Main Menu

Risk: Streets of MC-1

Started by Bolt-01, 23 October, 2006, 10:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

I played risk last night for the first time ever. Top game and a thoroughly enjoyeable experience.

One thing that struck me was the simplicity of the game play. It was very adaptable and I reckon it would be a very easy game to port over to Mega-city 1.

With that in mind, would it be best to ignore the judges and use the Cits instead? That way each of the 'continents' would be a sector and the combatants could be citidef units or block-maniacs?

Thoughts?

Anybody fancy seeing if we can sort something out for this?

Bolt-01

Bico

Didn't GTA: San Andreas do much the same thing, but with gang territory?  That's quite similar in principle - I'd also recommend checking out Advance Wars on the GBA, which has to be going for pennies these days.  You can try before you buy by downloading the rom off t'interweb, but the main charm is playing it in a portable form.

I, Cosh

Used to love a good four or five player game of Risk, but haven't played it for a while.

There are special editions based on things like Lord of the Rings and Star Wars which might be worth looking at to see how they deal with a more enclosed environment (only one continent on Middle Earth.) They also include things like special missions and variant rules for two player games.
We never really die.

Byron Virgo

Well, I never imagined that I'd see Risk (quite possibly a viable candidate for the dullest board game in the history of dull board games) mentioned in the same breath as Grand Theft Auto (accredited as 'The Violentest Game on Earth').

DavidXBrunt

I used to love joining my much older brother and his mates about an hour into their game of Risk and then taking over the world in about 5 minutes flat.

Good game, and a Dredd version sounds fun.

Dante or Rogue Trooper sound even better though...

Cthulouis

"There are special editions based on things like Lord of the Rings and Star Wars which might be worth looking at to see how they deal with a more enclosed environment (only one continent on Middle Earth.)"

The lord of the rings risk divided countries instead of continents, so instead of asia you have mordor etc.

Risk Godstorm is a game set in slainesque times, but unfortunately shows the unbalanced nature of having gods walk the earth, so the romanovs would need some thinking out to come up with rules for.

As for MC1, I recon Block Mania or the Apocalyspe War have the most potential, with the possibility of having some sort of combo game of the two sounding pretty damned cool, Block Mania up until a randomly determined turn unleashes a load of sovs onto the board!

ukdane

Cheers

-Daney

Dog Deever

Both the Star Wars Risk and LOTR Risk use a pack of cards as well, adding various bits and pieces into the game- such as special missions to capture particular areas gaining you extra manpower, and the LOTR game has the Fellowship trekking across the board to mark time- though you don't have to use this method of play.
The biggest difficulty would be gaming pieces- wouldn't they have to be injection moulded plastic or something? That might be costly, I don't know. Presumably a board, dice and cards would be easy to do though. Block War sounds good. Seperate sections could be linked (like the sea routes in the proper game) using overzooms and slidewalks- and Dan Tanna Junction! Wouldn't it have to be produced under license- I've heard the board games industry is rife with lawsuits, don't know if it's true though!
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

ThryllSeekyr

I used to play RISK alot too when I used to share house with some former school friends.

A RISK inspired game set between the zones of Mega-City One rocks my world. Although not every Zone has a equal amount of Sectors to be fought for.

Doesn't matter really, it's still a great idea.

Each zone that could have different fighting units.

Meg East: The Judges.

Meg South: Robots.

Meg West: Apes.

Meg North: Wealthy Citizens of the corprate world.

North-West Hab Zone: Any of the other well known Perps.

Cursed Earth: Mutants

Undercity: Troggies.

Straing from just one selected sectors in your chosen zone, you dpeoy your units, spreading across the Mega-city one map until you run into you opponents.

Using the credits from scetor you occupiy and have built on and the zones you control you can recruit more generic units ( Available to all Zones.) such as Street Punks, Futsies, Fatties, City Defence Militia, Sky Surfers or more speicalised troopes originating from the Zone you picked like H-Wagons, Manta Prowl tanks, Psi-Judges, Wallies for East-Meg zone. Blitzers, Gila-Munja, Kleegs and their hounds for West-Meg.
Giant Tarrantula's and the Angel Gang for the the Cursed Earth Region.

The entire game could cover the Time-line of Mega City one starting from the first Prog that Judge Dredd appeared in. With a Prog involving
Judge Dredd or Mega-city One featuring in
each game round. Effecting the events within that round of the game.

Cthulouis

The undercity could be like the moon in risk 2210 or the underworld in risk godstorm, in that it could be on a seperate board and have certain access points to the main board.

nick-is-at-home

Risk would probably be the most adaptable game out there for the Dredd world. Either that or maybe that ZOMBIES!! game which im dying to play...

it seems to have a very strange set of rules. Anyone else know what im on about?

DavidXBrunt

I know the game you mean, and quite fancy it myself.

ThryllSeekyr

What you need is a good map of Meg-city one. It doesn't have to bne too detailed. Just the basics.

Somebody else mentioned here about zooms, and flyovers. That would be cool also. Allowing players to move to point on the other side of the map in a lesser number of game rounds or skip a intervening sector or zome to get somewhere safely.

Link: http://www.twilightcreationsinc.com/zombies/" target="_blank">You want ZOMIBIES!!! Are these the ZOMBIES you are

http://www.twilightcreationsinc.com/images/pgzombiesbox.jpg">

COMMANDO FORCES

Remember,
         Always take Australia first and you never lose.

That`s what I did (got no-one to play with now as I`m all grown up) and it never failed.

paulvonscott

Love boadgames, love Judge Dredd...

But Risk... ack!  Why spoil the imaginitive background of Dredd on a game lisk risk... I don't know.  But good luck to you if that's your bag.

I am designing a Dredd related boardgame at the moment (for my own rather tragic amusement), I'll be asking for playtesters eventually I hope.  Though as I am doing it at my own pace it may take a while.

I was designing anothe Dredd one for a games company at one time, spent a lot of time on it, and when my proposal was ready, it turned out they weren't going to be doing that sort of thing after all :p  Never mind...