Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

Quote from: sintec on 13 July, 2018, 04:48:21 PM
It's a shame the keep having to split the ABC Warriors stories over multiple books.
from the look of MEK Files 3, the next volume is likely to conclude slap bang in the middle of Shadow Warriors as well.

EDIT: just looked at my list of the books in the series and it quotes two volumes of Volgan War, which are the contents of MEK Files 4, suggesting the first four 'collection' volumes match the first three MEK Files.

Tomwe

...and we won't get Return To Earth/Mars/Ro-Busters at all  :(

sintec

Quote from: Tomwe on 13 July, 2018, 05:13:39 PM
...and we won't get Return To Earth/Mars/Ro-Busters at all  :(

Those would seem like prime candidates for an extension (if we get one).

sintec

I'm considering grabbing a small collection of the Dredd books from the Mega Collection to round out the Dredd material in the Ultimate Collection which is sady, if understandably, lacking in Dredd epics.  From past conversation it's clear that there are several Mega Collection subcribers on this thread; which books would you consider the most essential to pick up, and which ones are worth avoiding?

I already have America (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Dredd-America-John-Wagner/dp/1905437587/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531508826&sr=8-1&keywords=dredd+america but other than that the only other Dredd I own is the Ultimate Collection stuff.  Necropolis would seem an obvious pick as it'd be nice to have the story that precedes the epilogue we got.  Beyond that I'm less certain what to prioritise, are there any good prequels/sequels to the Dark Justice stuff we're expecting here?

Tjm86

I think it's fair to say that the better question is: which ones should we avoid.  To be fair, this was a reasonably well chosen collection with very few duff volumes.

I'd have to say that the B&W volumes have not weathered well mind.  The modern colour stuff is generally served far better.  As far as Cursed Earth is concerned, the uncensored edition is the better option.  Personally I'd be inclined to say that any of the Titan hardback editions do a far better job than this collection did with quite a few of the early epics.

Weird Science, Independent Operators and Fallen Angels are odd choices and don't do a great job.  Nor do Calhab Justice or the World at Law.  I think most people's utter contempt though was reserved for Cursed Earth Carnage and The Heavy Mob, both of which showed the Meg at its worst.  So all things considered, a reasonable serving all round.

The Wikipedia page is a pretty good reference for contents if you're particularly interested.

NapalmKev

I'm still hoping (in vain I suspect) that we'll get at least some of the Summer Offensive strips. I'd also like to see The Clown get thrown in there and no I'm not taking the piss! I've had more than enough of the likes of Ace Trucking Co. and Halo Jones*

Cheers

*I'm more than aware that Alan Moore is revered by many but I don't hold him in as high a regard as others**

**I'm not saying he's shit, just that I'm not his biggest fan

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Southstreeter

I'm figuring if the ABCs will be collected more or less completely that'll be a better deal than the Mek Files, even if they do split them a bit illogically.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: NapalmKev on 14 July, 2018, 07:23:19 AMI'm still hoping (in vain I suspect) that we'll get at least some of the Summer Offensive strips.
There's no John Smith stuff at all in the initial 80, and of his work, I can think of a bunch of strips I'd sooner see in hardback than the extended Future Shock that was Slaughterbowl. As for the others, Really & Truly ended up in that Rain Hughes hardback a while ago, so who knows what's going on there? Which leaves the mediocre Maniac 5 and the divisive Big Dave. Frankly, if Hachette issues a hardback of the last of those in the current climate, it deserves for the entire series to fail. (At the time, I questioned the 'satire' of that strip – it was Ricky Gervais before that goon existed in the public eye, all punching down rather than up. Today, it looks like a relic.)

I also suspect for the most part, if you want to figure out what might appear in an extension of the series, look at what Rebellion has already published in trade form.

EDIT: On Big Dave, Rennie's comments in this ancient thread largely sum things up for me. There were bits of Big Dave that were just indefensible. Much of the remainder was "HAHAHA! POOFS!" and similar. It thought it was Chris Morris, but it was Chris Morris with a lobotomy, having been charged with taking the piss out of people in a comic for the Daily Mail.

The Monarch

doesn't big dave fall under creator owned now anyway since fleetway wanted nothing to do with it after the series was done....

seriously though no hc killing times a crime

IndigoPrime

The lack of even a single Indigo Prime book is a crushing shame. A reprint of that first Rebellion volume would have been most welcome, and it probably could have included Dead Eyes and Everything and More. Anthropocalypse as well would probably be too much of a squeeze for the page count.

I'm not sure how you'd tie them together thematically, but Firekind, Leatherjack, Cradlegrave and Revere come to just under 400 pages. Lob in some Smith Future Shocks and those would be two cracking volumes. (And it's not like the collection isn't doing combined stuff – Dr & Quinch + Skizz, for example.)

Alas...

sintec

Based on what Hachette had available, reading a bunch of wiki pages and Tjm86 comments I've ordered Necropolis, Total War, Day Of Chaos: Fourth Faction and Day Of Chaos: Endgame.

Will probably look to add The Dead Man volume to those at some point in the future as that seems like it's the intro to the Necropolis arc.  And I might grab the early Judge Death stuff as well.

Much as I'd like to do the full 90 books my girlfriend is already questioning where the increasing numbers of books/boardgames/vinyl that keep arriving are going to live so I think I'd best show a little restraint.

Apestrife

Quote from: sintec on 14 July, 2018, 10:34:07 AM
Based on what Hachette had available, reading a bunch of wiki pages and Tjm86 comments I've ordered Necropolis, Total War, Day Of Chaos: Fourth Faction and Day Of Chaos: Endgame.

Will probably look to add The Dead Man volume to those at some point in the future as that seems like it's the intro to the Necropolis arc.  And I might grab the early Judge Death stuff as well.

Much as I'd like to do the full 90 books my girlfriend is already questioning where the increasing numbers of books/boardgames/vinyl that keep arriving are going to live so I think I'd best show a little restraint.

Nice selection.

I think Origins, Tour of duty bk 1-3, Day of chaos bk1-3 and Blood of the emeralds pretty much reads like one big story :)

moogie101

Quote from: sintec on 14 July, 2018, 10:34:07 AM

Have you tried looking on eBay, much cheaper than hachette and how I picked up most of the dredd series.

sintec

Quote from: Apestrife on 14 July, 2018, 01:24:47 PM
Nice selection.

I think Origins, Tour of duty bk 1-3, Day of chaos bk1-3 and Blood of the emeralds pretty much reads like one big story :)

I'll keep those ones in mind if I'm tempted to grab any more.

Quote from: moogie101 on 14 July, 2018, 01:39:41 PM
Have you tried looking on eBay, much cheaper than hachette and how I picked up most of the dredd series.

I gave it a look but most stuff listed at the moment was around the same price as Hachette once I factored in postage (Hachette's was free for 3+ books).  That or they were volumes I had less interest in.  I'll be keeping my eyes on it to see if I can pick up any of the others I've got earmarked though.

Nellgrove

Which post contains the most recent list of what's planned for the initial 80? Keep delaying subscribing, but getting more and more tempted.