Main Menu

Netflix’s Lost In Space

Started by Goaty, 21 February, 2018, 05:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

What's not to like? William Hurt. Good. Gary Oldman. Good. Mimi Rogers. Goooood.

Tiplodocus

I loved the gag of the tv series Jupiter being a shell for the movie version. Completely impractical but cool.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: von Boom on 21 February, 2018, 09:08:47 PM
What's not to like? William Hurt. Good. Gary Oldman. Good. Mimi Rogers. Goooood.

Heather Graham  :P

IAMTHESYSTEM

Will Dr  Smith prove a distraction for John Robinson? Is it Menage a trois in Space? Sound interesting, and Toby Stephens was great in Black Sails, so another TV Series on Netflix I want to see! Damn might have to fork out the dough, but money sadly doesn't grow on trees you have to work for it.Boo!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Goaty

Full trailer... even the "Robot"

Like it, and glad they use the ship design from the film.

https://youtu.be/fzmM0AB60QQ

Professor Bear

Penny Robinson recast as a ginge is a step too far.  Where will this cucktard liberazi SJW Marxist cultural revisionist Stalinist political correctness end?  In camps with man genocide, that's where.

Keef Monkey

I've only just clicked that Neil Marshall has developed and directed this, so now quite a bit more interested.

He'd talked a bit on the Post Mortem With Mick Garris podcast a while back about it, but I'd completely forgotten it was happening, even while watching the trailers it didn't occur to me that he was involved! Should be good.

dweezil2

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 16 March, 2018, 03:49:25 PM
I've only just clicked that Neil Marshall has developed and directed this, so now quite a bit more interested.

He'd talked a bit on the Post Mortem With Mick Garris podcast a while back about it, but I'd completely forgotten it was happening, even while watching the trailers it didn't occur to me that he was involved! Should be good.

Neil Marshall you say?
Now I'm more interested!  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

von Boom

I only made it though half of the first episode. What an utter bore.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: von Boom on 15 April, 2018, 04:19:22 PM
I only made it though half of the first episode. What an utter bore.

Oh, that's a shame. I really enjoyed it. Admittedly, the second half of the episode does have a lot more happening than the first, though...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

von Boom

Maybe I'll give it another look later, but I lost interest [spoiler]when Judy was flash frozen[/spoiler].

Professor Bear

The second half of the first episode started to lose me, with some groan-inducing moments of coincidence, plot elements clunking into place, the robot, "danger Will Robinson", etc, and the pacing on individual scenes seemed a bit odd - like they were dragging on a little too long in some way.
The plot seemed to owe a lot to the John Woo Lost In Space pilot from the early 2000s, and a lot of the writing seemed labored, especially the strains in the family relationships which just seem tired and lazy when the script/premise has the in-built conflict engine of Dr Smith infiltrating and undermining an existing dynamic.  It's almost as if the writers thought "no, these characters need to not get along from the off because otherwise there's no tension in this story about characters chased by aliens and stranded in another galaxy with an escaped murderer in their midst and surrounded by killer petrol snakes."  This also leaves a big question mark in the middle of the world building about how, if these characters were supposed to be in close proximity to each other on a tiny ship for months and then set up a colony somewhere, weren't they screened to be sure they actually got along?  And why have John Robinson/Don West been conflated into one character?
There's also an odd recurring visual motif where the tops of significant visuals are cropped off for some reason - almost like the show was shot in 4:3 and then they added a letter box that clipped off the top of the shot, but it's hard to see how this would happen nowadays given how technology has shifted and how some of the visuals are purely CGI.
It's nice-looking, mind.  Not much better than the notably-cheap French tv show Missions, though, which is odd.

An aggressively meh reboot.

TordelBack

Glad it wasn't just me that thought the visuals were cropped - I had the family driven mad switching through the ratios on the telly.

There were pacing oddities, strange undermining of main threats (if it was dropping to -60, why didn't they close the door of the tent?  Why was it obviously temperate where Will was?) and a lack of clarity about what was going on in the Earth sequences contrasting with laboured exposition in the post-crash scenes. Also,  the obligatory lines and reveal of 'Dr Smith' that depended on nostalgia for effect, and thus were lost on my kids (although I was personally thrilled by the [spoiler]Bill Mumy cameo and switcheroo)[/spoiler].

But all that said, it was really good fun, the jeopardy level was well judged for family viewing,  it was well-acted (Judy and Penny were excellent) and I thought a lot of it looked gorgeous: Robot in particular, and the kids wanted to steam straight into the second episode. So job done: we'll definitely be back for more.