Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

Yeah there have been some lovely pages recently - all too much for me to afford unfortunatly. But glad to see forum members are getting them :-)
It's a joke. I was joking.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: Skullmo on 22 January, 2013, 04:01:01 AM
In the excellent book the Art of Brian Bolland  (recommended reading) Brian recounts a tale from the late 70s where he went to the Daily Express office and bought some Jeff Hawke artwork from a couple of flunkies that had access to the store room where all the strip art was left. And the irony that a few years later a similar thing would be done to his art.

Interesting.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Colin YNWA

Okay can I ask a question (Dale please look away now). I was on the verge (literally I was two button clicks away) from bidding on one of Dale's pieces over on eBay - the Paul Marshal, Tyranny Rex page BUT and here's the thing the reason I was going to go for it was I love me some John Smith and I do like Tyranny and I do like Paul Marshal BUT I'm buying it cos its piece I like and can easily afford and its there, now available to me.

Now here's the thing I've seen some of the stuff some of you fellas get and while I'm not in your league yet, I seem to be getting he bug (I was warned). I got a Dante page and not just any, one I really wanted. I missed out on the really nice Dead Man page, which was a bit special. So I'm thinking maybe I could up my game a little and start looking for a wish list of stuff, (building up to getting an Old One Eye Page before I die!) rather than just going for bits I like and can afford that turn up.

So I'm looking at the Tyranny page (its a nice page), but I'd rather pay a more for a Jim Baikie 'New Statemen' page. So I stopped myself bidding (for now Dale I do like the page) and did a search, no luck. So before I go any further, do any of you fellas know if Jim Baikie New Statesmen pages ever come up and what I might expect to pay for one? Just want to know if I'm wasting my time holding out for 'Holy Grail' pages (either availability or cost) and should go for nice next best things?

hippynumber1

In short I'd say go for pages that you like when you can afford them! You'll quickly find your 'price' escalating as your collection increases and the more boxes you tick, the easier it'll be to ignore incidental pages. Start small and build! That seems to be the way it's worked for me anyway... I've never seen a 'New Statesmen' page crop up anywhere and there don't appear to be any on CAF either but they must be out there somewhere...

ming

Colin, it sounds like you've got your head on straight... It's hard to focus your sights on particular pieces and to ignore cheap-and-available stuff, especially with limited funds, but I think it's something that will really pay off in the long run.  I'd sooner have a handful of pages I really love than shedloads of so-so stuff that I have no time to enjoy or space to display.  (As it is I'm nearing the end of my own collecting odyssey, I think.)

Get yourself a wishlist and start putting out feelers in the collecting community (CAF, people here and Wake's site are a good start) to try and figure out how the land lies regarding the things you're aiming at.  Some people will play cards very close to their chest but on the whole people are helpful and enthusiastic (at least that's been my experience).  Prioritise what you want and prepare to wait; gives a chance to build up funds anyway (another reason to avoid impulse-buys of 'lesser' art).

As for Jim Baikie New Statesman; no idea, but I'll have a think and get back to you...

As usual, all of the above is just my personal opinion and probably contrary to that of everyone else!

:)

opaque

I've always thought go for what you feel you want, it doesn't have to be the piece from the 'best' or 'most popular' story, it should be what means the most to you. Does it bring back memories, is it an artist you really like, is there something in the story that gets you?

I have some big story pieces, some odd pieces from smaller stories, I bought one direct from Boo Cook because I really felt sorry for the little alien gonig to be killed by the priest in Asylum so I asked if I could buy the artwork and I have 13 ABSOLUTELY gorgeous pieces of Colin MacNeil's Devlin Waugh that I am incredibly happy with.

Most recently I suppose the last thing I bought was a Paul Marshall Tyranny Rex and Simon Jacob Armoured Gideon from Dale :) The Tyranny because I love the art even though it doesn't have Tyranny Rex herself in it. The Armoured Gideon piece because it's probably the page I remember the most from it.

My wishlist is really for odd pieces and I'd like to get more artists work I don't already have but my only real wishlist is for a piece of Ezquerra Apocalypse War!

Go with what feels good is what I'd say :)
And be prepared to spend lots of money!

Fatboydale

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 25 January, 2013, 07:13:52 PM
Okay can I ask a question (Dale please look away now). I was on the verge (literally I was two button clicks away) from bidding on one of Dale's pieces over on eBay - the Paul Marshal, Tyranny Rex page BUT and here's the thing the reason I was going to go for it was I love me some John Smith and I do like Tyranny and I do like Paul Marshal BUT I'm buying it cos its piece I like and can easily afford and its there, now available to me.

Now here's the thing I've seen some of the stuff some of you fellas get and while I'm not in your league yet, I seem to be getting he bug (I was warned). I got a Dante page and not just any, one I really wanted. I missed out on the really nice Dead Man page, which was a bit special. So I'm thinking maybe I could up my game a little and start looking for a wish list of stuff, (building up to getting an Old One Eye Page before I die!) rather than just going for bits I like and can afford that turn up.

So I'm looking at the Tyranny page (its a nice page), but I'd rather pay a more for a Jim Baikie 'New Statemen' page. So I stopped myself bidding (for now Dale I do like the page) and did a search, no luck. So before I go any further, do any of you fellas know if Jim Baikie New Statesmen pages ever come up and what I might expect to pay for one? Just want to know if I'm wasting my time holding out for 'Holy Grail' pages (either availability or cost) and should go for nice next best things?

Please remember any artwork i have on ebay , i am happy to do private deals , rather than give ebay loads of fee's .....

Over the last few years i have found myself more and more of a collector than a dealer , and in a fantasy world i would keep it all , but sadly having a collection like mine which seems to be going towards the high end prices , i must sell the smaller pieces .....

For any new collector of artwork , the best thing to remember buy from me .... lol , buy if you like it .... my stock is slowy going down and one day it will be gone , since them artists are using pesky computers and no new art will be sold ....

Spikes

Aye, youve got your head on alright Colin. But be warned - ive waited for pages to turn up, or have had one eye on one page, and one on another and missed out on both!
So if there's summat you love (and you should only buy stuff you love) and you can snag it, then snag it.

Colin YNWA

Thanks to everyone for their responses* its set my mind in the right direction I think. Apologise to Dale I'm going to hang fire and start drawing up a list of short medium and long term aims (doing that alone is going to be fun I suspect).

I've already got my eye on a Colin Wilson Dredd over at Comic Art Fan (whatever its called) and think I'll be getting in touch with Scott McCloud as I know he had some Zot! pages left a couple of years ago (actually maybe longer) that I really liked...

So fantasy one day you never know list so far

70's Jack Kirby double page spread
Old One Eye page
Will Eisner Spirit page
That Satannus spread by Mike McMahon, or I'd settle for the cover to Prog 74 I guess.

Well those ones don't need to be realistic! Now back to the real work and setting some realistic short term targets...

*Special thank you to Ming as well for offering help already!

hippynumber1

Thanks to Dale for holding this for me...

Spikes

Another fine aquisition there, Mark!

Spikes

Link Prime

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 26 January, 2013, 02:11:09 PM
Thanks to Dale for holding this for me...

That's the kinda piece that would be on my 'wish list'.
Congrats hippy, you're a jammy bastard lucky, lucky fellah.