Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

The art hunt continues... a bit more slowly now!

Latest finds - a McCarthy page from Riders on the Storm and this one from Atlantis; two of my favourite Dredd stories.  Lovely to see the master of the flary-helmet and wacky Tek-Judge and I really can't wait to see Brendan back on Dredd!

J3D1

Nice little bump there Ming, got my attention!
My most recent pick ups:

Which reminds me I must get a better photo of that Clint piece.

NeilFord

Cam Kennedy's original art for the 1st page of Rogue Trooper: Colonel Kovert - Part 4. Prog 353 I think, so 1984?

ming

Quote from: NeilFord on 01 November, 2010, 11:39:28 AMColonel Kovert - Part 4. Prog 353 I think, so 1984?

Yep - 28th January, 1984.

I did have to look that up.

Great, great page!

My collecting is slowing down, mainly because of the brain-melting cost of some of the pieces I've been looking at lately.  Hard to justify, despite how much I long for some of these pages...  What a horrible, lovely habit!  :D

EDIT: Neil, there's a Cam Kennedy thread here:
http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,26974.0.html

NeilFord

Cheers Ming, what a grand collection you have, I'm very jealous! ;) thanks for the Cam link, what a thoughtful thing to do for Cam in his retirement.

ming

Some more McCarthy goodness is heading my way soon...

From Riders on the Storm, one of the best Dredd stories ever for me.  I'm still trying to track down a page from Oz and The Witness (the latter scared the crap out of me as a kid)... One day.  I do love Brendan's art.

:)

Dunk!

Great find.

Superb art.

So... envious...
"Trust we"

Greg M.

That's a great page, that image of Dredd in the rain is an absolute classic.

ming

Thanks folks.  I wasn't chasing this and it wasn't really for sale, but got chatting with the owner (who bought it from Brendan 25 years ago) and one thing led to another.  Took Brendan 20 minutes to do this page, apparently  :o

Greg M.

20 minutes? That's just... I mean, it's.... I mean....

Speechless!

WhizzBang

What a fascinating thread!

I don't have any original comic artwork (although I do have the original artwork to an LP called 'Grotesque' by The Fall) but I do recall seeing some for sale in a poster shop near Piccadilly Circus in London about 10 years ago. All too expensive for me at the time but I remember there being a Carlos Ezquerra 2000AD cover for sale with the old curved 'Featuring Judge Dredd' logo. It seemed odd at the time that the text (logo, price, blurb, etc) had all been glued on by hand rather than being done on a computer.

Does anyone know what ever happened to the Judge Death Lives artwork? Has any of it ever turned up for sale?

ming

Quote from: WhizzBang on 02 April, 2011, 09:37:47 PM
Does anyone know what ever happened to the Judge Death Lives artwork? Has any of it ever turned up for sale?

Yup.  Some is still available, probably more tucked away to be released later.  Prices are very high for Bolland, and for Judge Death stuff especially so.

A page (the Peanut Park scene from JDL) went to $3,500-ish on eBay a week or so back (less than expected).  Joseph Melchior sells art on behalf of Brian, but those prices are crazy $15 up to 25K per page, as far as I know).  Check CAF.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: WhizzBang on 02 April, 2011, 09:37:47 PM
but I remember there being a Carlos Ezquerra 2000AD cover for sale with the old curved 'Featuring Judge Dredd' logo. It seemed odd at the time that the text (logo, price, blurb, etc) had all been glued on by hand rather than being done on a computer.

Droids had to do everything by hand back in the 80's.

Steven Sterlacchini

Amazing stuff!

Here's my 2000AD published bits.