Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 June, 2019, 04:22:08 PM
hmm .. something's up with the Apple podcast store today - this ep isn't showing up as usual.

Sorry for the difficulty, try re-downloading and it should be working now! Or a reposted version should be filtering through the podcast feeds.

Quote from: sheridan on 03 June, 2019, 02:08:48 PM
Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 03 June, 2019, 08:01:14 AMAlso! If you want your 1986 opinions to be heard please send them in, either here or through email or other social media! Spinnies 1987 nominations close on June 15th 2019!

Remind me - how many nominations do we get, and does it include summer sci-fi specials and annuals or just the prog?
If annuals are allowed - the 1986 one released in 1985, or the 1987 ones released in 1986?  (I realise you probably mention all this in the podcast, but the caches haven't gone through in time for me to listen in today's lunch hour*
* yes, I'm lucky enough to get a full hour for lunch!

Categories are: Best Art, Best Writing, Best Overall Thrill, Best Month, and Best Overall year (up to 1986). Nominations can be as large or as small as possible (though probably more specific than just "DREDD"), and include both progs and Specials and Annuals for the year (so the 86 Sci-Fi Special and the 87 Annuals). Multiple choices for the categories is fine,  and feel free to explain your choices!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Dandontdare

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 03 June, 2019, 05:12:13 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 June, 2019, 04:22:08 PM
hmm .. something's up with the Apple podcast store today - this ep isn't showing up as usual.

Sorry for the difficulty, try re-downloading and it should be working now! Or a reposted version should be filtering through the podcast feeds.

LOL, my phone is now downloading both!

sheridan

Managed to get my phone to start streaming it while on my way home - diversions and road closures meant I had a bit more time than usual to commute (do you commute home or just to work?) good show!

WhizzBang

Best Art - Carlos Ezquerra was well represented in 1986 with Ragnarok and Rage and it was all of such a consistently high standard. He wasn't given any clunkers this year but even when he did do stuff like Tharg strips they are made readable and enjoyable by his work.

Best Writing - Wagner and Grant had another great year for Dredd with the focus on short stories. McGruder leaving (and firing the council for their loyalty), the Stroberry Jam story (it is a real psychological illness that is described here, one that I have witnessed), Adrian Cockroach, It Pays To Be Mental, The Exploding Man, Stan Lee, and Kenny Who were some of the highlights but it was all good all year.

Best Overall Year - 1982 for me

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 03 June, 2019, 05:12:13 PM
Categories are: Best Art, Best Writing, Best Overall Thrill, Best Month, and Best Overall year (up to 1986). Nominations can be as large or as small as possible (though probably more specific than just "DREDD"), and include both progs and Specials and Annuals for the year (so the 86 Sci-Fi Special and the 87 Annuals). Multiple choices for the categories is fine,  and feel free to explain your choices!

To help people along - this is what appeared in 1986, culled from Barney (the annuals seem really light, if you take out all the features and reprint material).

Amazing year, appearances by John Wagner, Alan Grant, Carlos, Jamie Delano, John Smith, Steve Dillon, Bryan Talbot, Kevin O'Neill, Gary Leach, Glenn Fabry, John Ridgway, Cam Kennedy, John Higgins, Massimo Belardinelli, Ian Gibson, Mike Collins, Brett Ewins, Eric Bradbury, Robin Smith, David Lloyd and more.  And the debuts of Neil Gaiman and John Hicklenton.

Progs

• Ace Trucking Co: The Doppelgarp
  • Ace Trucking Co: The Garpetbaggers
  • Halo Jones Book 3
  • Slaine: The Tomb of Terror
  • Slaine: The Spoils of Annwn
  • Slaine the King
  • You are Slaine
  • Strontium Dog: Max Bubba
  • Strontium Dog: Smiley's World
  • Strontium Dog: Rage
  • Strontium Dog: Incident on Mayger Minor
  • Strontium Dog: Warzone!
  • Tharg's Future-Shocks: The Armageddon Game
  • Tharg's Future-Shocks: Hotel Harry Felix
  • TFS: Oh What a Lovely War
  • TFS: Sud's Law
  • TFS: Second Out
  • Tharg the Mighty: Supersub!
  • Anderson, Psi Division: The Possessed
  • Bad City Blue
  • Sooner or Later
  • TFS: Alien Aid
  • TFS: Time Enough to Tell
  • Tharg the Mighty: 2000BC
  • TFS: Some People Never Listen
  • TFS: The Shop that Sold Everything
  • TFS: Video
  • TFS: Daffy Daffif
  • Danger: Genius at Work
  • TFS: Ten
  • TFS: Wheels of Fury
  • Nemesis the Warlock: Torquemurder
  • Metalzoic
  • TFS: Curse Your Lucky Star
  • Blood Sport
  • TFS: You're Never Alone with a Phone
  • TFS: Conversation Piece
  • TFS: A Change of Scenery
  • TFS: Candy and the Catchman
  • Rogue Trooper: The Hit Man
  • Bad Company
  • Tharg's Head Revisited
  • TFS: The Ship that Liked to Dance

