Main Menu

PROG 1837 END OF DAYS

Started by JUDGE BURNS, 15 June, 2013, 01:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUDGE BURNS

Just had my prog drop through the mailbox and its DREDD on the cover. Art by Chris Weston

A definate nominee for the cover of the year ( so far )

DREDD: Wastelands new story by John Wagner.  Dredd is starting to feel the guilt that MC1 is laid waste due to his previous actions leading back to the Apocalpse war.

There is a good Future Shock at the end of the prog.

Will read the rest of the prog later.

chuffsteruk

moly

Good start to the new dredd story shame the artwork wasn't as good though

Defoe best thing this week cracking bit of back story

Sin dex really like the way he continues to talk to himself

Future shocks was a good one off

djangoesque

No Prog or Meg for me either, doesn't happen very often but when it does it's sure as hell annoying!.

Proudhuff

Meg but no prog,   :( has the thrillpower in this issue finally taken out Oxford sorting office?
DDT did a job on me

djangoesque

Bah!!, still no prog or meg:(.

I, Cosh

Happy to report that both my Meg and Prog arrived safely on Saturday despite the ravening hordes of Stone Roses fans invading Glasgow for the weekend.

Cracking Chris Weston cover and a stonking Dredd story. No disrespect intended to anyone else but, despite a number of good stories over the last year, this is undoubtedly what the world's been waiting for since Day of Chaos. Plenty of ways this could go from here but I imagine Mr Wagner will surprise me as ever. Dave Taylor's Dredd is slightly weedy for me but overall the art is nice and manages to evoke the decay and devastation pretty well. Plus it's always nice to see an artist colouring their own work on this strip.

Defoe's my favourite current Mills strip and the opening episodes of the new run have been very enjoyable. Putting a little more meat onto the bones of our man's past while allowing the artist to serve up some putrefying delights.

I've also enjoyed the OTT narration in the last couple of episodes of Sinister/Dexter although I can't help thinking it's about time Ray went looking for Finny for a change.
We never really die.

Fisticuffs

I felt Dredd was the weakest in a while to be honest. :( Not a fan of the art either, but as usual I'm sure Mr Wagner will pull it out the bag in great fashion, just not feeling the first installment.

Mister Macheath

Even though we'd already seen it, that cover had plenty of pulling-it-out-of-the-envelope oomph, really, really good. Similarly I really loved Dredd and agree that it is thee post-DOC story that's been a long time coming. Not to dismiss the other stories that have come before it, but this is scratching an itch that needed taking care of!

Cadet Anderson is an action strip, pure and simple. I'm fine with that and it's a grand oul' read, the garish Ezquerra art suits it really well.

I'm glad that Defoe is pretty exposition heavy, having not been familiar with the character before. Cracking art and a suitably grim episode. Yeah!

Sin/Dex is still gloriously OTT with that tasty painted Burns art, and I'm a real fan of anything with the word 'shite' in the title. As much as I'm loving it though I would really like to meet the other half of the duo (also new to this strip).

The Terror Tale was cool enough. I did find the meta-ness just a weeeee bit too overt in a slightly cringeworthy way, but it was still plenty good fun and I LOVE the grim endings these tend to have. Real Twilight Zone stuff.

All in all, the best prog in quite a while for this cowboy. Full of grimness and free of Stickleback, which (along with Dandridge and Red Seas before it) really had it clogged up for the past few months IMHO. Room to breathe now!

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 June, 2013, 11:49:29 PM

Cracking Chris Weston cover and a stonking Dredd story. No disrespect intended to anyone else but, despite a number of good stories over the last year, this is undoubtedly what the world's been waiting for since Day of Chaos. Plenty of ways this could go from here but I imagine Mr Wagner will surprise me as ever. Dave Taylor's Dredd is slightly weedy for me but overall the art is nice and manages to evoke the decay and devastation pretty well. Plus it's always nice to see an artist colouring their own work on this strip.

Defoe's my favourite current Mills strip and the opening episodes of the new run have been very enjoyable. Putting a little more meat onto the bones of our man's past while allowing the artist to serve up some putrefying delights.

I've also enjoyed the OTT narration in the last couple of episodes of Sinister/Dexter although I can't help thinking it's about time Ray went looking for Finny for a change.

all this ^^ and more: The Cover is cracking but there seems to be an extra bit of thigh/knee added it JD, that or Old Stoney face has some Joey Ramone genes in there.

Thrills of the Future; Kingdom:Aux Drift.  yooowsa!

Damage report: Sprogdropping in the Command module...

Anderson; AKA x-men four marys a bit of a watse of the Squrriel time i feel.

Graham Norton in Plain Shite, honestly read it in graham's voice, suddenly it all makes sense ( don't worry Ramone's pic will be in that envelope...)

Future shock; wonderful self refs and cracking art from GNR he really has upped his game over the last few years, he should be in Tharg's stable regular.

Ads; LEGO SUPERMAN? WTF.. great ad for year One #3, that is a progworthy image.

DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JUDGE BURNS on 15 June, 2013, 01:58:59 PM

Are we allowing this sort of shameless Prog Thread blagging to pass without comment, now?

Not on my watch! I cry FOUL! The Prog Thread is supposed to go the the first person who's received and read the prog.

Go to your room and think about what you've done.

Bah!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mabs

I' m with Jim on this one!  ;)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 June, 2013, 07:28:32 PM
Quote from: JUDGE BURNS on 15 June, 2013, 01:58:59 PM

Are we allowing this sort of shameless Prog Thread blagging to pass without comment, now?

Not on my watch! I cry FOUL! The Prog Thread is supposed to go the the first person who's received and read the prog.

Go to your room and think about what you've done.

Bah!

Jim
I can only assume that the Dredd was so good it burnt out Mr. Burns thrill receptors. I can empaphise somewhat.

Pop Culture Bandit

Dredd - Nice mix of melancholy as Dredd ruminates over his mistakes and an attempt to rebuild and move on after the disaster. Not overly fond of the art - the buildings look like grey jellies.

Anderson - This whole story has felt a bit predictable and plodding since that initial reveal of the legless babies. I feel like more could have been done with this, and perhaps under a more photo-realistic artist, it would have had more of a shocking sting to it.

Sinister Dexter - Things seem to be progressing and Finny looks to be getting back to his roots with a bit of real wetwork, although I think he'll find it hard to be inconspicuous in Generica whilst performing high profile hits.

Defoe - As a new reader, I've really appreciated this introductory approach to Defoe. I really love the artwork and look forward to seeing things develop.
Thrill of the Week.

Future Shock - A nice, if somewhat self-indulgent Future Shock. I noticed the [spoiler]dragon[/spoiler] at the start, but wrote it off as a quirk of the artist. Really enjoyed the art style here and would love to see more. Has Graeme Neil Reid appeared in the Prog before?

For a more detailed review, check out my blog post - http://popculturebandit.blogspot.com/2013/06/2000ad-prog-1837.html