Main Menu

It's really to bad that I hate Garth Ennis and The Authority...

Started by The Adventurer, 10 June, 2006, 01:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

I just realised Carlos Ezquerra drew The Authority: The Magnificent Kevin and thumbing through it's TPB I have to say the art looks fantastic. I'd pick it up, but my total interest in Ennis's writing and The Authority is pretty my much nil. (It opens up with a mastrabation gag...Christ, Ennis is so predictable.)

(Interesting, looking on Amazon, Ezquerra drew Just a Pilgrim too? I remember that book back 5 or 6 years ago being promoted in Wizard when I was just getting into comics. Long before I knew the wonder of Ezquerra's art. Very interesting.)

Anyway, my loatheing of Ennis and most of Wildstorm aside, what else has Carlos Ezquerra done in American comics? Anything of note worth tracking down?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Adventurer

*face-palm*

this was supposed to go in the Books/Comics section.

I also used the wrong "to" in the subject heading.
I'm a Mazdar Speelar!

doh....

Quirkafleeg

Carlos drew Condors, one of Ennis war stories, about from both of them

johnnystress

Just a Pilgrim is a great read! The Authority/Kev thing is pretty silly, just a bit of fun

Ezquerra also did one episode of the excellant Saint of Killers 4 parter- also by Ennis

And Bloody Mary- cant recall much about that though

Dog Deever

I like Kev and the Magnificent Kev- both arcs penned by Ennis, the first drawn by Glen Fabry. Pilgrim has a sequel, cant remember what it's called. I was supposed to get it for my birthday, but didn't! There's also 'Adventures in the Rifle Brigades' written by Ennis, drawn by Ezquerra. I hated most of Ennis' Dredd- but I think Ennis does too! I've never read any of the Authority apart from the Kev arcs- I think they're funny.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Woolly

'Saint of Killers 4 parter'

...as well as the Good Ol' Boys.

Floyd-the-k

I've read one Authority which was awful...just complicated story, far-too-super characters. However Ennis is cool as of course is Ezquerra, so I'll definitely have a look at the Kev stories. Are they available in book form?

mechanix81

The pedant in me feels the need to point out that it was saint of killers part 3 that Carlos drew...
Dawn of the first day. 72 hours remain.

The Amstor Computer

Both series of Just A Pilgrim are pretty good reads - really bleak, post-apocalyptic yarns laced with Ennis' traditional bitter black humour. They're also a nice showcase for some of the best of Ezquerra's modern colour art - better than some of his more recent work for 2000AD, in my opinion - and I'd have no hesitation recommending them to the board.

Both of the Adventures in the Rifle Brigade series should be on your buy list as well.

Noisybast

I've got series one and two of both "...Rifle Brigade" and "...Pilgrim", and I have to say that while Carlos' artwork is up to its usual high standard (higher in "...Pilgrim"), I'm not impressed with Garth Ennis' writing. I'm beginning to suspect "Preacher" was a fluke.

Ennis really is a massive one-trick pony. It's all just one big knob gag taken to its logical conclusion, and it's long since stopped being funny.

Case in point: Ennis' "Fury" miniseries features a character with some sort of horrifically disfiguring facial wound. His name? Fuckface.

Heard it all before, Garth...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Grant Goggans

I'd recommend Adventures in the Rifle Brigade.  Ennis keeps repeating the same gags over and over in it, but it's done extremely well, and had me howling in laughter several times.

The Adventurer

So what I'm noticing here is that everything Ezquerra has done for US comics, has been attached to Garth Ennis.

great...

Art

You should pick up War Stories just for the Esquerra art - it's quite possibly his best art job ever.

As for Ennis, I've long held a theory that there are in fact two people with the name Garth Ennis, one a hugely talented writer capable of creating works of genius, and the other a cheap, talentless hack who just phones it in. The art of reading a Garth Ennis book is in figuring out which one of them wrote it, and ditching if it's the Hack Ennis.

(Gratuitous Irish characters and knob jokes *can* be an indicator of a Hack Ennis work, though the Good Ennis has been known to use some of those elements too)

See also Warren Ellis, though the "good" Ellis may have been shrunk down to a pimple on the neck of Fatty Ego-Monster Ellis.

Grant Goggans

Well, there was Bob the Galactic Bum, which was a 4-part Lobo spinoff, I think, written by Wagner & Grant.

Honestly, I've come to understand that "Good" Ennis is illustrated by Ezquerra, and "Bad" Ennis is not.

JOE SOAP

Ennis, like the rest of us, is only human -you expect too much all the time. The only thing I disliked him for was some of his really crap Dredds.