Main Menu

Doctor Who - Season 8

Started by Goaty, 13 July, 2014, 09:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 05 October, 2014, 12:18:41 PM
Some of the physics I found troubling.

Coffee all over the keyboard here.  None of it made a whiff of sense, and the idea that the moon is the egg/prison/corpse of a vast space creature is as old as storytelling itself.  It was, however, pretty good fun and it's great to see something new in the Doctor/Companion dynamic. 

If you want some rationalising, a creature of that scale is presumably not based on ordinary matter, so we could suggest that it is syphoning matter/dark matter from a wormhole/another universe/subspace to create itself, and that the regular baryonic rock of the moon was all surplus to requirements once this process is complete, and hence recycled into a new egg the same way that hens do with eggshells (although note: it's not a chicken).

However if you want to know how unicellular lifeforms make webs, or how a littoral dune system is completely unaffected by monster tides that are destroying the world, and or how the moon/egg is only 100 million years old (and thus younger than most of its major craters), you're entirely on your own.

As always, most of this anti-scientific rubbish could have been avoided with a few seconds' thought, largely just by not having the Doctor say it.  Luckily, I've been enjoying the drama more than enough that I'm not mildly bothered: Dr Who and science are simply not related, and despite its educational origins, I don't think they ever were.

Judge Brian

I rate this as the worst of NuWho, & right bellow the Happiness Patrol in quality. Nearly unwatchable.

M.I.K.

Real life scientisty folk have genetically fiddledaboutified e coli bacteria so that it produces spider silk.

TordelBack

Quote from: M.I.K. on 05 October, 2014, 03:28:48 PM
Real life scientisty folk have genetically fiddledaboutified e coli bacteria so that it produces spider silk.

Woah, this I did not know, and indeed struggle to understand.  Fascinating stuff:  http://www.geek.com/science/spider-silk-is-finally-ready-to-be-commercialized-1587359/  Cheers, MIK - looks like the educational role of Dr. Who is alive and kicking.

JamesC

Did they make them grow legs and teeth too? :D

Mabs

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 05 October, 2014, 12:18:41 PM

Sorry, it made no sense at all, and was a load of gibbering bollocks.

That said, I'm loving this new Doctor's ruthless streak.

Couldn't agree more. But, I did still enjoy it. One thing I must say is the effects work has been so good in this series, the shot of the lunar landscape looked bloody marvellous at times.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

shaolin_monkey

Yeah, I still enjoyed it. Not sure what they were getting at re the choice to kill or allow to live, but the Doctor was brutal. I like that side of him.

Hey, I don't suppose this incarnation is the Valeyard..?!

Grugz

every week my wife tells me she doesn't like capaldi ,mind you she didn't like smith when he started or tenant...
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Judge Brian on 05 October, 2014, 03:20:59 PM
I rate this as the worst of NuWho, & right bellow the Happiness Patrol in quality. Nearly unwatchable.

The Happiness Patrol was great, so not sure I understand this ranking system.

Proudhuff

I'm enjoying the Grumpy Doc, only my age old pedant: 'sorry, what do they eat to get and stay that size/ in those numbers?' applied to the spiders.

Am I the only one who thinks Clara looks like a manga drawing?
DDT did a job on me

Richmond Clements

QuoteAm I the only one who thinks Clara looks like a manga drawing?

Nope! There are times when I'm convinced they've made her eyes bigger with sfx! 

Mabs

Quote from: Proudhuff on 09 October, 2014, 09:32:02 AM
I'm enjoying the Grumpy Doc, only my age old pedant: 'sorry, what do they eat to get and stay that size/ in those numbers?' applied to the spiders.

Am I the only one who thinks Clara looks like a manga drawing?

They probably eat each other! And I'm sure if I ask my kids, in particular my girl, she'll tell me they survive on the over abundance of cheese on the moon (thanks to Wallace and Gromit)!  :lol:
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

M.I.K.

They live beneath the surface of a giant egg. I think it's pretty obvious what they're eating.

Smarties or chocolate buttons. They have those teeth to get through the cellophane bags.

Proudhuff

I stand corrected.  ;)

Threadjacking alert!

One of my problems with Harry Potter was where the power for all that wizardry came from? Was the source of all that cosmic wand power creating the Mouldymort? I'd hope in the final there would be a reveal of the balance between good and bad, a yingyang chicken and egg thing, but no, both sides used cosmic energy willynilly, but we all know energy has to come from somewhere right?
DDT did a job on me

Noisybast

Apart from magic. Magic's, well, magic...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!