Dredd in 2000AD

• The Warlord
  • Beggars' Banquet
  • A Chief Judge Resigns
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Cockroach
  • Last Voyage of the Flying Dutchman
  • Letter From a Democrat
  • The Falucci Tape
  • Gribligs
  • The Big Sleep
  • It Pays to be Mental
  • Rumours Can Kill
  • Zombies
  • The Exploding Man
  • Riders on the Storm
  • The Law According to Dredd
  • Paid with Thanks
  • The Art of Kenny Who?
  • Russell's Inflatable Muscles
  • The Dredd Syndrome
  • Perp Aid
  • The Fists of Stan Lee
  • Atlantis
  • Block Rite
  • Pinboing Replay
  • The Peeper
  • Attack of the 50ft Woman
  • The Dead Ringer
  • Phantom of the Shoppera
  • Tomb of the Judges
  • Hell's Packers
  • The Witness
  • A Real Xmas Story
  • Varks!
Sci-Fi Special

• Judge Dredd: Beyond the Wall
  • Slaine: The Devil's Banquet
  • Rogue Trooper: The Fanatics
2000AD Annual

• Rogue Trooper: Nort by Nortwest
  • Strontium Dog: Fever
  • Judge Anderson: Golem
  • Judge Dredd: Ladies' Night
  • Tharg's Future-Shocks: Return to Sender
Judge Dredd Annual

• Judge Dredd: Meanwhile...
  • Judge Dredd: Report to the Chief Judge on the Accidental Death
  • Judge Dredd and the Seven Dwarves
Diceman - all five issues were published in 1986!

• Judge Dredd: House of Death
  • Slaine: Cauldron of Blood
  • Slaine: Dragoncorpse
  • Slaine: The Ring of Danu
  • Nemesis the Warlock: The Torture Tube
  • Ronald Reagan: Twilight's Last Gleaming
  • Diceman: In the Bronx, no-one can hear you scream
  • Diceman: Dark Powers
  • Diceman: Bitter Streets
  • Diceman: Murder One
  • Torquemada: The Garden of Alien Delights
  • ABC Warriors: Volgo the Ultimate Death Machine
  • Rogue Trooper: Space Zombies
  • Rogue Trooper: Killothon

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 03 June, 2019, 08:18:28 PM
Everything in 1986

Thanks! '86 has been a really long year for the podcast, we've have a few stops and slowdowns, so a refresher is important, I can't believe Halo Jones was in January! We haven't done much Diceman, but I'm happy to hear opinions for sure!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

This is so difficult.  If I've gone overboard on the 'best overall thrill', I've put them in rough order, so cut off my votes at whichever point you choose.

Best Art
Torquemada: The Garden of Alien Delights, Bryan Talbot channeling Heironymous Bosch with Pat Mills putting us in Tomas' boots, to boot :-)

Best Writing
Alan Moore: Halo Jones Book III - the mage's last full work for 2000AD
Dredd: Letter from a Democrat - the foundations of so much that followed
Dredd: Beyond the Wall - a different kind of Dredd story

Best Overall Thrill
Strontium Dog: Max Bubba / The Ragnorok Job - changes Strontium Dog forever
Nemesis the Warlock: The Torture Tube, manages to take the excitement of the Terror Tube, do some worldbuilding (the Tube Worm!) and make it interactive!
Attack of the 50ft Woman - great work from Gary Leach, and I managed to see the original pages at Orbital Comics recently-ish.
Nemesis the Warlock: Torquemurder - Termight, the end of the world, the Monad, Satanus, what's not to like?
Metalzoic - I'd probably put this higher, but DC has the copyright but won't let Pat and Kev get it reprinted *hiss* *boo*
Diceman - Indiana Jones has nothing on him!
Atlantis - our first proper introduction to Brit-Cit Judges (not counting Ron Smith's ones from the Daily Dredd)
Varks - did Kevin ever draw and actual Aliens story?

Best Month
I'll skip this one because I've already spent ages on Barney!

