover layout. The only thing I don't like is the US format. It only lasted a few months like this though? Shame

IndigoPrime

I dunno. That cover lines font is fine for the headings, but horrible for body copy, and I always felt that logotype was broadly anonymous. As for the format, that didn't bother me so much. (Although be mindful it was US format only in terms of proportions, not dimensions.)

Richard

That was the worst logo ever. I don't think it even qualifies as a logo really, it's just a font.