Main Menu

Thrillpower Overload: the missing chapters

Started by Frank, 21 November, 2016, 01:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

I *really* want a book of all these anecdotes with collected screenplays.

dweezil2

Quote from: Steve Green on 29 December, 2016, 11:14:27 AM

Oh drokk yeah!

'The Films Of 2000AD That Never where', I buy that book in a heartbeat!

Could fill a hefty volume by the sounds of it too!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 29 December, 2016, 11:14:27 AM

For official publication, rights-issues might be a headache. The studios still own that material and there's a possibility writers might have to be paid too.

Some of the names associated with the Shoreline era -

Christopher Donaldson (with Michael Bafaro)

Screenwriter
Shoreline Entertainment
2002 – 2004 (2 years)

Wrote the screenplay's for comic book adaptations for 'Judge Dredd 2:Possession and Judge Dredd 3: Dredd Reckoning.

As well worked on drafts for "Rogue Trooper.'

Alan Coulson

Screenwriter and director

Alan has been writing professionally for the screen for 10 years, working extensively in both the UK and the US. He wrote two new Judge Dredd movies for Morris Ruskin of Shoreline Entertainment, based on the 2000AD comic book character and has written novel adaptations and original screenplays for producers worldwide.

Andrew Prendergast

Producer
Rebellion/2000AD
2003 – 2005 (2 years)
Established LA office for Rebellion's video game, comic book and film divisions through international scholarship. Represented by ICM, packaged and sold television and feature film projects to studios and independent producers, including 'Judge Dredd' feature film for Fox

Andrew Prendergast ...directed music videos for various bands, has written several feature
films, including 'Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth' for Rebellion in the UK
  (I assume this is the "Dead Man" script he worked on with Mat Nastos)

JOE SOAP

Rewinding back to before the Shoreline era of 2001-2004 was Fleetway Film & Television 1996-1997 (for more background info see Thrill-Power Overload Chapter 18 and the chapter entitled Aftermath in Steve MacManus' memoir The Mighty One: My Life Inside the Nerve Centre).

The brilliantly named Harley Cokeliss was the producer hired by Egmont/Fleetway to develop 2000AD characters into films and he gave an interview to co-founder of SFX magazine, MJ Simpson, about what they were at. I don't believe the interview was published at the time.

Steve Green

dweezil2

These articles make me weep for what could of been!  :(

Although maybe we've been lucky in some regaards also!

Frank

Huge thanks to JOE SOAP for blowing his considerable load all over us. All I offer in return is a rare glimpse of elusive Cradlegrave and Indigo Prime art genius, Edmund Bagwell *, who's obviously just noticed Pete Milligan (left) and everyone else in the room is wearing the same flowery eighties shirt.

Image shared with permission of Shaky Kane

* nee Perryman and, in the context of Deadline, Anoniman

Frank

Kevin Hall gets some specifics out of David Bishop. Full interview here.

QuoteWhen I first donned the Rosette of Sirius on December 18th, 1995, our management had projected 2000AD would drop below the breakeven point. Once that happened, they would cancel the title.

When I took over at 2000AD, the editorial budget per issue was more than £500,000 a year. By the time I left, it had been slashed to £382,000 a year - essentially, the editorial budget was cut by a quarter between 1996 and 2000. Compare my first issue as editor, Prog 979, with my last, 1199.

Hundreds of thousands of pounds was also cut from the production budget in that time, but most readers and creators were unaware we were having to make do with so much less. Innovations I drove like making the page size a little narrower saved us tens of thousands.

Richard

That information makes me realise how under-appreciated Bishop was (/is?) as Tharg. We usually tend to remember the '90s as the comic's nadir, but actually he saved it.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 29 January, 2017, 03:09:19 PM
That information makes me realise how under-appreciated Bishop was (/is?) as Tharg. We usually tend to remember the '90s as the comic's nadir, but actually he saved it.

If only some of us had been pointing this out for the last decade or so...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

dweezil2

The 90's gets a free pass for The Pit and Zenith IV alone in my book.

Robin Low

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 January, 2017, 03:11:06 PM

If only some of us had been pointing this out for the last decade or so...

Hell, even I've said it several times over the years, even though I didn't agree with one or two of his decisions.

Regards,

Robin

Frank

We usually tend to remember the '90s as the comic's nadir ...

Despite heroic rearguard actions against evil Danish capitalists - whose twisted ideology meant they viewed publishing as some kind of profit making exercise - most readers agree the comic was at its worst during the nineties.

Understanding why the comic was awful doesn't mean it wasn't awful.

* Maybe we can have an exciting discussion about whether Tharg's lowest ebb came before or after Bishop took over. He famously had to burn through strips stockpiled by various predecessors, so let's start at prog 1000 - which Bishop identifies (in Thrillpower Overload) as the issue he sought to make his mark with material that was all Dave, all the time

Greg M.

Quote from: Frank on 29 January, 2017, 07:40:43 PM
Understanding why the comic was awful doesn't mean it wasn't awful.

Depends on your definition of awful - the lows were indeed largely as low as the prog's ever got, but the highs were (from my perspective) better than anything in the modern prog.

Frank

Quote from: Greg M. on 29 January, 2017, 08:01:29 PM
... the lows were indeed largely as low as the prog's ever got, but the highs were (from my perspective) better than anything in the modern prog

That's interesting, Greg. What were your highpoints (July 1996 - June 2000)?