Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlos

Totally agree, Greg  - I love it...

...Unlike Sean Chapman, who plays Frank - his interview on the Hellraiser II blu is very open and honest!

abelardsnazz

Nativity 1 and 2. Daft fun with a heart-warming message, perfect seasonal entertainment.

TordelBack

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 10 December, 2019, 08:11:02 PM
Nativity 1 and 2. Daft fun with a heart-warming message, perfect seasonal entertainment.

There is nothing about the premise, and little enough about the casting, of those two films that would interest me one jot. And the finale of the first one makes absolutely no sense. And yet I agree wholeheartedly: warm, silly fun that I end up watching whenever they happen to be on.

karlos

6 Underground.

Bay.  Reynolds.  Netflix.

Er...yeah.

von Boom

6 Underground. This could have been very good, I thought, if they'd had a decent editor to clip out the needles slow motion bits and dark broody shots. Get rid of all that and put it all in the right order and this could have been a tight action film coming in at around 90 minutes.

broodblik

I enjoyed 6 Underground for it was an over-the-top action romp. It could have done with less slow motion sequences.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Greg M. on 10 December, 2019, 03:03:17 PM
Quote from: karlos on 10 December, 2019, 02:33:23 PM
Hellbound: Hellraiser II

To me, it's the best of the Hellraiser films - it's much more over the top and even more grotesque than the first one, and Channard's a great villain.

It was my favourite for a really long time, it has some brilliant moments and really nightmarish imagery. The whole depiction of Hell is fantastic, especially all the 'Leviathan, Lord of The Labyrinth' stuff which has a great mythic weight to it that's prime Barker. Rewatching them these days I do think I prefer the first one for how focused it is, but some of the best moments in the franchise are definitely in Hellbound.

Watched a bunch of movies over the last few days, starting with the old Stephen King adaptation Graveyard Shift which I'd seen as a kid but could remember almost nothing about. It's a cheesy but fun creature feature, with the magnificent Brad Dourif rocking up to steal every scene he's in.

We rewatched The Predator for the first time since the Cinema and had a hoot again. Sure, it's very dumb in places but it's also just really good fun and I really like it. Also gave the 4k Blu-ray of Alien a watch and it was stunning as always. It's always when I put on a movie that I've seen loads and feel like I know intimately that I'm really hit with what the extra resolution and HDR adds. From the first shots of the ship I felt like I was seeing colours and details I've never noticed, it really gives it a new lick of paint. And of course it's a flawless film so was a joy to watch again.

Something I watched for the first time at the weekend was Eyes of Laura Mars which I heard mentioned in so many John Carpenter docs/interviews that I figured I needed to watch it (it's a movie he wrote the screenplay for before selling it and going off to make Halloween). It was decent enough, very much an American Giallo film, which with a couple of exceptions isn't a genre I'm generally that keen on. What kept me gripped was the great cast, was fun to see a young Tommy Lee Jones (I wasn't aware he was ever young) and once again Brad Dourif was absolutely fantastic and stole the show as usual. What a mesmerizing actor he is, in whatever role you fling at him.

Performances aside I wasn't bowled over by it, but glad I watched it and added it to the collection for Carpenter completion sake.

karlos

Conan The Destroyer was on telly last night.

Massively different to CTB, this has aged pretty well into a cheesy, obvious, D&D-esque kinda Conan (much like how the Marvel comics were at the time, IIRC).

A lot of fun, though.

MacabreMagpie

The latest version of Black Christmas is really bad.

It's like someone was told to write a movie about the #metoo movement and their research consisted of reading Twitter for half an hour. It's very much an "extremes of social media" take on it all.

Tiplodocus

The Last Legion which is a bizarre fall of Rome and Arthurian Legend mash up with a great cast giving terrible performances. It feels like four hours of movie edited down to two by simply cutting every scene in half.

And I wasn't expecting historical accuracy but surely having the 9th Legion re-appear as a fighting unit in 470Ad would be a bit like having Sharpe's company turn up in Saving Private Ryan. Worse.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 December, 2019, 08:38:29 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 01 December, 2019, 07:56:14 PM
Still, we've still got the Holiday Special😝. ( I've never actually seen that!)

Keep it that way.

Yeah - the best bits  you can no doubt find on youtube (did I say bits, should have been the one bit)*.

* first appearance of Boba Fett, in a ten-minute cartoon.

sheridan

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 03 December, 2019, 09:07:15 AM
Haven't seen The Fly II in many years but remember  messing me up! The first film is a real masterpiece, what always hits me hardest is the line , an incredible line delivered in such an amazingly haunting way, twists my guts every time I hear it.

I don't remember that line!  Riffing on Zhaungzi - clever!

MacabreMagpie

So I saw Cats. Didn't think I'd have any interest but it turned into one of those films I had to go see to find out if it is as irredeemably awful as it seems to be.

In short... not quite, but it's baaaad. I think the best way to describe it would be a lot of competent performances beneath god awful CGI that never, at any part, makes the characters feel convincingly a part of their environments. If you watch their feet (as I was, constantly) you can never sense any physical contact with the floor and at some points the perspective between the two elements seems way off. The rest of the time, the movements are jerky and lacking fluidity in a way that reminds me of the animation in early console games.

Ian McKellen, Judi Dench and Idris Elba have some scene-stealing moments that are absolutely everything to do with their physical performances and nothing to do with the cgi. Besides that, you'll spend 95% of the thankfully short experience trying not to gawp at how bad the effects are.

Also, I counted 4 walkouts which is a record in a screening I've attended.

Colin YNWA

broodblik

Midway an enjoyable war movie. The action sequence are well constructed but with any ‎Roland Emmerich‎ movie except some Gung-ho, Rambo sequences.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.