Budget
    $90,000,000 (estimated)
Gross
    $34,693,481 (USA)
    ?7,023,123 (UK) (12 September 1995)
    $113,493,481 (Worldwide)
    $78,800,000 (Non-USA)

paulvonscott

Most if the big movie 'flops' actually make money.  Waterworld made money.  Maybe not as much as they'd like, but they often claw it back on dvd sales and the like.

I'd still buy a rejigged version of the Dredd Movie with loads of extras and commentaries (imagine a grant/wagner one, that would be choice).  I can't bring myself to buy one as is.

Dudley

All films starring Stallone have made money.

Bad Andy

I'm just looking through some reviews actually

James Berardinelli (2/5)
"Just about everything in this silly, sub-par science fiction farce is derivative. For example, there's an air speeder chase lifted directly from Return of the Jedi, and Dredd is littered with nods to Robocop. Those hoping for a coherent story would do better to stay away."

Roger Ebert (2/3)
"Judge Dredd never slows down enough to make much sense; it's a Blade Runner for audiences with Attention Deficit Disorder.
"Stallone survives it, but his supporting cast, also including an uninvolved Joan Chen and a tremendously intense Jurgen Prochnow, isn't well used. Only Assante, as the rogue Judge who frames his brother, holds up under the material, although the movie doesn't exploit the brother angle, maybe because that would have involved dialogue of more than one sentence at a time."

Mick LaSalle - SanFran Chronicle
"Stallone's articulation also is problematic. While no one would ever accuse him of trying to pass as Sir John Gielgud, he has demonstrated in his previous films a knack for putting over the kicker line at the key moment. But twice in Judge Dredd, at the climax of an intense scene, Stallone is unintelligible.
At one point, Diane Lane, as a fellow judge, asks Dredd whatever became of his closest friend. The sound track swells. 'Aye jushwa,' he sneers.
Aye jushwa?"

Matias Stuven (4/6)
"Men humoren har de for det meste forst?et at fange. Som f.eks. hvor Judge Dredd k?rer til en blok-krig for blot at erkl?re: "I am the law. Drop your weapons. These blocks are under arrest!" N?r vi nu snakker om humor, har Sylvester en ret s? underholdende m?de sige: "I am the Law" p?. Det bliver til "I am the L?r" og n?r han overfor sine kadetter p? skolen informerer dem om at alle Dommernes v?ben blot er: "Toys" bliver det til: "Tuys". S? man griner b?de n?r det er meningen og n?r det ikke er meningen."

Box Office Online (1/2)
"It's always interesting at a certain level to watch so much money moving around on-screen in the form of matte shots and CGI effects, but there's nothing here technically that hasn't been done far better elsewhere, often using considerably less. Assante is fine; supporting actresses Diane Lane and Joan Chen are absolutely wasted; and comic sidekick Rob Schneider gives what could be the single most obnoxious mainstream performance of the year. Stallone exists in a realm beyond analysis of his acting skills, and he's beginning to exist in a realm beyond analysis of his appeal."

And the most entertaining one which is a comment made on the above review -

Bad Andy

Avi Green from Israel

Dearest me, what an enragingly ugly movie this is. And there's nothing new here either. It's disgraceful that Sly Stallone should ever have had to waste his time in movies like this that are virtually offensive. One of the many things wrong with both the movie and even the British comic book it's based on is that viewers don't know what to think of the government and ruling party for whom Judge Dredd(or, more precisely, Dreddful) works, since it's portrayed as totilitarian with overtones of Nazism. On the other hand maybe the viewers do know what to think, and that's that the film's concept of futuristic leadership is downright offensive and insulting. Not that that's too surprising though, given that it's source materiel was also like that. I had once found a compliation of Judge Dredd stories in a used book store and was almost instantly offended by it, slamming it back on the shelves soon afterwards. The characters in it-even the good characters-weren't just ugly, they seemed to enjoy and promote it, too. They even-ugh!-played ugliness fo laughs. So too, in fact, are the filmmakers who've made this adaptation. If there's any comic books we should avoid these days, I think British books like Judge Dredd are it. And that's the same for this film.

Tu-plang

They should put those quotes on the back of the GNs.

JOE SOAP

A film needs to make 3 or 4 times profit on it's original cost or it's considered a waste of time to make it in the first place. In this respect Dredd is seen as a disaster.

Floyd-the-k

I had once found a compliation of Judge Dredd stories in a used book store and was almost instantly offended by it, slamming it back on the shelves soon afterwards

humorless pillock

Quirkafleeg

Those figures don't include the distribution costs and the cut the cinema takes etc?

Dudley

I want to watch one of these movies where the dialogue is "more than one sentence at a time."

paulvonscott

"They even-ugh!-played ugliness fo laughs."

Get Ugly!

I, Cosh

Was out on the bevvy with an ex-Squaxx tonight and (completely unprompted) he mentioned that AICN appeared to be falling over themselves for 2000AD at the moment and their enthusiasm was enough to interest him in some of the newer stuff.

=result in my book.
We never really die.

Rob Spalding

Top Gear tonight was using some of the theme music from the Dredd film in a segment.

recognised it immediately and shuddered.

radiator

I distinctly remember Tharg proudly announcing in Input way back in 95 that the Dredd film 'did better than Rob Roy!', but unfortunately less well than 'The Goofy Movie'. Actually, thinking about it now, maybe he was being sarcastic.

radiator

Do AICN keep archives of their reviews? I wanted to check out their other 2000ad reviews, but can't seem to find em.