Main Menu

"Y: The Last Man" Film

Started by Goaty, 23 July, 2008, 02:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

From Darkhorizons.com

"At a special screening of footage from "Eagle Eye" to various online press (including myself) in Los Angeles today, Director D.J. Caruso confirmed that the film version of "Y: The Last Man" is looking good.

"My agent keeps going 'Oh my god, Warner Bros wants this', which is great" says Caruso who originally setup the project at New Line. Scribe Carl Ellsworth is expected to hand a script into the studio shortly.

The comic told of a young escape artist monkey named Yorick and his pet monkey becoming the last two men on Earth every mammal possessing a Y chromosome dies. With society collapsed, Yorick sets out to find his girlfriend Beth who was on holiday in Australia.

Caruso says that he sees the story as a trilogy with the first movie "basically where you pick up six weeks after the incident then progressing down only a five or six week journey from that point on until the end of the first movie."

Caruso claims the angle with Beth will be downplayed, and their presently working out how the 355/Yorrick relationship will work on screen. He also says that Shia LaBeouf "really wants to do it" and he hopes to start filming on the project in January for release in 2010."

Roger Godpleton

Lewis Stevens as Yorick Brown would be good, if he doesn't go overboard with the wacky.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "goaty"Caruso says that he sees the story as a trilogy
Oh, what a huge surprise! Why does everything have to be seen as a sodding trilogy these days? Gah!

Dan Kelly

Can you honestly see them adapting "Y" in anything less that 3 parts?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "dankell"Can you honestly see them adapting "Y" in anything less that 3 parts?
Seeing as the book itself has so much filler, a decent screenwriter could create an adaptation based on the premise of the book. The problem I have is that with almost any story these days, creators yell 'trilogy!' without giving it a second thought. Hell, even Transformers is being touted as a trilogy in some quarters, which is totally ridiculous.

Bongo Jack

They lost me at 'Shia LaBeouf'.
Live forever or die trying

IndigoPrime

The lost me at Y: The Last Man, to be honest. I'm really bored of the series, and once I've read the last two books (I hate leaving stuff in the middle of a series), I think I'll happily dump the entire lot on eBay.

Bongo Jack

It's possible to just read the first and last books and view it as a flawed classic.  It's when you read the rest of it that you realise there's probably better things you can do with your time.
Live forever or die trying

Roger Godpleton

I've realised that Brian K. Vaughan is essentially the annoying, crap version of DAbnett as he constantly feels the need to pollute his work with oh-so-clever wordplay and literary references. Wow, you read books.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Radbacker

B.K.V as the fans like to call him is a legend, he's consistently written some of the best US comics of the last 5 years.  Y while it has its filler is a top story and really is just about the relationship that developes between Yorik and 355 over the years, would work better as a series though like a troad trip show (think of all the Hot chicks they could cast each week).
Deus Ex-Machina is also great, who'd of thunk a comic about the Mayor of N.Y. city could be so cool, and not just for The Great Machine flashbacks its interesting to see how a U.S city runs. Haven't read Pride of Bagdahd yet but have heard many good things about it.

I think Shia is perfectly cast and thought he'd be great if they ever did a Y movie when I saw him in Disturbia.

CU Radbacker

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "Bongo Jack"It's possible to just read the first and last books and view it as a flawed classic.  It's when you read the rest of it that you realise there's probably better things you can do with your time.
Mm. That's kind of how I'm feeling about it. With something like Ultimate Spidey (or whatever), you expect a lot of it to be shite filler, because that's the nature of the beast. (That said, Usagi Yojimbo is an ongoing, and I've yet to be anything less than enthralled by those books.) However, for a finite series, there really shouldn't be so much fat to trim. I'm no big Preacher fan, but even that was fairly tight. And compared to, say, Lucifer or Sandman, Y is positively bulging with stuff that could happily have been cut. The funny thing is, had this been a 2000 AD series, it would have been one or two 2000 AD 'books', and probably all the better for it.

judgerufian

As I have just read the last graphic novel, some of the above posts ring true regarding the filler in the middle but would some of the stuff in the last book mean so much if you hadnt gone through 50+ issues beforehand, I think not. (Mind you Im glad I didnt spend the cash on the individual issues!)
I'd like to see some newbie play Yorick as he basically is an everyman weed not some American square jaw.
Cant see interest being sustained over 3 films though...good luck Warners.