Best Overall Year up to 1986: 1983 because it was the year that got me in to 2000AD!  Skizz, Nemesis the Warlock Book III, The Moses Quest Quest, Cry of the Werewolf, the Slaying of Slade...

The Monarch

Theres actually two banned pages of thargs head revisited the first one was the mick mcmahon one in which he spills his guts on artists who swiped from him and its not hard to figure out which artists are the "bloodsuckers" depicted in it.

the second one is brian bollands page in which he rips apart tharg for not giving him and other artists residuals from merch featuring art and characters they created.

i wanted to scan bloodsuckers for the podcast but alas my scanner was broken. I did find the original of the bolland on a tumbler blog that i would not be shocked is someone on this board

https://i.imgur.com/Z7QeOfb.jpg

funnily enough it was used in the 1988 annual but with a completely different script and the removal of the dead tharg

anyhoo for my picks of the year

Best Art

bryan talbot for his sublime work on nemesis both in prog and diceman

Best Writing

alan moore for halo jones 3 still imho one of moore best works

Best Overall Thrill

Strontium dog what could argueably be the last truly great year for johnny alpha as in my opinion it is never as good as this years run of the strip. don't get me wrong the strips still fun but it never ever reaches the heights of the ragnarok/rage double header again

Frank

Quote from: The Monarch on 05 June, 2019, 07:39:56 AM
Theres actually two banned pages of thargs head revisited the first one was the mick mcmahon one in which he spills his guts on artists who swiped from him and its not hard to figure out which artists are the "bloodsuckers" depicted in it.

the second one is brian bollands page in which he rips apart tharg for not giving him and other artists residuals from merch featuring art and characters they created.

i wanted to scan bloodsuckers for the podcast but alas my scanner was broken.

There's some very calm, rational discussion by adults, here: LINK

Dandontdare

I almost came here spoilin' for a fight, but you pulled it back at the very end - I was amazed you could review Slaine the King without even mentioning Fabry's stunning art, but Fox saved you in his best/worst round-up.

And how could I never have noticed "featuring Santa Dredd" in all these years?  ::)

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 June, 2019, 12:25:10 PM
I almost came here spoilin' for a fight, but you pulled it back at the very end - I was amazed you could review Slaine the King without even mentioning Fabry's stunning art, but Fox saved you in his best/worst round-up.

And how could I never have noticed "featuring Santa Dredd" in all these years?  ::)

That's amazing - I don't remember ever having noticed that either!

AlexF

Best Art: always a tough choice, but I'm going with Massimo Belardinelli, specifically for the Doppelgarp, which is stuffed full of deliriously manic goings-on. Plus, although we will get more from Massimo over the next couple of years, this is the last time we'll get him in every Prog all the time.
But I'm feeling bad for not calling out Ian Gibson's work on Halo Jones III.

Best Writing: since they wrote something like 3/4 of all stories for this entire year, it has to be Wagner and Grant! But specifically I'll give it to them for Judge Dredd. 1986 is, for me, the best year of fun, inventive, witty, and occasionally moving one-off Dredd tales.

Best Overall Thrill: no question, Strontium Dog RAGE! - what more need be said?

Best Month: May. My fave one-off Dredd, It Pays to be Mental, plus the start of the supremely gorgeous 'Possessed' story for Anderson, and the good opening bits of both Sooner or Later and Bad City Blue. Not to mention the kick-off to Rage!

Best Overall Year: The dead weight of the Garpetbaggers was holding me back, but looking at the list of all-time great thrills in 1986, I have call it as Tharg's best year yet.

Dandontdare

one last comment from this week's ep - Middenface didn't shoot the kreeler in the leg - as he exclaims, he gets him in "the butties" - I wonder if Carlos needed special translation/direction in order to draw the correct part of the anatomy being hit  :D

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 07 June, 2019, 04:34:22 PM
one last comment from this week's ep - Middenface didn't shoot the kreeler in the leg - as he exclaims, he gets him in "the butties" - I wonder if Carlos needed special translation/direction in order to draw the correct part of the anatomy being hit  :D

I think after nine years (just on 2000AD, more years elsewhere) he'd have got used to Wagner's sense of humour by that point :)

SpaceSpinner2000

In our action-packed thirteenth episode Conrad continues the journey through the pages of the infamous classic UK comic with the Action Summer Special! This time we learn the origins of Hookjaw and Blackjack, Dredger goes to the roof, and you'd better stop looking at rocks and start swimming!

This episode Conrad is joined by Space Spinner 2000 co host Fox! Worlds are colliding!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!