Main Menu

John Wagner and sex.

Started by PsychoGoatee, 01 August, 2010, 01:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

Good topic title, eh? :D

Random question, what are some examples of John Wagner stories where the main character or a prominent character has sex with someone? Not just a one-off random character getting laid, also doesn't have to be from 2000AD.

John is pretty much the best writer in the biz in my book. Just curious, as at the moment I can't think of any, and for a writer who's covered so much I can't think of much he's written involving sex. Of course, needless to say Dredd doesn't get laid, and Alpha was often pretty stoic, refusing Durham Red's advances like Batman would of Catwoman.

One reason this came to mind is A History of Violence. One of the numerous differences is in the movie the main couple are shown having sex on a couple occasions, in the graphic novel they don't. The movie focused more on Tom's wife and their relationship, so it fits better there than it may have in the comic.

Not that every main character needs to get their rocks off, though it seems like something that'd be covered in some of these gritty tales that don't shy away from the taboo.

I'm sure he has written it, but it's not coming to mind. So... sex?

Pete Wells

Harry did quite a bit of bonking in Buttonman and Alpha has been known to shag on occasion.

mogzilla

"he " has probably just used up a box of tissues with that title alone  :o ;)

Trout

I'm pretty sure Alpha shagged the frog woman in Incident on Mayger Minor (or however it was spelled), although we didn't see it. There was definitely... frisson.

PsychoGoatee

Oh yeah, Buttonman! Good call on that, I knew I was forgetting a big one, classic.

And hey folks, talking about sex is very normal for us adults, it doesn't mean I'm going to need to... hold on... okay what was I saying?

But yes, sex, it's always a good thing to have in your stories. And to open this topic up more, how about what are some longer or more explored romantic relationships in Wagner stuff? When I think Wagner this stuff isn't the first that comes to mind, which is why it's interesting... or something like that.  ;)

Trout

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: King Trout on 01 August, 2010, 01:27:53 PM
Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 01 August, 2010, 01:27:11 PM
I knew I was forgetting a big one.
Oh dear.

Indeed, I even have the Button Man: The Killing Game graphic novel on my shelf, hardbound. Okay it's actually soft cover...  :lol:

Dash Decent

PJ Maybe and his sex-mek 'girlfriend'?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Mardroid

Alpha had sex in quite a recent SD story. (I say recent, as in 'most recently published' rather than the time setting.) The Mork Whisperer, I believe it was. It happens off-stage as it were which is how I actually prefer these scenes really. I know people say it's realistic to have sex in a story, but it's not really realistic to stand by  your mate's bed with a scoreboard while he's copping off is it? Everything you see is before and after. Mostly. Unless you're the one that gets lucky, obviously.

In the previous story 'Blood Moon' he meets the reporter lady 'Precious'. We don't know if they 'did it' or not but a couple of comments she makes when they first meet are a bit suggestive. (Or maybe it's just my dirty mind...)

JayzusB.Christ

Wulf has a mutie threesome in Traitor to his Kind.
Necropolis started with two citizens shagging.  And DeMarco was shagging another judge too, can't remember his name but he turned out to be a right little oik.  Oh yeah, and that Nero Narcos had some kind of huge prosthetic mickey that he regularly stuck into those thick bimbos he hung round with.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

malkymac

Was there not a story (or stories) about olympic sex athletes?

Jared Katooie

Personally, I think he's written a fair few stories with sex in them.

It's generally implied, as it should be.

The Adventurer

Dredd tends to make Love on Mega City 1 with his Daystick every day.

Granted, its tough Love...

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

JayzusB.Christ

Quotebut it's not really realistic to stand by  your mate's bed with a scoreboard while he's copping off is it?

Really? I wish someone had told me that.  No wonder they stay away from me these days.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

Johnny Alpha's forever getting his hole, but I actually like the way the newer ones haven't felt the need to hit you over the head with it but kept a consistent tone with the older stories. Contrast this with Buttonman (or even more recent PJ Maybe stories) where it's pretty full on and you see the writer handling sex differently to suit the story he's writing.

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 01 August, 2010, 01:14:21 PM
One reason this came to mind is A History of Violence. One of the numerous differences is in the movie the main couple are shown having sex on a couple occasions, in the graphic novel they don't. The movie focused more on Tom's wife and their relationship, so it fits better there than it may have in the comic.
I've not read the comic so this is quite interesting as the two sex scenes in the film are quite key in depicting the changing relationship between Viggo and his missus as his past is revealed.
We never really die.