Main Menu

Life's so drokking fantastic because (the rebirth)

Started by vzzbux, 22 April, 2010, 08:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Something Fishy

Something Fishy

My son the lil'fishy did great in his A levels and sealed his place studying chemical physics msci at Bristol.   Very pleased for him.

Tjm86

Tidy.  Well done him.  Bristol has a pretty good rep to boot.

Something Fishy

Thank you.  Yeah and it's great for his subject and he just really liked the place , the course and the facilities.  He knew what he had to do and nailed in maths and the three sciences.  He did well.

Tjm86

Something Fishy

He needed AAA and got A*Maths, A Chem and Physics.  He also got a C in biology (didn't count to his course though so he didn't focus on, told us he wouldn't which was fair enough).

Tjm86

And for this you give him a 'he did well'?

Where is the ecstatic parental pride, screaming from the rooftops, spam bombing Facebook and breaking the Twittersphere?  Considering recent changes to Maths in particular I would respectfully suggest that you are doing his efforts and achievements a serious disservice.

Something Fishy

Thank you  :lol:  yes I probably am keeping a lid on it.

We're keeping it real though.  He did what he needed to do but didn't have to push himself too hard.  No doubt he will need to lift it at uni so we don't want to go overboard.

Having said that we are very proud of him and we've been out with grandparents today having a meal (which was funny as he had four hours sleep after getting home at 8 following an all nighter with mates.. well deserved).  Off out again next week with the other side of the family.

He's getting rewarded with a nice new pc for uni and we've saved like hell so we can pay his living costs so he only needs tuition fees, so he knows what it means to us I reckon  :D

Something Fishy

The biggest changes for him were the three sciences btw. All now entirely linear and based on the final result. Much tougher than they were so very chuffed

Tjm86

Just make sure he gets started on his post Uni job hunting in his first year.  With those subjects and grades he's on course but way too many students leave it too late and end up scrabbling in their final year.  At least with Bristol he's in the M4 corridor so there's loads of choice.  (Is Porton Down still going?)

Your right, I'd forgotten those changes.  Maths changed the question structure so it required more thinking.  AS was one of the bigger balls ups in post 16 education (and that is in the face of some pretty stiff competition). 

Anyway, congrats, to him and to you all as proud family.

Something Fishy

Ah yes you're right, I'd forgotten how much maths threw people last year especially.

Thank you, good advice.  He's on a msci with third year in industry which hopefully will help in terms of experience and options for the job hunt.   He's also been working this summer in QA for the D&E dept of a local manufacturer who produce pumps for the chemical industry amongst others and has been doing lots of work around fluids and flow which will be good for his CV.  We've been telling him is genuine gold dust when he's looking.

He has another week and a bit then a nice few weeks break before uni.  Well earned I reckon.

Tjm86

I had to reread that a few times.  I am losing it completely.  On the first attempt I thought you had said that he has been working for the 'chemical weapons industry'.  The really scary thought is that I'm stone cold sober.  Or maybe that's the problem.   ;)

Something Fishy

Probably just crappy wording on my part  :lol: apologies dude.

Bolt-01

...Because my youngest, the appropriately nick-named 'Nano-bolt' has just scored a spot at a selective grammar school for 'A' levels, after five years of home-schooling.

And she is also 'very' likely to be a red-shirt at this years Thought Bubble.

Right now, I'm a very proud Squaxx.